Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 28 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pentax is going to lose me because of 4K

Why are Pentax and the other APS-C DSLR makers dragging their feet on adding 4K to their cameras?

I replaced my Sony RX100 with a Panasonic LX100 compact camera last December for 4K, and there are now many other lesser devices, including smartphones and action cameras, that record 4K video. So why aren't we seeing it in APS-C DSLR's yet? Even the newest ones, like the K-3 II and the Canon 7D II don't have it.

I've been waiting for somebody to release an affordable system camera that has both 4K and sensor shift stabilization (IBIS), and Panasonic has just done so with the new GX8. In addition to 4K, it has the following features:
  • Tilting EVF
  • Fully articulated OLED touch screen
  • Microphone input
  • Hybrid/dual stabilization system that can use IBIS and lens OS together for even greater stabilization effect
  • Magnesium alloy body that is dust and water resistant
  • Brand-new 20MP sensor that is supposed to be a marked improvement over previous generation 4/3 sensors
This camera seems to check almost all of my wishlist boxes, and I could see it replacing both my K-30 and my LX100. I've looked hard at m43 in the past, because of the amazing lens system, but the sensors weren't quite up to snuff for low light work compared to APS-C. But the compact bodies and all of those great, small, inexpensive lenses have been hard to resist.

If the K-3 or K-3 II had 4K, I probably would have already upgraded and been committed to the system for the foreseeable future. But if the new sensor in the GX8 does not disappoint, then I don't see any reason to not make the switch.

07-17-2015, 08:46 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What do you plan to do with your camera take pictures or be the first kid on the block with latest gizmo ?
07-17-2015, 09:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
What do you plan to do with your camera take pictures or be the first kid on the block with latest gizmo ?
What kind of comment is that? LOL! Why do you even have a DSLR? Why not just use your camera phone like most people do? Who are you trying to impress?

But seriously, have you seen high-quality 4K video? It really is a big difference. It's like getting the image quality of a DSLR photo, but it moves. It's the closest thing to being there I've seen, and that's why I like it.

I want 4K in my camera so I can record my videos in 4K. And when I spend money on lenses, I want to be able to use them to record video. So if a different system will allow me to use my lens collection for 4K, then that is compelling for me.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-17-2015 at 09:09 AM.
07-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

sad to say but Pentax reps have been quite firm on the matter that they're putting stills IQ as priority over video... After the K-01 there hasn't been a noteworthy leap in Pentax video asfar as advancements go.

07-17-2015, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Different users has different needs. I don't feel that Pentax (Ricoh) must adress everyone's needs, but I do understand what you want and why. Myself I'm a stills photographer first and foremost, and if I want video then I want a dedicated video camera. I'm not a fan of pressing as much functions as possible in one body. I do remember the Optio... was it called the Optio MX? It looked like a videocamera (or a Super 8 on stereoids) but was also for still photo. Maybe it was before it's time... but an interesting concept. My main problem with a DSLR as a videocamera is that stills and video photography means different holding of the body, and the body can't be designed for both functions so you have to make compromises and most DSLR's for video (if not all) are designed for still photography. Video is an after though in the handling and exterior design. This is when you handhold it, if you use a tripod then it doesn't matter really... But when handholding, oh a camcorder with a pilot grip a'la Super 8 days that is my preferences...
07-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RMabo Quote
Myself I'm a stills photographer first and foremost, and if I want video then I want a dedicated video camera. I'm not a fan of pressing as much functions as possible in one body.
I understand your point, but I don't see how allowing a DSLR to record at 3840x2160 instead of just 1920x1080 would make the camera any harder for you to use for still photography.

I knew there would be a lot of push-back to my views, but I wanted to get my thoughts out there anyway, since Pentax is probably losing a customer.
07-17-2015, 09:34 AM - 8 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I knew there would be a lot of push-back to my views, but I wanted to get my thoughts out there anyway, since Pentax is probably losing a customer.
Rofl...

Name:  jddhaskjdasd.png
Views: 632
Size:  7.7 KB

Can't lose a customer that you never had.

-Heie

07-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #8
osv
Veteran Member

i wonder if the pentax ff will have 4k video?

dpr just posted some gx8 stuff: The big beast: hands on with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8: Digital Photography Review

i used to shoot video for a living, i've done a couple of paid video jobs where i used my a7r, but the big liability for me with removable lens cameras is that they don't have much if any motorized parfocal zoom capability... you have to go to a camcorder body to get that.

so a slow crawl shot is out, unless you use full-time af, which looks real amateurish... for pro results, you'll have to shoot in film-style mode, like hollywood does.

which might be o.k. for what you want to do, just sayin'... with the gx8 you'd have one body to carry around, which is an advantage, if one video camera is enough to do the job.
07-17-2015, 09:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Why are Pentax and the other APS-C DSLR makers dragging their feet on adding 4K to their cameras?

