Photos: Gallery | Albums
X-T2 with Fujinon 55mm f1.6 DM

my new (to me) Fuji lens arrived today

01-21-2021, 02:56 AM   #2327
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
That lens has re- invigorated you.
I wouldn't say that. Since I bought it I've been taking very few photos, mainly because the weather has meant I get out very little and the focal length is on the long side for using in the flat.

I am still waiting on the 23mm which will be a much more useful lens for me, and have had some problems with Amazon. Madrid had a very heavy snowfall which turned to thick ice and is only now really disappearing, which of course is not Amazon's fault. I bought the lens on the 14th and the product page stated the 22nd for delivery, but after the purchase the mail stated the 1st of February. When I spoke to Amazon support on the 18th the product page showed delivery on the 21st (one day before what it had stated for me, and this four days later). Now, on the 21st, the product page states delivery tomorrow. And yet my lens has not even left the Amazon warehouse.

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
For those that don't care about a movable screen, then they can just leave it in the fixed position!
The counter-argument is that people who don't want it also don't want the extra size it adds to the camera. This is the reason why Pentax has left a tilting screen off the new K-3 III. Personally I feel that a tilting screen is worth the small size increase as it's incredibly useful, having originally been against it as something likely to break. Fujifilm and Pentax are pretty much the only makers who really care about keeping gear small while at the same time maximising image quality.

"Just don't use it" is easy to say but the size is there even for those who don't use it, in the same way that the development cost is there for video functionality even for those who don't use it. In the end everyone wants a product that's tailored to them and "just don't use it" grates when it's something you have to pay for or where the additional size or weight will hold you back.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
my new (to me) Fuji lens arrived today

I knew there was a 50/1.6 and from the moment I read about it I wanted to try one out just because it's unusual. I've seen a few for sale but haven't yet gotten a Fujica X-mount film camera I could use it on. I didn't know until very recently that there was a 55mm f/1.6 too.
01-21-2021, 04:40 AM   #2328
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

I knew there was a 50/1.6 and from the moment I read about it I wanted to try one out just because it's unusual. I've seen a few for sale but haven't yet gotten a Fujica X-mount film camera I could use it on. I didn't know until very recently that there was a 55mm f/1.6 too.

why would you need a film camera to try it?
01-21-2021, 04:45 AM   #2329
Pentaxian

Original Poster
why would you need a film camera to try it?
OK, so a film camera or yet another adapter for my Fuji. At the time I started looking at the Fujicas I didn't yet own a mirrorless camera.

01-21-2021, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #2330
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, so a film camera or yet another adapter for my Fuji. At the time I started looking at the Fujicas I didn't yet own a mirrorless camera.
gotcha - I picked up an AX-X adapter for $20 to go with the new lens....

who knew I'd end up with a drawer full of adapters....

(:
01-21-2021, 04:58 AM   #2331
Pentaxian

Original Poster
gotcha - I picked up an AX-X adapter for $20 to go with the new lens....

who knew I'd end up with a drawer full of adapters....

(:
I could have told you that as soon as you said you were getting a Fuji camera. I have:
  • Pentax K
  • Pentax DA
  • M42
  • Minolta SR
  • Nikon F
  • Konica AR (though I no longer have any lenses)
01-21-2021, 05:10 AM - 2 Likes   #2332
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I could have told you that as soon as you said you were getting a Fuji camera. I have:
  • Pentax K
  • Pentax DA
  • M42
  • Minolta SR
  • Nikon F
  • Konica AR (though I no longer have any lenses)
ah, the list.... who doesn't love making lists?

mine:

- Leica M
- M42
- Pentax K/DA
- Fuji AX
- Contax/Yashica
- Nikon F
- Olympus OM
- Minolta MD
- Praktica B
- Rollei QBM

and I'm trying to resist the Konica A/R......

01-21-2021, 06:03 AM   #2333
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't say that. Since I bought it I've been taking very few photos, mainly because the weather has meant I get out very little and the focal length is on the long side for using in the flat.

