Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2015, 12:31 PM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
I don't know what this is telling about me but when I saw the grooms beer bottle I knew the pic was probably taken in Styria/Austria :-)

I am also JUST ABOUT to buy the A7-II ... however could somebody post some experience about focus peaking/manual focus with the A7?

I plan to use the A7-II for daily stuff, portraits but also weddings and concerts (I wonder how fast the focus peaking/EVF is with low light when e.g. a singer moves fast). I have some f/1.4 lenses to use with the A7-II.
I shoot low light shows with nothing but manual focus on my a7 I usually shoot at f2.8-4 even when I use Super fast lenses and I have no problems.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/22931121@N07/sets/72157652185876818

07-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #47

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
I shoot low light shows with nothing but manual focus on my a7 I usually shoot at f2.8-4 even when I use Super fast lenses and I have no problems.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/22931121@N07/sets/72157652185876818
aaah, nice pics; quite similar to what I do sometimes. And to add: I never thought that getting the pics right would be easy, even with focus peaking.
07-13-2015, 05:44 PM   #48
Veteran Member

I am also JUST ABOUT to buy the A7-II ... however could somebody post some experience about focus peaking/manual focus with the A7?

I plan to use the A7-II for daily stuff, portraits but also weddings and concerts (I wonder how fast the focus peaking/EVF is with low light when e.g. a singer moves fast). I have some f/1.4 lenses to use with the A7-II.
I received your PM in regards to focus peaking. I primarily use my 31mm LTD on my A7II since it has an aperture ring. I don't have too much of an issue with peaking at 1.8 on that lens. My Sigma 85mm relies on an adapter for aperture adjustment and wide open I think peaking is not quite as accurate as I would like. The zoom feature more than compensates though. I played with the Loxia 50mm F/2 and really loved the lens for MF work, but it automatically zooms in when you turn the focus ring.

The image quality of the A7II is very, very good for portrait and wedding work. If you need really high ISO it still lags behind cameras like the D750, but its better than a Canon 5DII and thousands of wedding photographers use that camera.
07-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #49
osv
Veteran Member

focus peaking is based on the contrast that the lens has, some people call it microcontrast, but that's not a measurable quantity.

so experiences will vary, based on the lens that was used, and how the evf is setup.

with sony, you should be shooting b&w jpegs, because that's what the evf display is based on, with peaking at it's lowest level... that way the peaking only shows up at the peak focus time, with sharp onset and sharp dropoff.

the fa35 on my a7r is good in that respect, probably better than any other wide lens that i've put on the camera.

07-13-2015, 08:17 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
focus peaking is based on the contrast that the lens has, some people call it microcontrast, but that's not a measurable quantity.

so experiences will vary, based on the lens that was used, and how the evf is setup.

with sony, you should be shooting b&w jpegs, because that's what the evf display is based on, with peaking at it's lowest level... that way the peaking only shows up at the peak focus time, with sharp onset and sharp dropoff.

the fa35 on my a7r is good in that respect, probably better than any other wide lens that i've put on the camera.
Ha i never hear or tried this before..works awesome even with my Pentax-A 1.2/50. I made sure to set my jpeg size to 6mpx so I don't have to take up too much xtra space. Thanks for the tip
07-14-2015, 05:28 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Using Sony A7II + Mitakon 50mm F0.95 For Wedding Photography - DIY Photography
07-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #52

thanks Winder and the other owners for your opinions. I just could not resist and ordered an A7-II ... being proud owner of a K50mm f/1.2 and a Pentax LX for about 3 weeks I found that this is actually a really awesome combo, probably the one missing thing I have ever wanted, but since I prefer shooting digital most of the time I guess that I will enjoy the A7-II a lot. So looking forward to next week when the toy arrives ;-)

07-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #53
Pentaxian

thanks Winder and the other owners for your opinions. I just could not resist and ordered an A7-II ... being proud owner of a K50mm f/1.2 and a Pentax LX for about 3 weeks I found that this is actually a really awesome combo, probably the one missing thing I have ever wanted, but since I prefer shooting digital most of the time I guess that I will enjoy the A7-II a lot. So looking forward to next week when the toy arrives ;-)
Order a new pk adapter right away. My 50 1.2 is on my a7 most of the time ,they were made for each other
07-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #54

Order a new pk adapter right away. My 50 1.2 is on my a7 most of the time ,they were made for each other
yep, I heard various opinions about cheap adapters so I ordered a novoflex adapter, so my DFA100mm WR can be used not only wide open ;-) I am so excited, about a year ago I started thinking about getting the A7 (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/268...derations.html ) but wasn't sure so I did not decide
07-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #55
Pentaxian

yep, I heard various opinions about cheap adapters so I ordered a novoflex adapter, so my DFA100mm WR can be used not only wide open ;-) I am so excited, about a year ago I started thinking about getting the A7 (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/268...derations.html ) but wasn't sure so I did not decide
I like fotga adapters
07-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #56
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been watching the A7 series closely for a long time, and lately prices on the new and old models are really starting to become a threat to my bank account. I've seen A7's in great condition going for $800 or less, A7Rs in great condition going for $1100-1200, and new A7IIs in the $1300-1400 range. I think my strategy is to wait until the A7IIs are closer to $1k before I jump in (because I really want a stabilized FF sensor), but man it's hard to hold off. By the time Pentax releases their FF camera, I think it'll probably be too expensive and too late for me. In my case, I'm using a K-x and NEX-6, so I could easily imagine dual-wielding an A7II and K-3.
07-15-2015, 10:44 AM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by jcdoss Quote
...By the time Pentax releases their FF camera, I think it'll probably be too expensive and too late for me. ...
Yes, and I am also tempted by the EVF for manual focus ... I don't think Pentax is that innovative and does what I hope (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/297084-everything-c...ml#post3279177), I think Canon does this first.

Last edited by infoomatic; 07-15-2015 at 10:55 AM. Reason: wrong link
07-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most of the people who have been howling for a Pentax FF will find some reason or other not to actually buy one.
07-15-2015, 12:05 PM   #59
osv
Veteran Member

Ha i never hear or tried this before..works awesome even with my Pentax-A 1.2/50. I made sure to set my jpeg size to 6mpx so I don't have to take up too much xtra space. Thanks for the tip
like that idea for saving space on the sd card... have you been able to see a difference with the lower-rez jpegs, when focusing at full magnification?

the sensor resolution determines how much magnification the evf has, it's pretty interesting.

---------- Post added 07-15-15 at 12:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Most of the people who have been howling for a Pentax FF will find some reason or other not to actually buy one.
lol... first thing that comes to mind is the anti-equivalence mob, as i think that you put it ff haters that'll go to their deaths convinced that aps-c has more dof than ff

but seriously, pentax ff is way too late to the game, too many people have already jumped ship... even if it brings 42mp, there won't be an evf.
07-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
but seriously, pentax ff is way too late to the game, too many people have already jumped ship... even if it brings 42mp, there won't be an evf.
... yes, especially now that the entry level FF are similar priced to the top level aps-c.