Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-06-2015, 12:26 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Q has a cousin !

....hi All, a few weeks ago I got a used Sony QX10.I paid about half retail and I'm impressed.

CUTE as a Q ! ! ! size of a sink plug(half the volume of a Q(approx.) 100gms

18mp ....30fps video..... but no raw. 25/250mm zoom...f3.3 to 6ish....

So its controlled by an app on your phone(it works well with latest firmware)

Not everyones cup of tea but here are my applications

1... I attach it to the hotshoe of the Q and shoot video with QX and continuous stills with the Q(surfing and other action stuff)

2....Street shooting is very discreet....I can point it anyware while I'm looking in another direction at my phone

3.....Drone...just an idea at this stage as I don't own one....start the video then lift the drone and do a flight...the video will continue till drone returns and is in range to switch it off

4...Concerts..music festivals where its shoulder to shoulder and difficult to see....a 100gm camera isn't going to become a burden when lifted overhead

So all in all a very versatile tool to compliment the Q in the first application

07-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
....hi All, a few weeks ago I got a used Sony QX10.I paid about half retail and I'm impressed.

CUTE as a Q ! ! ! size of a sink plug(half the volume of a Q(approx.) 100gms

18mp ....30fps video..... but no raw. 25/250mm zoom...f3.3 to 6ish....

So its controlled by an app on your phone(it works well with latest firmware)

Not everyones cup of tea but here are my applications

1... I attach it to the hotshoe of the Q and shoot video with QX and continuous stills with the Q(surfing and other action stuff)

2....Street shooting is very discreet....I can point it anyware while I'm looking in another direction at my phone

3.....Drone...just an idea at this stage as I don't own one....start the video then lift the drone and do a flight...the video will continue till drone returns and is in range to switch it off

4...Concerts..music festivals where its shoulder to shoulder and difficult to see....a 100gm camera isn't going to become a burden when lifted overhead

So all in all a very versatile tool to compliment the Q in the first application
Sounds interesting. I'm curious to know where it saves the pictures. There's no mention of any memory card.
07-06-2015, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #3

It saves pictures to micro-SD and/or to phone/tablet.

Can be controlled by phone, tablet, or wrist-watch-style live-view remote, or buttons on the QX.

I usually do setup on mine with a tablet before leaving car, if needed, then typically use buttons on QX while monitoring framing on the LVR - unless I have it up over my head on a stick, or have left it on a Jobi Gorillapod clamped to a fence, and backed away, when I monitor and control with the LVR only (or sometimes with tablet - the big screen view can be REALLY nice).

Fun little bugger, but sometimes hard to keep level. Keeping a monopod, selfie-stick, or mini-tripod screwed into the base helps somewhat with that.
07-06-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
Forum Member

it takes a micro SD card, or if you're not in any great rush it can save direct to your phone

07-06-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well ...Big news on the small camera scene....the GO PRO 4 $$$ession model has been launched yesterday....very capable but $399US

its go pros first waterproof without a housing, half the size of the other 4 models when they are in a housing and 40% of their weight

down on features, only 1080 video and 8mp stills, but 2 hour battery life which is sealed in
07-07-2015, 01:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This thead is not about the Pentax Q. Why is it still here?
10-17-2015, 09:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

yeah plz delete.... this is content marketing... no need for that in here.

10-17-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moderator!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by patarok Quote
yeah plz delete.... this is content marketing... no need for that in here.
So, does anyone here know how to get the attention of a moderator??
10-17-2015, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

IIRC, this is on the NON-Pentax part of the forum - so it looks perfectly reasonable that it should remain here
10-17-2015, 01:57 PM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
IIRC, this is on the NON-Pentax part of the forum - so it looks perfectly reasonable that it should remain here
Exactly.
10-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Sony QX1 looks really cool too. Ive wanted one for a while
10-17-2015, 03:01 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeallen01 Quote
It's been moved since my post. Was originally in the Pentax Q forum, so yes - it's fine here now.
10-17-2015, 04:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's been moved since my post. Was originally in the Pentax Q forum, so yes - it's fine here now.
It was good that a moderator finally noticed the previous placement, and fixed it.

However, by the way things are listed here, it may remain at/near the top of the Q list for some time, because the Q list gets so very little traffic
10-19-2015, 11:58 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OH BOY!, finally found where you got to!

Yes, the QX1 is on my wish list, it'll be great for discreet street!