Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2021, 08:28 AM - 4 Likes   #2776
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 7,911
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
( FYI - I just received my new Viltrox 56/1.4 in XF, so some first images will be coming soon. No way I could justify the Fuji 56/1.2 ... way too pricey for me. )
Though I've used the Viltrox 56mm far less than I thought I would it's not because it's anything other than a superb lens. I think you'll find it's an excellent lens and probably very suitable for skating pictures, and will give you better isolation as long as focusing can keep up. Make sure you update the firmware - the AF on my X-T20 was very reluctant with the firmware that came loaded on the lens. And be careful - Viltrox have all the firmwares in a big list all on the same page. I think a lot of people install the wrong one, hence all the complaints I saw on the Viltrox FB page of lenses which stopped working after a firmware update.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I couldn't use my XE3 without the grip , I have a grip even on the GFX50R to make it more balanced (I don't have one on the X100T but I do have a half case fills the same function that way. the other great thing about most grips is they act as an arca swiss plate (I converted all my tripod heads to Arca swiss for consistency)
I bought into mirrorless for the smaller and lighter form of the cameras and I don't want to lose that but this little grip adds a better hold for when space and weight aren't critical, which is most of the time at the moment. It'll never have K-3 ergonomics as it would need K-3 size to get them.

* * * * * *

X-T20 and 35/1.4


Daisies
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr


Daisies II
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

03-26-2021, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #2777
Pentaxian
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,015
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Though I've used the Viltrox 56mm far less than I thought I would it's not because it's anything other than a superb lens. I think you'll find it's an excellent lens and probably very suitable for skating pictures, and will give you better isolation as long as focusing can keep up. Make sure you update the firmware - the AF on my X-T20 was very reluctant with the firmware that came loaded on the lens. And be careful - Viltrox have all the firmwares in a big list all on the same page. I think a lot of people install the wrong one, hence all the complaints I saw on the Viltrox FB page of lenses which stopped working after a firmware update.

...
Bonjour Jonathan,

Thanks a lot for your input.

I, too, think that the extra stop (over the XF 35/2) and extra length will be interesting for the skate shots. They are part of my "homework" for my Fine Arts (les Beaux Arts) adult photo course. My goal was to document the "life" of the main plaza in Poitiers. I had started with the skaters, but have not really captured other images that please me yet.

The 56 on the X-T3 will give more reach and allow for a bit more room between me and the subjects. We'll see ... As for the firmware, I have taken good note of your advice. Thanks again. I plan to first shoot with the original firmware and see that before installing the update which I have already downloaded to the laptop.

Salut, J
03-26-2021, 01:30 AM - 2 Likes   #2778
Pentaxian
Jean Poitiers's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lost in translation ...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 18,015
Hi,

Just a quick note to thank all for the kind comments on my most recent skate shots.

Much appreciated!

Cheers, J
03-26-2021, 04:02 AM - 2 Likes   #2779
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,289
X-T2 with TT Artisan 35mm f1.4



03-26-2021, 04:03 AM - 2 Likes   #2780
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,289
X-T2 with TT Artisan 35mm f1.4

I've seen some questions about this lens' sharpness - can it be as sharp as the 50mm f1.2?

03-26-2021, 06:58 AM - 3 Likes   #2781
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 7,911
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour Jonathan,

Thanks a lot for your input.

I, too, think that the extra stop (over the XF 35/2) and extra length will be interesting for the skate shots. They are part of my "homework" for my Fine Arts (les Beaux Arts) adult photo course. My goal was to document the "life" of the main plaza in Poitiers. I had started with the skaters, but have not really captured other images that please me yet.

The 56 on the X-T3 will give more reach and allow for a bit more room between me and the subjects. We'll see ... As for the firmware, I have taken good note of your advice. Thanks again. I plan to first shoot with the original firmware and see that before installing the update which I have already downloaded to the laptop.

Salut, J
Yours might have a more recent firmware as I bought mine two months ago now. Since then I think there have been three new firmware releases but I haven't bothered with the most recent one as my two Viltrox lenses both work fine as they are.

X-T20 and 35/1.4


Blossoms
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr


Blossoms II
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
03-27-2021, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #2782
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 620
maybe they are Indians... and and their paleface brothers (the girl in pink looks like a palefaced sister)..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-A1  Photo 
03-27-2021, 03:23 AM - 5 Likes   #2783
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,076
X-pro1, m 40/ 2.8

Not that great , just experimenting , want to take more night pics . Guess I need a tripod .
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-Pro1  Photo 
03-27-2021, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #2784
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 620
QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
Not that great , just experimenting , want to take more night pics . Guess I need a tripod .
yes, for night photos a tripod is advisable... yes, of course, a tripod will not be superfluous... I have a tripod, but I use it very rarely ... too lazy to carry around
03-27-2021, 04:25 AM   #2785
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,076
QuoteOriginally posted by Martin Stu Quote
maybe they are Indians... and and their paleface brothers (the girl in pink looks like a palefaced sister)..
Colorful.

These are the Russian Comanches ? Not the one in pink .
03-27-2021, 05:51 AM - 3 Likes   #2786
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,289
X-H1 with XF 60mm f2.4 R Macro





now I know what is meant by a slow-focusing lens - the XF 60 cannot keep up with the afternoon mayhem.....
03-27-2021, 05:52 AM - 4 Likes   #2787
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,289
X-H1 with XF 60mm f2.4 R Macro

but for more stable, slower subjects (and the reason I bought it), it's perfect

03-27-2021, 07:04 AM   #2788
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 620
QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
Colorful.

These are the Russian Comanches ? Not the one in pink .
Oh sure
03-27-2021, 07:41 AM - 2 Likes   #2789
Pentaxian
LeRolls's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: PSL, FL
Posts: 4,343


03-27-2021, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #2790
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Clarkey's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Brampton, ON, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,151
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote




now I know what is meant by a slow-focusing lens - the XF 60 cannot keep up with the afternoon mayhem.....
:-) Yep. Fortunately it has one of the largest manual focusing rings I have used.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
but for more stable, slower subjects (and the reason I bought it), it's perfect

+1

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote


I do like that first pose a lot. The mixed background does detract a bit.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
14mm, aaron, adapter, bit, camera, christmas, daughter, emphasis, flickr, fog, fuji, jonathan, lens, lenses, love, macdonald, model, nex, outline, people, post, series, settings, shots, silkypix, smith, stephen, system, williams, yesterday
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FA 77mm mount on Fuji X-T1 Eagle_Friends Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 06-03-2014 08:14 PM
Fuji X-T1 announced twilight_samurai Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 16 01-31-2014 03:12 AM
For Sale - Sold: Fuji X-20 Black plus extra battery EricBrown Sold Items 2 01-01-2014 05:42 PM
Fuji X-Pro / X-E System Pictures Thread top-quark Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 16 04-23-2013 02:28 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top