Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2015, 01:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,292
Sony A7R II & PENTAX FF

The SONY A7RII will announce pretty soon (5/15, as rumor on sonyalpharumors).

It also rumor to offer 50MP, and definitely has image stabilization in this iteration.

For me at least, this set the bar for the Pentax FF to compete in - in terms of features and pricing.

great to have competition.

05-05-2015, 02:01 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,399
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
The SONY A7RII will announce pretty soon (5/15, as rumor on sonyalpharumors).

It also rumor to offer 50MP, and definitely has image stabilization in this iteration.

For me at least, this set the bar for the Pentax FF to compete in - in terms of features and pricing.

great to have competition.
50 MP would be cutting-edge but if the Pentax FF has been in development since last year, I doubt it will use that sensor. I'd be perfectly happy with 36Mp and a Pentax mount

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-05-2015, 02:02 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
enoeske's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Surprise, Az
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,123
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
The SONY A7RII will announce pretty soon (5/15, as rumor on sonyalpharumors).

It also rumor to offer 50MP, and definitely has image stabilization in this iteration.

For me at least, this set the bar for the Pentax FF to compete in - in terms of features and pricing.

great to have competition.
Can I make up a rumor about a 70mp camera and say that sony hasn't met the bar set by this new rumored camera?

I would rather have a 12 mp FF camera that has clean ISO 6400 - 12800 than a 50 mp FF that is only clean to 1600. I don't need to print large, I need to shoot in the dark.
05-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,670
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Can I make up a rumor about a 70mp camera and say that sony hasn't met the bar set by this new rumored camera?

I would rather have a 12 mp FF camera that has clean ISO 6400 - 12800 than a 50 mp FF that is only clean to 1600. I don't need to print large, I need to shoot in the dark.
Seconded! That would be amazing.

05-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,495
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
The SONY A7RII will announce pretty soon (5/15, as rumor on sonyalpharumors).

It also rumor to offer 50MP, and definitely has image stabilization in this iteration.

For me at least, this set the bar for the Pentax FF to compete in - in terms of features and pricing.

great to have competition.
The cropped images that Zeiss posted on Flickr are 50MP, but the uncropped images posted on EOSHD are 59MP. Almost a 60MP camera that should rival medium format for sheer resolution. Will it have PDAF? Uncompressed RAW? Face tracking and eye focus are already pretty good, but would be nice to see them improved with better low-light AF. The new Sony G 90mm Macro looks like the sharpest macro on the market and the Zeiss 85mm F/1.8 also looks like an amazing lens.


I would guess the A7rII goes for $2,000, but we will have to see what other improvements Sony has for the body.
05-05-2015, 02:56 PM   #6
Pentaxian
stillshot2's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Photos: Albums
Posts: 989
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I would guess the A7rII goes for $2,000
I am thinking $2300 is more likely, since this is what the A7r was selling for right before it's recent $400 price drop.
05-05-2015, 03:38 PM   #7
osv
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,080
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
I would rather have a 12 mp FF camera that has clean ISO 6400 - 12800 than a 50 mp FF that is only clean to 1600.
sony already did the 12mp ff high iso camera, and you can mount all of your pentax glass to it... if you are shooting in the dark, no af is going to work, so there aren't many reasons to want a pentax version of it.

downrezzing improves all aspects of pq, so it'll be interesting to see what can be done with 50mp.
05-05-2015, 03:53 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,495
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Can I make up a rumor about a 70mp camera and say that sony hasn't met the bar set by this new rumored camera?

I would rather have a 12 mp FF camera that has clean ISO 6400 - 12800 than a 50 mp FF that is only clean to 1600. I don't need to print large, I need to shoot in the dark.
You could make up a rumor, but with the A7rII there are actual images posted by Zeiss (85mm F/1.8) that are cropped to 50+MP images. EOSHD has 59MP uncropped A7rII images.


The 12mp camera has its place, but over 90% of photography is done at much lower ISOs. I would really recommend picking up the A7s. You have very specialized needs, so I would not expect to see a 12MP Pentax body. Sony only chose 12MP because its targeting the video crowd.

