Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2015, 08:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Nkon F4 seen in shop window. Worth a punt?

Seen in Budapest for what seems to be a reasonable price incuding flash and zoom lens (couldn't quite make it out but think it's 28-70 or along those lines). Seemed in decent nick and for no real reason I have been hankering after one for a while as do have an F70 with a 50mm 1.8 lens and a couple of zooms. To go alongside my Pentaxes as something a bit different and I don't have n AF film camera..... Maybe in a months time or so if it's still there........ (Wanting to save up for a K3 as well, I am daft I know).

These are meant to be good aren't they? The price in pounds sterling is around £165.From earlier evilbay play seems to be around about a reasonable price. Only seen through glass however but the shop has some rather nice other things in their window and seem to be a well to do place. Worth it?

05-03-2015, 11:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That price is on the cheap side for a clean F4 where everything works, especially since it comes with a zoom and a flash. I bought an F4 body only off eBay about six months ago for about $190, just to give you an idea. As for the camera, the F4 is a very excellent piece of kit. It's big and hefty, but it fits the hand comfortably -- for me, probably the most comfortable camera I've ever held, despite its weight. What I like about it so much is it has knobs and levers and wheels and buttons. No LCD panels that you have to grope around for a user's manual to figure out what all the little arcane characters mean and which button sequence has to be pressed to activate a command. Plus, prior to the introduction of the rather expensive DF DSLR, the F4 was the only AF capable Nikon that would take the pre-AI lenses without damage. And if you're like me, where you have a collection that includes the old pre-AI lenses, having the ability to raise the AI coupling tab up out of the way is a nice feature.
05-04-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Was in the city again and had another look at it, comes with a 28-70mm lens but now it looks like my scanner may have had it it will have to wait for sure.......