Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2015, 10:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Is this a glimpse of the future

A few months i learned something i had never known at a launch event for the d810. Apparantly, according to the nikon rep, the biggest cause of noise is in fact sensor temp not in fact iso.. So, the "can do" person in me has been wondering "why dont they just cool the sensors?" Well apparantly there is a company that is dong just that with the worlds first large format digital camera. Spectral instruments offers a 110 megapixel large format camera
http://www.specinst.com/BrochuresDatasheets/1110S%20KT%20brochure_AH_web.pdf

I think this is very intriguing. If this could somehow be converted to a more manageable size that could work in consumer level cameras, it could take revolutionize photography (atleas low light shooting.) Astrophotography would certainly be more accessible. A cheaper, lower tech sensor that is auto cooled could perhaps out perform a much more advanced sensor.

I dont know, what do you think?

04-14-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Would definitely make sense for specialized applications, but I'd say that noise levels in consumer cameras are already at record lows, and they are bound to keep on dropping.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-14-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The largest source of noise we see in the imaging sensor at this time is the very light it’s self
photon noise
04-15-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Also the worlds first self powered camera
World's First Self-Powered Video Camera Unveiled in Interesting Things curated by Tim

bam

04-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Temperature does make a difference. My first time shooting with my K5 a few years ago was outside on a very cold night in early December and my ISO 12800 shots were relatively noiseless. I don't get results like that in the summer. This has been known about for a long time. I can remember threads on this way back when I was a noob with my K10D.

I don't know if it is possible to cool a camera sensor below freezing in warm weather.
04-15-2015, 05:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
My first time shooting with my K5 a few years ago was outside on a very cold night in early December and my ISO 12800 shots were relatively noiseless. I don't get results like that in the summer.
I have used the Pentax ist ds (ccd) and the K-01 (early cmos) in very cold conditions. Usually the batteries lie down.
I presume you noticed a difference in photos from say 269 K in winter to 301 K in summer
The dark current delta over that range should not be an issue on a consumer camera like the Pentax K5, with proper exposure.
What was the exposure time?
04-16-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I've never had battery issues in cold weather except for a couple of occasions using Sigma lenses with HSM which crapped out after 50 or 60 shots. These were in temps below 10F.

I have just noticed less noise in those high ISO shots I take in the winter months. It may be other things than the cold since I take far more high ISO shots over the winter months.

04-16-2015, 07:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the Forum members up in the astro threads has a modified K10 that he shoots with - with wonderful results!! He is from the bay area if I remember correctly. So, it can be done - even with Pentax consumer products.

04-16-2015, 09:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I was reading up on dark current noise after this thread.
As of about 2011, the dark current noise in a typical ccd or cmos depletion zone reduces by about one stop (to half) for every 16 C reduction in temperature.
That is at around 20 Celsius. The reduction is not linear and noise reduction by cooling is better when the temperature gets below minus 40 Celsius

So I put the K-01 in a bag with lens cap on and fired a 30 second exposure to a raw dng dile. Ambient was about 20C (68F). ISO was 100

The typical peaks of noise in the 16 bit tiff created from the dng ( apart from a few hot pixels) was (Hex) 0020.
So that noise is 10 to 11 stops below full brightness.
Actually I am not sure if that level was caused by dark current, because those levels are down near the lsb of the K-01's 12 bit adc, it might be adc jitter.
For example reducing the exposure time to 10 second, has about the same noise levels in the resulting tiff.