Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2015, 05:14 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I don't disagree with anything you said in your post, except for the above small quote. I went to DXO mark and compared it to A7II and D750, at 6400iso, A7s is 1.4 stops ahead of the other two FF mentioned. One can downres the A711 and D750 pics, but i don't know how to compare those down res'd pics.
You are viewing the wrong data. SCREEN shows per pixel noise. I can't think of any use for that data.

When you click on PRINT on the score page, it will show the results of viewing or printing images at the same size; 8mp resolution.

Sony A7S versus Nikon D750 versus Sony A7 II - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

Resolution is also interesting. DXOMark only has no lens tests for the A7S, but here are the scores of a 12mp D700 vs. 36mp D810, using the same lens, a 35mm Sigma f1.4:
  • D700 Sharpness: 10mp
  • D810 Sharpness: 30mp
These are not the bodies we're discussing, but the results are very similar to an A7S (12mp with blur filter) vs. A7R (36mp, no blur filter). No matter how good the sensor and lens, a camera is limited by its innate resolution. A perfect lens mounted on a perfect 12mp sensor will only resolve 12mp.

Last edited by audiobomber; 07-06-2015 at 05:20 AM.
07-06-2015, 05:29 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Another big plus for A7II is the Eye AF (with hundreds of AF points) and the new Zeiss Batis AF ^^ the nearest eye will always be in focus even if the subject moves in 3 dimension !!!
now, if somebody make bad photos with that combo, it's absolutely not the camera's fault
07-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You are viewing the wrong data. SCREEN shows per pixel noise. I can't think of any use for that data.

When you click on PRINT on the score page, it will show the results of viewing or printing images at the same size; 8mp resolution.

Sony A7S versus Nikon D750 versus Sony A7 II - Side by side camera comparison - DxOMark

Resolution is also interesting. DXOMark only has no lens tests for the A7S, but here are the scores of a 12mp D700 vs. 36mp D810, using the same lens, a 35mm Sigma f1.4:
  • D700 Sharpness: 10mp
  • D810 Sharpness: 30mp
These are not the bodies we're discussing, but the results are very similar to an A7S (12mp with blur filter) vs. A7R (36mp, no blur filter). No matter how good the sensor and lens, a camera is limited by its innate resolution. A perfect lens mounted on a perfect 12mp sensor will only resolve 12mp.
Yep, i used your link and clicked on "Print" not screen, and it still shows the 1.3 stop advantage of the A7s at 6400 ISO on the Dynamic Range measurements - estimating the curve at that iso. About.

Last edited by philbaum; 07-06-2015 at 10:07 AM.
07-06-2015, 11:37 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Yep, i used your link and clicked on "Print" not screen, and it still shows the 1.3 stop advantage of the A7s at 6400 ISO on the Dynamic Range measurements - estimating the curve at that iso. About.
I see now where our signals crossed. I was talking about noise, you are talking about Dynamic Range.

07-06-2015, 12:36 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here we go:
A&M Wedding on FLICKR
07-06-2015, 12:56 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Ok, now that I shot 1818 pictures with the K-3 and the K-5IIs during the wedding, mostly using the FA31, I can now state:
Who in his right mind would ever think about selling Pentax stuff?!?!

I might at some point buy some mirrorless, but damn what was I thinking? I will stick with my Pentax stuff!
I love it!

As soon as I am done with post processing, I will upload some pictures here.
It's ALL about the glass IMO... what good is a mega sensor with pants glass

It helps of course when the camera behind it is pretty good too though
07-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Fantastic job!!

07-06-2015, 01:08 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Fantastic job!!
I just sent out the link to the couple... and I am sitting on nails. I really hope the like the pictures.
After all, this was for friends, and my first ever wedding...

BR René
07-06-2015, 05:53 PM   #39
osv
Veteran Member

you covered that well, some great photos, like the colors, they should be very happy!

from a photographers perspective... were there any shots of the ceremony? need to have that pic of the ring going on the finger

since people were touting k3 af superiority earlier in this thread... not seeing it in those pics, in fact quite the opposite when viewed at 100%, focus issues were the biggest weakness of the set.

i don't use af on the a7r tho, so i don't have any af frame of reference.
07-06-2015, 11:38 PM   #40
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
from a photographers perspective... were there any shots of the ceremony? need to have that pic of the ring going on the finger
Got two here. Not the best, unfortunately, but getting a good view from both sides was not easy...

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
since people were touting k3 af superiority earlier in this thread... not seeing it in those pics, in fact quite the opposite when viewed at 100%, focus issues were the biggest weakness of the set.
I think most of the issues here will probably be due to the lack of skills from the photographer
I shot 1818 pictures, 524 made it into my final set. That's a bad keeper rate.
However, most of the pictures I deleted were the "not so good duplicates" of other shots I kept, and not deleted due to bad focus...
07-07-2015, 01:11 AM   #41
Veteran Member

I shot 1818 pictures, 524 made it into my final set. That's a bad keeper rate.
that's not that bad ^^ I usually shoot ~1000 photos a session and ~20 make it into my final list =)))
A&M Wedding on FLICKR
the FA*85 and FA31 suit you well
07-07-2015, 01:51 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
the FA*85 and FA31 suit you well
Damn I love those lenses. Who needs Zooms anyway?
07-09-2015, 11:28 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Thanks for sharing, stick with what you have (I envy yours) and develop more skills on what you are doing.

Besides, FF is almost here.
07-13-2015, 09:11 AM   #44

I don't know what this is telling about me but when I saw the grooms beer bottle I knew the pic was probably taken in Styria/Austria :-)

I am also JUST ABOUT to buy the A7-II ... however could somebody post some experience about focus peaking/manual focus with the A7?

I plan to use the A7-II for daily stuff, portraits but also weddings and concerts (I wonder how fast the focus peaking/EVF is with low light when e.g. a singer moves fast). I have some f/1.4 lenses to use with the A7-II.
07-13-2015, 10:22 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by infoomatic Quote
I wonder how fast the focus peaking/EVF is with low light when e.g. a singer moves fast
On my NEX, focus-peaking does help a bit, but it's no substitute for a good AF lens.

In low-light you want to use fast glass, but with wide open apertures comes very shallow DOF. Combine shallow DOF with a dynamic subject and low light, and manual focus can get very challenging, even using focus peaking.

And even using AF lenses, the A7 II's AF is only rated -1 to 20 EV, which means it has the same low-light sensitivity as a K-x or K-5.

So overall not much point getting a A7 II to shoot low-light, IMHO. Get a A7S or A7r II instead, or a K-3 .