Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2015, 06:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Dynamic range and color depth doesn't seem to be as good as I'm used to with Pentax or Nikon files.
I ask as I have three (K-5IIs, Ricoh GR and Fuji X-E1) versions of the 16mp sensor. TBH, I am not in any hurry to go up to 24mp (I don't print big enough).

I certainly give you the Fuji DR compared to the sweet 16 sensor in the K-5IIs, I think the ISO 200 floor on the Fuji has something to do with that.

I am curious about the colour depth though, maybe it is the Jpg rendition and output (I've gone back to using the latest Silkpix version for RAW conversions), but it seems to work better for me (especially for skin tones and colours!) than the Pentax.

Last edited by Clarkey; 08-10-2015 at 04:55 AM. Reason: My England is bad.
08-09-2015, 07:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well my model no showed on me today so I didn't get to really test the camera out, but I did go for a little photo walk and you can check my flickr if your interested.

I love and hate this camera. The combo of the 56 ans the XT1 is brilliant and it's beyond razer sharp. It handles beautifully, and the evf is just amazing. But all that said I find the files uninspiring to work with. I think I'm going to return it and put the money back into the Pentax Ff fund for now... That being said my mind changes every five minutes
Yeah I have similar feelings with the Fuji !
I just might sell the X-E2, not quite decided yet) and keep the old K7 + K5 until I decide what will be next, or what should I do in order to get a "small" camera (easy to carry) but with Pentax rendering!

I'll have a look at your Flickr to see what that combo is like.

JP

Edit: I've just browsed your Flickr ... impressive ! But I can't seem to find the pics taken with the Fuji/56mm lens ??

Last edited by jpzk; 08-09-2015 at 07:56 PM.
08-09-2015, 08:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Yeah I have similar feelings with the Fuji !
I just might sell the X-E2, not quite decided yet) and keep the old K7 + K5 until I decide what will be next, or what should I do in order to get a "small" camera (easy to carry) but with Pentax rendering!

I'll have a look at your Flickr to see what that combo is like.

JP

Edit: I've just browsed your Flickr ... impressive ! But I can't seem to find the pics taken with the Fuji/56mm lens ??
Thanks

These are all from the 56

https://www.flickr.com/gp/lkphotographics/5Zf6jr
08-10-2015, 03:22 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dynamic range and color depth doesn't seem to be as good as I'm used to with Pentax or Nikon files.
From what I have seen, the reason to shoot Fuji is for the jpeg engine. If you do your own post processing, that advantage probably goes away.

08-10-2015, 04:58 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
From what I have seen, the reason to shoot Fuji is for the jpeg engine. If you do your own post processing, that advantage probably goes away.
Nailed it.
08-10-2015, 07:57 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'd agree with that. I was shooting in RAW+Jpg mode and I agree that the jpg's are a lot better than the RAW's for color and overall rendering. Even attaching the correct color profile to the RAW's does not do them justice. I think of the RAW files as ungraded flat video profile vs fully graded. I found myself adding back in saturation and vibrancy in the Fuji RAWS, while also pulling back the sharpness slider a tad because of how stupidly sharp the images are. At the end of the day, I just don't think I'll keep the camera for how it changes my routine in post and the fact that it doesn't add anything to my kit I don't already have.

For me the biggest advantage of the XT-1 is the handling and overall user experience. There are a few things I don't enjoy like the AF selection point method, but overall it's an incredible handing camera and the EVF is beyond amazing. For street shooting and photo walks I think it would be the way to go. However, I do a lot of strobe work and fashion/portrait photography and I just don't see it being a tool I will use regularly for either.
08-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I'd agree with that. I was shooting in RAW+Jpg mode and I agree that the jpg's are a lot better than the RAW's for color and overall rendering. Even attaching the correct color profile to the RAW's does not do them justice. I think of the RAW files as ungraded flat video profile vs fully graded. I found myself adding back in saturation and vibrancy in the Fuji RAWS, while also pulling back the sharpness slider a tad because of how stupidly sharp the images are. At the end of the day, I just don't think I'll keep the camera for how it changes my routine in post and the fact that it doesn't add anything to my kit I don't already have.

For me the biggest advantage of the XT-1 is the handling and overall user experience. There are a few things I don't enjoy like the AF selection point method, but overall it's an incredible handing camera and the EVF is beyond amazing. For street shooting and photo walks I think it would be the way to go. However, I do a lot of strobe work and fashion/portrait photography and I just don't see it being a tool I will use regularly for either.
Fair enough, and you have hit exactly why I do like Fuji raw, these are the first non-artefacted images I have worked on, together with the inherent sharpness.
what are you pping with?
08-10-2015, 08:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Fair enough, and you have hit exactly why I do like Fuji raw, these are the first non-artefacted images I have worked on, together with the inherent sharpness.
what are you pping with?
Light room and Photoshop.

Oh yea the images were really clean. Its a great camera. But it is just too redundant with my K3 kit and D800 kit.

08-11-2015, 02:40 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Light room and Photoshop.

Oh yea the images were really clean. Its a great camera. But it is just too redundant with my K3 kit and D800 kit.
Probably the biggest thing is that if you have profiles that work well for your D800 and K3, you probably have to rework them all to include an XT1 in the line up.
08-11-2015, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
These were taken on the X-M1 with the Pentax K 50mm f/1.4 at f/2. Wide open this lens isn't great and would probably need PP to remove fringing and improve sharpness, but stopped down one it's very good.

Cross-posted to the K thread.

Ripening
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Green tomatoes
08-11-2015, 04:09 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Very nice images. I love the color.
08-12-2015, 01:19 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Very nice images. I love the color.
The colour that I get from this camera and the Minolta lenses (although how much the lenses have to do with it I'm not sure) has been very good.

Here are a few images I took yesterday with the same Minolta 50mm. They're nothing special but the colours more than anything make me like them.

Cattle grid

Take a seat

The road

IMG_20150811_204228
08-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I would love to get nice images out of the camera. To have something small and I like fast lenses.
Hmm...I'm thinking about XE2 + 35 + 17 combo. I have Pentax K30 with some limiteds and Tamron 17-50. How would you compare the AF to K30/K5 ? Can it lock on the eyes ? How about battery life? Does it support wireless flash?
Thanks for the reply!
08-25-2015, 05:26 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Office Diptych, X100.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix X100  Photo 
09-25-2015, 03:24 AM - 1 Like   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here are a few shots with the M 35mm f/2.8, taken on the Fuji X-M1. The first two were wide open, the last one is stopped down to f/8. Cross-posted to the M series thread.

Autumn

Fence & graffiti

Sun up over Madrid