05-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 35,955
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
You could make up a rumor, but with the A7rII there are actual images posted by Zeiss (85mm F/1.8) that are cropped to 50+MP images. EOSHD has 59MP uncropped A7rII images.


The 12mp camera has its place, but over 90% of photography is done at much lower ISOs. I would really recommend picking up the A7s. You have very specialized needs, so I would not expect to see a 12MP Pentax body. Sony only chose 12MP because its targeting the video crowd.
I followed the link LFLee provided and did not see anything other than a post today from an anonymous source regarding the 50Mpx claim that SAR gave a 50% veracity score. There was nothing from Zeiss. Would you care to share the link?


Steve
05-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Parallax's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: South Dakota
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 16,819
As Sony is not s Pentax camera, it would seem the Non Pentax forum would be a better placee for this.
Moved.
05-05-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
Senior Member
Racerdew's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thousand Oaks, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 285
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Seconded! That would be amazing.
Yes, I don't need giant prints or files but great ISO rules!
05-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Stavri's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: at a Bean & Leaf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,755
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
sony already did the 12mp ff high iso camera, and you can mount all of your pentax glass to it... if you are shooting in the dark, no af is going to work, so there aren't many reasons to want a pentax version of it.

downrezzing improves all aspects of pq, so it'll be interesting to see what can be done with 50mp.
Pentax high end dslr cameras have always been equipped with class leading low-light focus abilities, the K3ii is spec'ed to focus in -4.5 EV, we can expect something similar or better on the FF.
05-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member
LFLee's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,292
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
50 MP would be cutting-edge but if the Pentax FF has been in development since last year, I doubt it will use that sensor. I'd be perfectly happy with 36Mp and a Pentax mount
Yeah. I believe 36mp for the pentax FF as well. I guess my point is... there is no way pentax is going to price it higher than this A7RII.

---------- Post added 05-05-2015 at 09:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As Sony is not s Pentax camera, it would seem the Non Pentax forum would be a better placee for this.
Moved.
The goal of the post is to point out, PENTAX FF have a tough competition, and I believe, it will not price it more than this A7RII.

but you are the mod.
05-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,790
QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
the K3ii is spec'ed to focus in -4.5 EV
That would be awesome, and ahead of everyone else, but where is that spec citied?

So far the 'low-light AF leader-board' looks like this, AFAIK:

- 3EV (K-5II, K-3, K-S2; Nikon D7200, D750; Canon 7D2, 6D; Panasonic G6)
- 4EV (Panasonic GH4, GX7, GM1, GM5; Samsung NX1; Sony A7s)

So -4.5EV would put Pentax ahead in the '-EV race'.
05-05-2015, 09:52 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Stavri's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: at a Bean & Leaf
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,755
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
That would be awesome, and ahead of everyone else, but where is that spec citied?

So far the 'low-light AF leader-board' looks like this, AFAIK:

- 3EV (K-5II, K-3, K-S2; Nikon D7200, D750; Canon 7D2, 6D; Panasonic G6)
- 4EV (Panasonic GH4, GX7, GM1, GM5; Samsung NX1; Sony A7s)

So -4.5EV would put Pentax ahead in the '-EV race'.
Did I say -4.5 EV? I confused it with the SR function (4.5 stops compensation). From all the complaints I wouldn't have guessed the Sony A7s AF performed at -4 EV
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
24x36mm, 36mp, ff, full-frame, ii & pentax, pentax, pentax ff, post, price, rumor, sony, sony a7r ii
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax 645D vs Sony A7R RAW JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 22 06-10-2015 09:23 PM
Sony A7 or A7r with Pentax limiteds? auricle Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 24 10-07-2014 01:41 PM
Australia - Sony A7 & A7R -$550 off noelpolar Pentax Price Watch 10 08-12-2014 02:19 AM
Sony A7R & Pentax lenses fnflying Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 05-05-2014 12:56 PM
First look at Sony's A7r FF mirorless body JohnBee Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 160 10-24-2013 08:22 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:58 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top