Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
07-20-2015, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #91
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like you guys have found a new way to get squirrels out of a thread! Bore them to death with the same age old arguments everyone has heard a thousand or more times!

Regards!

07-20-2015, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Looks like you guys have found a new way to get squirrels out of a thread! Bore them to death with the same age old arguments everyone has heard a thousand or more times!
Rupert,

In the last 12 hours you've returned to this thread at least four times to make ridiculous posts that aren't even funny while other people are trying to have a conversation. It's extremely disrespectful and disruptive. You're not going to stop? Are you really so offended? Why not just leave if it really bothers you so much? It's like people are having a conversation, and someone else walks into the room and says "That's already been discussed in the past!" and then starts harassing everybody.

Hopefully a moderator does something about it. Removing your posts would be appreciated, if you can't find it in yourself to do so.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-20-2015 at 07:05 AM.
07-20-2015, 07:36 AM   #93

i think you had it covered when you mentioned affordable not sure what specs are required to edit 4k but i'm betting more expense
07-20-2015, 08:05 AM   #94
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Rupert,

In the last 12 hours you've returned to this thread at least four times to make ridiculous posts that aren't even funny while other people are trying to have a conversation. It's extremely disrespectful and disruptive. You're not going to stop? Are you really so offended? Why not just leave if it really bothers you so much? It's like people are having a conversation, and someone else walks into the room and says "That's already been discussed in the past!" and then starts harassing everybody.

Hopefully a moderator does something about it. Removing your posts would be appreciated, if you can't find it in yourself to do so.
Edgar, you started this anti-Pentax thread, extolling the virtues of the Panasonic LX100. In fact, you started it in the Pentax DSLR discussion forum and I moved it here. Now, there was nothing wrong with having started the thread, but when someone starts a "xyz brand is no good because....." thread on an xyz brand-specific forum he surely must realize there's going to be some fallout. You can't spit into the wind and not expect a little backsplatter.

07-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Rupert,

Edgar, I'd like to say I am sorry you are offended, but I'm not going to lie, I am not sorry you are offended but I am sorry you are so deadly serious in your attack on Pentax that you can't find any time for a little humor in your thread. For those that have no sense of humor, no time for a little fun, and no use for a little pure nonsense in their lives once in a while I have the utmost of sympathy for what must be a serious and miserable existence without joy and the ability to poke a little fun at ourselves once in a while.

Maybe you should go the the park and watch the squirrels play for a while and see what you are missing? I have never seen a miserable squirrel, they are all full of joy, happiness and a love for some fun and games. I've learned a lot from them......looks like you could too?

Regards!
07-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #96
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The very first sentence in my original post reads: "Why are Pentax and the other APS-C DSLR makers dragging their feet on adding 4K to their cameras?" And that's the most provocative line in the whole post.

How is that an attack on Pentax? It is an observation on the state of the camera industry. You should calm down, set your emotions aside, and re-read my first post.

I love my Pentax camera. But 4K video has become important to me. That was basically what my first post said. Those of you who are claiming that I am attacking Pentax are off base, and are coloring my remarks with your own emotions.

And yes, I realize there will be some "fallout" and "splatter" as you put it. It was predictable. Because there are those types of people in the world. But that does not excuse anybody for being needlessly rude. Most people on here have not been, but there have been a few who have not been able to help themselves. That says much more about the people throwing around insults, than it does about me.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-20-2015 at 10:09 AM.
07-20-2015, 10:16 AM   #97
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Titles like the one you posted tend to be a little inflammatory. "Pentax is going to lose me if they don't...." Probably not best to post a thread titled "Is 'x' lens the greatest Pentax lens of all time?" either.

We all have seen repeated posts by people who have become enamored with a newer generation camera from another brand and come back to tell us how they are leaving. Pentax is a traditional still photography company. Their video hasn't been great over time. I don't use it much, but I have been told that the best video from a Pentax body is the K5 II/II s.

I would say that whatever you are recording, there will come a time why it will be supersceded by newer video formats and will look not as good in comparison. Your kids will appreciate it most if you have put it into some format where in twenty years they can actually view it. That is what I'm not sure about. If you have a stack of mini DV tapes, there is no guarantee that you can watch them now.

07-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #98

I quickly read through this thread so I'm missing some of the finer points, but y'all sure get defensive about video features. :P I get that you might be tired of such discussions but how's about you don't partake in conversations that you find tiresome? Not everyone has spent weeks lurking the forums to see what threads are dead horse topics.

I understand that Pentax doesn't have much of a priority in video, I don't really expect them to which is why I have another system for video. I came to photography from a video background originally so I definitely understand its importance, and 'future-proofing' your footage is no bad thing. I'd like to be able to look at home movies I shoot now in 10-20 years and it not look like crap when seen on whatever standard television resolution exists then.

