Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2015, 01:29 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I also used 2 flashes on PIXEL KING wireless triggers bounced off some big silver pillers at the sidestage for contrast control on the A7 shots to fill in shadows but not remove the ambient lighting.
Is there any delay triggering flashes with an a7? One huge reason I ditched the Sony a55 was that it had a 1/2 second delay from when the shutter was pushed until the flash actually fired. It was as bad as a point and shoot camera, and it did this when using the pop up flash or even when using a hotshoe mounted flash. Without flash, though, the a55 was very responsive. Does the a7 respond quickly with and without flash? I occasionally use manual flashes with a wireless trigger system.

07-06-2015, 02:29 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
Is there any delay triggering flashes with an a7? One huge reason I ditched the Sony a55 was that it had a 1/2 second delay from when the shutter was pushed until the flash actually fired. It was as bad as a point and shoot camera, and it did this when using the pop up flash or even when using a hotshoe mounted flash. Without flash, though, the a55 was very responsive. Does the a7 respond quickly with and without flash? I occasionally use manual flashes with a wireless trigger system.
I don't notice a difference between k5 and A7
***If i haven't half pressed there is a delay

Last edited by Sliver-Surfer; 07-06-2015 at 05:42 PM.
07-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #33
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
we went through this with the a7r, people were complaining that the flash adds delay when shooting kids and such, but it may have involved pre-flash af.

the f60m in manual mode doesn't add any delay at all: Sony a7R preflash and shutter delay measurements

you can set the manual flash levels when using hss, which i could never do with my pentax gear, but hss doesn't work when the flash is pointed upwards :-/ have to turn it sideways or something to get bounce, or diffuse it.
07-06-2015, 10:40 PM - 1 Like   #34

I can understand why you have this impression, because there is lots of half-baked information floating about on the internet. A lot of the early 'lossy compression artifacts' shown on the net were actually found to have been caused by other factors in the end.

I own an A7 and A7R, along with a Ricoh GR and 645Z. My Sony files do not show artifacts when pushed and, as a B&W shooter, I am quite hard on the files. You can look here, where 80% of the images are from the A7 and A7R (along with the Land series). The files are not quite as robust as the 645Z files, sure, but they are more robust than GR files, which sports a sensor shared with other Pentax APS-C bodies.

Sony lossy compressed files can show artifacts in extreme contrast transitions and the only place I have seen these reliably and repeatedly produced is in star trails at night, where there is of course a massively abrupt transition from the etched trail and the black sky. I've shot mine since release and not see problems in my normal usage. I cannot speak for everyone elses experience of course, but I would be surprised if they are different to mine.

In short: I am of the opinion that you can absolutely hammer A7 files in the context of regular photographic output. They may not be the very best out there, but they are close to the top. If your application is in graphical work or extreme non-photo realistic outputs, I cannot comment.

07-27-2015, 07:07 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Just another thought I have: When focus zooming with an a7, can you set it to work with a half push of the shutter, or do you have to push the C2 button twice every time?
07-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #36
Pentaxian

You can't assign focus zoom to shutter. I have my focus zooming set to c1 right beside shutter.