Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Full Frame vs Micro 4/3 Revisited with Pro Olympus Lens

QuoteQuote:
Months ago I shot a head to head comparison with my OMD EM10 and a Canon 6D. In that test, the 6D image was clearly sharper, but the lens used on the EM10 was not necessarily known for its quality (17mm f2.8). Many readers on the 43rumors site mentioned the need to shoot it again, but with a better lens. Fast forward to a few months later, and the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 is now my go-to lens for the mirrorless system. The optical quality of the 12-40 is no secret as it's one of the highest rated options in the micro four-thirds line. What a difference a lens makes, as this time, the results were vastly different. Before digging in to the close up comparisons, I thought it would be helpful to show the full scene for context.

05-15-2015, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Just shows that increasing sensor size does not always make up for lens deficiencies, and that you may be better off shooting a near flawless, hi-end lens on APS-C or m4/3 than shooting a lesser, flawed lens on FF. The larger sensor is not a sure cure for shortcomings in glass. A lesson to all those who think cheap glass on expensive FF camera is the way to go.
05-15-2015, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Just shows that increasing sensor size does not always make up for lens deficiencies, and that you may be better off shooting a near flawless, hi-end lens on APS-C or m4/3 than shooting a lesser, flawed lens on FF. The larger sensor is not a sure cure for shortcomings in glass. A lesson to all those who think cheap glass on expensive FF camera is the way to go.
I wouldn't consider Canon's 17-40mm F4 L lens cheap. I think this is more a case of bad technique to serve a purpose.
05-15-2015, 01:19 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe this test mostly show that when testing cameras it might be a lot that varies when there is one year between the shots.
A lot of the difference shown can be due to difference in weather.

05-15-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
I wouldn't consider Canon's 17-40mm F4 L lens cheap. I think this is more a case of bad technique to serve a purpose.
exactly... funny how people fall for it hook line and sinker tho?

i just about fell out of the chair laughing over the author's claim that "I won't hesitate to use the Olympus over the Canon for these once-in-a-lifetime landscapes."

he posted that drivel a week ago, with the market now on the verge of seeing 50mp ff cameras... no one in their right mind would want to use either of those cameras for "once-in-a-lifetime landscape" shots.

i think that we'd all agree that the upcoming pentax ff is going to mop the floor with both of those cameras... for that matter, i'd take a k3 over either of those cameras or at least certainly the cheesy little m4/3 camera! yuk
05-16-2015, 07:13 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
M4/3 has come a long way.

That said there are a few ways to see the article.

1. That in a real world use, the Oly is good, very competitive to the 6D combo and worth a consideration.

2. That the 17-40L is an old lens and not comparable to a newer m4/3 lens.

Both are valid IMO only in the limited context of what he owned.

The 17-40L isn't known for edge performance.
So if the author wanted a best lens vs best lens comparison, it would be the new 16-35/4, not the old 17-40L.
05-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Where did I say the Canon 17-40 L is cheap? That sort of misconstruing misses the point. The point is that in some circumstances, the quality of the lens will have a larger impact on perceptual image quality than the size of the sensor. That point is not directed at photographers using Canon L glass, but to those who think that a larger sensor will allow them to great results with less than stellar glass. But for those who can't wait to shoot on a Pentax FF camera lenses like the A 35-105, the F 35-70, the F 35-105, the FA 28-105, don't be surprised if photographers shooting lenses like the DA 17-70 and the DA 18-135 on APS-C end up with images that consistently look better.