I replaced my Sony RX100 with a Panasonic LX100 compact camera last December for 4K, and there are now many other lesser devices, including smartphones and action cameras, that record 4K video. So why aren't we seeing it in APS-C DSLR's yet? Even the newest ones, like the K-3 II and the Canon 7D II don't have it.

I've been waiting for somebody to release an affordable system camera that has both 4K and sensor shift stabilization (IBIS), and Panasonic has just done so with the new GX8. In addition to 4K, it has the following features:
  • Tilting EVF
  • Fully articulated OLED touch screen
  • Microphone input
  • Hybrid/dual stabilization system that can use IBIS and lens OS together for even greater stabilization effect
  • Magnesium alloy body that is dust and water resistant
  • Brand-new 20MP sensor that is supposed to be a marked improvement over previous generation 4/3 sensors
This camera seems to check almost all of my wishlist boxes, and I could see it replacing both my K-30 and my LX100. I've looked hard at m43 in the past, because of the amazing lens system, but the sensors weren't quite up to snuff for low light work compared to APS-C. But the compact bodies and all of those great, small, inexpensive lenses have been hard to resist.

If the K-3 or K-3 II had 4K, I probably would have already upgraded and been committed to the system for the foreseeable future. But if the new sensor in the GX8 does not disappoint, then I don't see any reason to not make the switch.
Comparing 4k video in a smartphone or small-sensor P&S to a DSLR is a bit ridiculous. These small sensors can't even resolve a true 4k image.

The hardware necessary to support 4k video on APS-C is both expensive and prone to excessive heat. DSLR companies are waiting for the smallest (take up less space and easier to cool) chips (CPU, RAM, etc) to become cheap before implementation. Big technology companies like Sony and Panasonic have the advantage is this regard.
07-17-2015, 10:18 AM - 3 Likes   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I've never understood the grousing of poor video in Pentax DSLR's.... buy a camcorder and be done with it...
07-17-2015, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess the question is what you are doing with your footage. I currently do take some video of my kids with my SLRs, but it is kind of clumsy and the files just end up sitting on my hard drive, because it takes a lot of time to edit video. Seems like 4K would take more computing power to edit in a decent way.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if Pentax does include 4K video at some point, but I doubt it will be a great codec. More the idea of checking a box in reviews.
07-17-2015, 10:23 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

Does Pentax ever owe you anything? Even if they decide to do it... people would still buy other brands since they have done that earlier, and most likely better.
07-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Can't lose a customer that you never had.
LOL, maybe I should say that Sigma is losing a customer!

But over the years I've bought two Pentax bodies and four Pentax lenses, and my brother-in-law bought a body and two lenses on my recommendation, so I don't think I've been completely worthless as a customer and promoter, even if you see it that way.

I've just found Sigma lenses to provide a better value and/or superior performance. And I have no desire to own an SDM lens after Pentax made the business decision to not stand behind its product. Take another look at my lenses, and tell me which one I should replace with an equivalent Pentax product? The only one that you could make a case for is the 30mm, but that is not so black/white either.

---------- Post added 07-17-15 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Does Pentax ever owe you anything?
Did I say that? Why the caustic tone?

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-17-2015 at 10:38 AM.
07-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have to admit, you don't have a lens I'd replace if I had it.... and I'm not going to say you should stay. In fact what are you hanging on for? Now about that Sigma 100-300 ƒ4.
That's supposed to be a hell of a lens.
07-17-2015, 10:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
sad to say but Pentax reps have been quite firm on the matter that they're putting stills IQ as priority over video... After the K-01 there hasn't been a noteworthy leap in Pentax video asfar as advancements go.
Ron, while Pentax hasn't exactly hit a home run in video, the worst aspects of the K-01 video have been improved on considerably. While the data rate for the K-3 is about the same, the compression artifacts are not nearly as apparent; the jello effect (with electronic SR 'off' on both units) is nearly eliminated; and the audio track has gone from 32 khz (less than cassette tape quality roll off) to 44 khz (CD quality) - and far less AGC distortion.

As to Edgar's original comment, I think the issue is mostly a matter of computing power. You will sacrifice something in FPS, AF capability, battery endurance - or most likely all of the above - if you devote the power resources to quality implementation of low compression 4k. As it is, the compression on 2k is a legitimate gripe. So, as so many have said so often - Pentax is not the best place for balancing stills and video in a single unit. When 4k comes, no one is expecting Pentax to be significantly more competitive - let alone a leader. The Pentax crowd has a pretty good idea of what it wants, and cutting edge video isn't on that list.

Last edited by ScooterMaxi Jim; 07-17-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Closed Thread