Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2015, 11:26 AM   #1

is anybody aware/experienced this problem

Hi guys, accidentally I came across a post on another forum for dead pixels on Nikon D7000, after some search I have found some interesting theories about the dead pixel occurrence correlating with the plane/airport passages with the camera. I was wondering if any of you have experienced the same problems with their Pentax?
Here are the links:
Dead pixels - evidence backing up my theory: Nikon DX SLR (D40-D90, D3000-D7100) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
cosmic rays degrade the sensor: Nikon DX SLR (D40-D90, D3000-D7100) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

03-23-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think maybe cosmic rays are causing a degradation, but not of a camera sensor...

The D7000 uses the same sensor as the K-5, but I don't remember any issues with dead pixels when it came out. The K-5 issues were sensor spots and mirror flop. Nikon sensors might have come from a different fab than the Pentax sensors.
03-23-2015, 11:51 AM   #3
Insanely humble
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't read any of the theories, but my K-5 hasn't suffered from the 20-something flights it has been through (of which 6 have been 10+ hours). The K-3 hasn't had time for more than 7 flights (2 10+ hours) yet, but again without ill consequences.

I'm not leaving it at home when I'm travelling again next week - and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it
03-23-2015, 11:58 AM   #4

Original Poster
The funny part is that I can see this problem mostly associated with Nikon bodies It could be Nikon related issue.

03-23-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I has read similar articles before but I have flown may times with my K-30 and have never experienced any dead pixels in almost 3 years of use. There is a pixel mapping option in the menu and it is there to use rather than using PS but again I still have not needed it. I think that if it were a true issue, failure rates would have increased significantly that would support this issue and I don't really see it.
03-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #6
Dark Underlord
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It could be a Nikon thing. By that, I mean that certain Nikon owners would prefer to believe that any dead pixels were caused by cosmic rays rather than believe their cameras are subject to the same earthly tribulations as other brands.
03-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
It could be a Nikon thing. By that, I mean that certain Nikon owners would prefer to believe that any dead pixels were caused by cosmic rays rather than believe their cameras are subject to the same earthly tribulations as other brands.
Haha. I thought they are Canon owners!
from a Nikon owner.
03-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

There was a lot of buzz about this several years ago (note 2010 date for the links) and several articles on various Web sites as a result. IIRC, it was mostly a bunch of hysteria about potential damage that was not backed up by real world experience or by real world behavior of digital sensors.

Steve

03-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I haven't read any of the theories, but my K-5 hasn't suffered from the 20-something flights
My K10D flew at least that often and as of this last summer when it moved to a new owner, it had no dead pixels...yep, none, zero, complete absence of.

Steve