Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-11-2017, 01:01 AM - 5 Likes   #316
Veteran Member

First outing with X-E1 and selection of older lenses..

recently picked up a secondhand X-E1 to use with my collection of SMC-K/SMC-M primes, and also some m42 lenses that i have collected - main reason was to have something smaller than always taking my Pentax K3 out and about...

the first outing with the X-E1 was the Goodwood 'Revival' event this weekend - really pleased with how the Fuji performed, most of these were shot with either a SMC-K 28mm f3.5 or with a Cosinon 55mm f1.4.

C&C welcome as always...

09-11-2017, 01:27 AM - 1 Like   #317
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
For an OLD, introductory body...XE-1s ROCK!...i use the mine mainly with a selection of Takumars coupled with a speedbooster giving a 1.1x crop,Also dumb adapter on any K mount.

The XE-1 is probably the Apsc bang for buck body right now...U$ 170 ish is what i paid for mine a year ago.

Banarama, its lookin good!
09-11-2017, 01:57 AM   #318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
For an OLD, introductory body...XE-1s ROCK!...i use the mine mainly with a selection of Takumars coupled with a speedbooster giving a 1.1x crop,Also dumb adapter on any K mount.

The XE-1 is probably the Apsc bang for buck body right now...U$ 170 ish is what i paid for mine a year ago.

Banarama, its lookin good!
Thanks for the kind words...you are absolutely right about the X-E1, its a wonderful camera and with all those lovely old quality lenses out there to stick on and have a go...

will have to have a look at these speedbooster/lens turbo adaptors as well...
09-11-2017, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #319
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Top banana Quote
recently picked up a secondhand X-E1 to use with my collection of SMC-K/SMC-M primes, and also some m42 lenses that i have collected - main reason was to have something smaller than always taking my Pentax K3 out and about...

the first outing with the X-E1 was the Goodwood 'Revival' event this weekend - really pleased with how the Fuji performed, most of these were shot with either a SMC-K 28mm f3.5 or with a Cosinon 55mm f1.4.

C&C welcome as always...
Excellent photos. I see quite a lot of X-E1s for sale used and I have to admit I'm tempted despite it having the same sensor as my X-M1.

Here are a few from this weekend in Bilbao with the 35mm f/1.4.

Bilbao
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Bilbao

Bilbao

Including a picture of the film gear I was also shooting while there:

Minolta SR-T 100X with Rokkor 50mm f/1.7 and loaded with Fuji 400H

09-11-2017, 04:31 AM   #320
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Beautifully sharp pictures from Fuji's "cheap kit lens". I've got one myself and just can't believe how sharp and contrasty this hidden gem is.
Thank you! I agree this is a good lens, and can (should) definitely be used wide open. A quick note that I am yet to process an image from raw using anything other than the camera; Apart from the lack of sharpening options (Pentax definitely better here) and the lack of a second axis for my tilted shots, I truly haven't needed LR much.

Both the XC lenses produce great images in good light...add the next cheapest,27mm f2.8 and you got the start of a great system.i'm looking forward to end of month to see how they go on the new XE-3.
Agreed - I actually sold my 18-55 for a 16-50mm (II) and feel that it is actually more versatile because of the wide end (against that, the 55mm F4 tele end can be very useful). I went walking with the 50-230mm and the 23mm F2, and all was good. The 27mm would have also done the jobs asked, but I do like the 23mm.
09-13-2017, 11:02 PM   #321
Pentaxian

Original Poster
A few from the M 50mm f/1.4 (which I haven't used for a while) on the X-M1. Cross-posted to the M series thread.

Mini

Onions

Handlebars

Rose

Bench
09-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #322
Pentaxian

Exciting times come end of week, theres an Xpro1 in transit with the 18mm attached.Shutter count 1334.

The right price considering this combo was up round U$2300 when released in 2012.

Looking forward to trying the hybrid finder.

Theres been some fair(?)unfair criticism of the 18mm and its rumoured a version 2 is in the pipeline.Ive looked at lots of images shot with it and i like what i see.Anyway,from what i paid,i'll recoup or make a small profit if its not to my liking.

09-19-2017, 09:31 PM   #323
Pentaxian

http://www.fujirumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Techart-Pro-EF-to-Fujif...er-720x613.jpg

Not X system,but perhaps something that will come along.

This adapter enables AF/apeture ect for EF mount on the FUJI medium format body.i'm wondering why they would do it for a niche camera and not do it for X system?
09-19-2017, 09:57 PM   #324
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Exciting times come end of week, theres an Xpro1 in transit with the 18mm attached.Shutter count 1334.

The right price considering this combo was up round U$2300 when released in 2012.