I am still waiting on the 23mm which will be a much more useful lens for me, and have had some problems with Amazon. Madrid had a very heavy snowfall which turned to thick ice and is only now really disappearing, which of course is not Amazon's fault. I bought the lens on the 14th and the product page stated the 22nd for delivery, but after the purchase the mail stated the 1st of February. When I spoke to Amazon support on the 18th the product page showed delivery on the 21st (one day before what it had stated for me, and this four days later). Now, on the 21st, the product page states delivery tomorrow. And yet my lens has not even left the Amazon warehouse.

The counter-argument is that people who don't want it also don't want the extra size it adds to the camera. This is the reason why Pentax has left a tilting screen off the new K-3 III. Personally I feel that a tilting screen is worth the small size increase as it's incredibly useful, having originally been against it as something likely to break. Fujifilm and Pentax are pretty much the only makers who really care about keeping gear small while at the same time maximising image quality.

"Just don't use it" is easy to say but the size is there even for those who don't use it, in the same way that the development cost is there for video functionality even for those who don't use it. In the end everyone wants a product that's tailored to them and "just don't use it" grates when it's something you have to pay for or where the additional size or weight will hold you back.

Just a comment. Amazon . Too much power. There needs to be more realistic competition for these huge companies. Small business has a hard time if even they could survive, covid killed so many small businesses. What does one do ?
01-21-2021, 12:47 PM - 1 Like   #2334
Pentaxian

ah, the list.... who doesn't love making lists?

mine:

- Leica M
- M42
- Pentax K/DA
- Fuji AX
- Contax/Yashica
- Nikon F
- Olympus OM
- Minolta MD
-Olympus
- Praktica B
- Rollei QBM

and I'm trying to resist the Konica A/R......
My 35mm list:

-Pentax M42
-Leica Rangefinder screw mount
-Minolta
-Petri...yes Petri. Uncommon.
-Canon F-1
-Pentax K mount
-Yashica
-Olympus
01-22-2021, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #2335
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just a comment. Amazon . Too much power. There needs to be more realistic competition for these huge companies. Small business has a hard time if even they could survive, covid killed so many small businesses. What does one do ?
I agree but it's increasingly convenient to use, especially now in CoViD times. But as far as I'm aware these Viltrox lenses are not available anywhere else, certainly not any real physical shops around here.

Plus, my buying and selling of photographic stuff is done almost exclusively in cash and that keeps it out of the watchful gaze of the household's Ministry Of Finance. Cash can be exchanged for Amazon gift cards of specified amounts at the Post Office in the next street, allowing me to buy their goods online without the MOF being aware.

01-22-2021, 06:32 AM   #2336
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

people used to say the same thing about Walmart's empire...

I have no issue with Amazon or any other business/corporation that is successful because of the way they do business....

I use them just like I use any other business - like a consumer....
01-22-2021, 06:33 AM   #2337
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-H1 with Fujinon 55mm f1.6 DM

01-22-2021, 10:53 AM - 2 Likes   #2338
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

GFX50R with SMC takumar 55 f1.8

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2021 at 13:17 ----------

If it wasn't for daily dog walks I would be getting not photography done at all. Yesterdays walk, early on a Ghost Bike (story in description) Too many of these sad Memorials in Toronto GFX50R with GF30MMf3.5

Last edited by eddie1960; 01-22-2021 at 11:18 AM.
01-22-2021, 11:53 AM - 4 Likes   #2339
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

and one of Blu GF30 on GFX50 - not bad bokeh for f4.5 on an ultrawide (well not quite ultra but very wide 24mm equivalent)

01-22-2021, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #2340
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Images of the 3 new Fuji lenses.

Just go to the rumour site for a look, if interested.

The updated 27mm IS weather sealed and has an aperture ring as the leaks suggested.I'd imagine it has an updated motor too.

70-300 looks like it doesn't have an aperture ring or if it has its unmarked?