Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sony A7rII - 42MP

Sony a7R II Alpha Mirrorless Digital Camera (a7RII Camera Body) B&H

I guess we know what to expect from the new Ricoh FF.

It has a BSI sensor!
4K internal

http://resourcemagonline.com/2015/06/sony-has-announced-the-a7r-ii-impressiv...capture/53885/

Last edited by Winder; 06-10-2015 at 10:54 AM.
06-10-2015, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
impressive tech but I would be surprised if Ricoh can get anything but previous model sensor
06-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
impressive tech but I would be surprised if Ricoh can get anything but previous model sensor
Agree... although, it is still few months away between this (Sony model) and the new Ricoh FF, who knows, it could be.

Edit: it would be very nice if they can fit a sensor better (or updated) than the D750.
06-10-2015, 12:15 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It has been speculated/observed here about the implicit lag between when Sony uses their own technology in one of their products, then it appears in a Nikon release some time later - 6 to 9 months. Then Pentax is able to get it about 6 months or so after Nikon's use of it. So, since it appears that Pentax is probably using the same sensor (or some close relation) as in Nikon's D800/810, Pentax is probably 18 months out - as in version II of their full frame offering.

That said, the technology will probably be available to Pentax in terms of the MF sensor for the 645Z replacement.

Last edited by interested_observer; 06-10-2015 at 12:21 PM.
06-10-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I thought the Pentax FF can beat this A7RII in some features before this.

It appears, the only thing Pentax FF can compete with the Sony A7RII is ... in price. Hopefully.

Good news for camera lovers, bad news for Ricoh/Pentax.
06-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I thought the Pentax FF can beat this A7RII in some features before this.

It appears, the only thing Pentax FF can compete with the Sony A7RII is ... in price. Hopefully.

Good news for camera lovers, bad news for Ricoh/Pentax.
I don't know about that.

A camera is more than a sensor. I don't think mirrorless options are just not what a lot of folks are interested in. If you are a pro and are interested in f2.8 zooms, Sony's ecosystem is probably not the best option.

Biggest question in my mind is if Pentax can get close to Nikon/Canon quality auto focus with their new zooms and full frame lenses. If they can, then the 36 megapixel sensor will probably be good enough.
06-10-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know about that.

A camera is more than a sensor. I don't think mirrorless options are just not what a lot of folks are interested in. If you are a pro and are interested in f2.8 zooms, Sony's ecosystem is probably not the best option.

Biggest question in my mind is if Pentax can get close to Nikon/Canon quality auto focus with their new zooms and full frame lenses. If they can, then the 36 megapixel sensor will probably be good enough.
I like the IQ and lack of mirror.
It really is just the size that bothers me.
That said, I'm going to sit back and watch as this thing rolls out. However, if it delivered, I'm thinking I might reluctantly give mirrorless a taste this year. - doesn't look very comfortable to hold though :/

06-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Agree... although, it is still few months away between this (Sony model) and the new Ricoh FF, who knows, it could be.

Edit: it would be very nice if they can fit a sensor better (or updated) than the D750.
This 42MP is a BSI sensor. It should blow the D750 away. I would bet money that this 42MP is going to be in the new Pentax FF.
06-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't know about that.

There are a lot of "Pro"s who don't use F/2.8 zooms. The zooms are a function of convince and an F/4 zoom is a lot more convent to carry all day. With today's high ISO capabilities you don't need the speed like you did in the film days. If the goal is shallow DoF subject isolation then break out the primes. That said, the A9 is still expected and it will be a bigger body that will balance with the F/2.8 prime lenses. Sony has 8 lenses planned for 2016, so I guess we are still one year away from the A9 and those big lenses.

Kenspro has all but said the Ricoh FF will have the 42MP sensor in it. Technically he said it would be "less and 46MP" and be "Sony's newest technology". Unless Sony has a new 36MP sensor coming out I don't see it happening.
06-10-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Kenspro has all but said the Ricoh FF will have the 42MP sensor in it. Technically he said it would be "less and 46MP" and be "Sony's newest technology". Unless Sony has a new 36MP sensor coming out I don't see it happening.
I agree with you. This odd sentence at the time about "less than 46MP" now takes an whole new meaning... I even thought that it could be a typo meaning "less than 36MP" and a 24MP FF. Today, I don't think it was a typo anymore!
06-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If Ricoh has seen this in advance, perhaps that's why they kept delaying the FF this year - they could've known the 42MP BSI sensor was in development already, and the mockup was because the exterior might still change depending on other things they can do inside with newer tech. I'm hopeful this A7r II's new sensor would come into the Pentax FF, but there's a big chance it won't too. It's up to how much Ricoh can offer to get it earlier than usually allowed by Sony.

As for the A7r II well, Sony always does release nice things with their top-of-the-line cameras. Canikon marketing (and being established in the market especially with the pro's) is just so hard to beat.
06-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
I agree with you. This odd sentence at the time about "less than 46MP" now takes an whole new meaning... I even thought that it could be a typo meaning "less than 36MP" and a 24MP FF. Today, I don't think it was a typo anymore!
When I asked Kenspo he said no to 24/36 & 50 then I said 40..no answer...so I think 42 may be it & 20MP crop? a perfect all around camera...if Pentax was using and old sony sensor(D750/810) then why wait till Dec to release it? it must be a step above what's out here (says Kenspo)..
06-10-2015, 05:29 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
This 42MP is a BSI sensor. It should blow the D750 away. I would bet money that this 42MP is going to be in the new Pentax FF.
Yes it will. The bsi Samsung is using is stunning in apsc. Fingers crossed Ricoh gets their hands on this [sony] asap.
06-10-2015, 06:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Technically if you look at timelines, the Sony A7rII was supposed to be released in late March, early April. It was just delayed until now (unknown reason) Fast forward 6 months, we are in October/November. It could very well be an agreement similar to the ones with Nikon where Pentax could get to use the sensor 6+ months later.

As others have pointed, this is also probably the reason behind the whole FF secrecy in terms of specs and also the weird prototype. Probably per the agreement, Sony does not want to cannibalize their new product sales by selling sensors to third parties.

In addition, if you also think about it, the 36MP sensor will be almost 3 years old at the time of the 'scheduled' Pentax FF release. It makes no sense to use such an outdated sensor (even though its still great by today's standards) in a new flagship product.
06-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

OK. So imagina a 42 MP FF sensor, with pixel shift...