Looking forward to trying the hybrid finder.

Theres been some fair(?)unfair criticism of the 18mm and its rumoured a version 2 is in the pipeline.Ive looked at lots of images shot with it and i like what i see.Anyway,from what i paid,i'll recoup or make a small profit if its not to my liking.
I've been contemplating the 18mm amongst the possibilities to get something wider than the 35mm but have read very mixed reviews. The consensus seems to be that it's not very sharp and has high distortion (though automatically corrected in jpegs) and that the 18-55mm is better, at a similar price. However, I've read a review which states that despite this criticism, the 18mm has a certain something to it's images.
09-19-2017, 10:42 PM   #325
Pentaxian

iIve also read that the zoom @18 produces better images...the size of the 18 is appealing over the zoom though.Already having the 16-50mm,i hope the 18 does well.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
it's not very sharp and has high distortion (though automatically corrected in jpegs
Seeing i only bother shooting jpegs with my fujis this is good.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
the 18mm has a certain something to it's images.
Some ive seen are excellent, and one comment i read was that the 18mm may be the weakest Fuji lens but the standard is very high and 18mm has its fans.I'd like the 16mm but dont like the price or size.
09-21-2017, 01:38 AM - 3 Likes   #326
Veteran Member

more from the X-E1..

really enjoying getting out with this X-E1 and various older manual lenses...mainly been sticking with the smc-k 28mm f3.5 and a cosinon 55mm f1.4 but have also tried out a few others from the collection.

here are a few taken over the last week or so...C&C welcome as always

09-21-2017, 06:28 PM   #327
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

iIve also read that the zoom @18 produces better images...the size of the 18 is appealing over the zoom though.Already having the 16-50mm,i hope the 18 does well.

Seeing i only bother shooting jpegs with my fujis this is good.

Some ive seen are excellent, and one comment i read was that the 18mm may be the weakest Fuji lens but the standard is very high and 18mm has its fans.I'd like the 16mm but dont like the price or size.
Yup, the 18 does well - the colour and contrast are fine, it's just not as sharp wide open. It also doesn't have the massive silent distortion correction going on in back view than the 18-55 does. Moot for me as I have the GR, so I have the 14 and the 23mm F2.

---------- Post added 09-21-2017 at 09:30 PM ----------

really enjoying getting out with this X-E1 and various older manual lenses...mainly been sticking with the smc-k 28mm f3.5 and a cosinon 55mm f1.4 but have also tried out a few others from the collection.

Very nice, making me reassess whether to move my X-E1 on. For MF shooting, I do enjoy using this camera. The EVF is a little slow compared to the X-T20, but honestly, no complaints.
09-21-2017, 09:52 PM   #328
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Very nice results.
09-28-2017, 10:12 PM   #329
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yesterday I picked up a lightly used 18mm f/2. My first impressions are that it's very nice and small, build quality the same as the 35/1.4. As far as IQ is concerned, it's very sharp in the centre (around 50% of the total image area) even wide open and does indeed get fuzzy at the edges and corners, but I don't think it's anything to worry about. Certainly anyone who says the IQ of this lens is bad is exaggerating.

A few images taken on the way home from the office.

First one is wide open.

DSCF2964

DSCF2976a

DSCF2969a

This last one is slightly cropped for composition.

DSCF2977a
10-01-2017, 10:08 PM   #330

QuoteOriginally posted by MyInkIsMyArt Quote
I've owned a few Fuji X series cameras. I just sold one of them yesterday, as a matter of fact. I have never used old Pentax glass on them, but I can say that I have a soft spot for the Fuji X series cameras. A joy to use, great color rendition, Fuji glass is actually pretty nice, etc. I would say I am surprised that more people don't use Fujifilm since they make great cameras, but then again, Pentax isn't nearly as popular as it should be, either. So, I am starting to believe it's just a trend for most people to avoid good cameras and stick to generic, interchangeable ones, like Nikon or Canon...
I picked up a Fuji X-E2 from KEH just this past week at a bargain price of under $300. I've got 4 old Asahi SMC Takumars and a Yashica Yashinon all M42 screwmounts. I've also got an old Nikon Nikkor 200mm F mount. I'll be adapting all of these to the Fuji. So far playing with a couple of the lenses I've gotten amazing results! Going through the menu system of the Fuji and setting it all up now. It's really an amazing camera and I expect to be posting some pictures soon.

---------- Post added 10-01-17 at 10:11 PM ----------

Great results! I've just recently picked up a used X-E2 and am in the process of setting it up. Excited to adapt the old M42 Screwmount lenses along with an older Nikon Nikkor I have. I especially like the one shot with the leaf!