If you're looking for 4K and solid video features now in a SLR-styled body, I'd recommend looking at the Panasonic G7.

Last edited by ZackHuggins; 07-20-2015 at 10:41 AM.
07-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Titles like the one you posted tend to be a little inflammatory. "Pentax is going to lose me if they don't...."
Yeah...I already admitted that it was a poor thread title, and it wasn't meant to be inflammatory. What more can I do? I suppose if the title is too much for some of the forum members to handle, I could petition a moderator to change it.

But anybody who got past the thread title to read my actual remarks should have seen that I wasn't ranting and raving or running Pentax down.
07-20-2015, 11:01 AM   #100
Veteran Member

But that does not excuse anybody for being needlessly rude.
If you see a little fun and humor as rude, and apparently you do, then you need that walk in the park more than I do.....for certain. There is no life and death situation here regarding video or much of anything else.

Your post would have been less inflammatory and better titled as "I love my Pentax but am needing better Video" and then gone on to explain your situation. Yes, less inflammatory, and I suspect you were going for inflammation rather than assistance.

Take that walk in the park, I guarantee it will do you some good if you see a little fun and humor as "those types of people in the world". Personally, I'd like to see more of them, not less.

Regards!
07-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #101
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Can anyone here actually name 4 people they know in their city who have bought Pentax dslrs in the last decade?
Ummmm...yes, I believe I can. I can name at least 20 if needed*. OTOH, I only know one person who purchased a dSLR primarily for video. I guess it depends quite a bit on what circles one frequents. I don't live in LA (thankfully). I only know a handful of video professionals and their choice of tools may be outside the norm. I know several hundred dSLR owners, most of whom use their cameras for still photography. I live in the Northwest and art flows a little differently here.

Steve

* I think I can probably name at least that many locally who shoot film with Pentax! The Portland area is, well, a little unusual...
07-20-2015, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #102
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Rupert,

In the last 12 hours you've returned to this thread at least four times to make ridiculous posts that aren't even funny while other people are trying to have a conversation. It's extremely disrespectful and disruptive.
Rupert is providing perspective and comic relief. He is sort of famous for that and much appreciated by many of us. I am sure he meant no disrespect, particularly not on a personal level.

Steve
07-20-2015, 11:22 AM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am sure he meant no disrespect, particularly not on a personal level.
Certainly not! My squirrels are not mean spirited or vindictive, they may be cheaters, crooks and thieves, but I often warn others not to do business with them. Otherwise they are just harmless and out for a good time and whatever they can find to eat around here. They aren't picky, they will eat most anything!
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/3-site-suggestions-help/299943-question-change-name.html

Regards! & Thanks for your clarification Steve!
07-20-2015, 11:36 AM   #104
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZackHuggins Quote
I came to photography from a video background originally so I definitely understand its importance, and 'future-proofing' your footage is no bad thing. I'd like to be able to look at home movies I shoot now in 10-20 years and it not look like crap when seen on whatever standard television resolution exists then.
This is a very, very, valid point and one that requires serious consideration for any digital imaging purchase. Digital imaging, both still and motion, is a relatively young technology, one in which there have already been several orphaned branches. Future-proofing requires some wisdom and ongoing due diligence. The challenge is less whether archival footage looks good, but rather whether it can be viewed at all 20 or 40 years from now! IMHO, it is a given that vintage clips will look crappy on future displays.

The best evidence I can think of is television news and program footage from the '80s. That video was recording using equipment that was state of the art at the time and looked great on the televisions of the time and probably still would if a full-analog viewing path were available. Instead, what we see now in documentaries and such now are digitally archived footage that often looks and sounds very nasty.* At the very least I would hope that in future viewings of today's home movies our faces remain recognizable and that we not sound like we are talking in barrels! Never mind whether it is cropped or less resolution.

Steve

* I am reminded of 8mm home movies my friends had transferred to VHS and subsequently had digitized from tape (the original film having been destroyed). The originals were often crude to start with and the digital versions are well...
07-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That video was recording using equipment that was state of the art at the time and looked great on the televisions of the time and probably still would if a full-analog viewing path were available.
I imagine it still looks a great deal better than the footage from equipment of the same vintage that was NOT state-of-the-art at the time. I'm sure that video shot now will look bad by comparision in 20 years no matter what I shoot with, but still better to shoot with the good stuff now.

But you do bring up a good point (though it might be going off-topic) about how it's maybe more vitally important to make sure this stuff gets backed up in some fashion securely. Who knows what the future may bring? It's hard to predict what file formats might go extinct
Closed Thread