Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2021, 01:17 AM   #3286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Jean: I like the image overall; the skater/jumper is nicely frozen in mid-air, image quality seems sharp (or at least sharp enough to appear sharp from here, if that makes sense), it's nicely contrasty without being harsh. What's odd to me is the motion blur, or what looks like motion blur, to the background. If the skater is not blurred then what's with the out of focus / motion blur to the building? Or something along those lines, maybe I'm not seeing the situation for what it is. Foreground great, background confusing.
Hi & thanks for your input ... I found the background a bit odd, too. When testing out the lens, it had difficulty in AF action. Not at all like my Viltrox 56/1.4. I asked to send it back, but the seller gave me a full refund ... so it's mine now. I will try it out and about a bit more later.

08-03-2021, 01:27 AM   #3287
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
Jean- Kind of difficult to judge the characteristics of a lens from a single image.

However I personally think the image itself is excellent, with a lot of fun character contained with in it. Whatever oddity might be happening with the building appears kind of like the background from a theater set. As previously mentioned the primary subject in the foreground is portrayed adequately sharp with quite nice separation from the background. Obviously timing was great, and frozen near the peak of some impressive action. A little less obvious but nearly as excellent is the inclusion of the mid-ground individual who simultaneously was captured in a posture that serves as a great transition between the foreground action and stationary background.
Hello. Many thanks for your post. I agree that one image is not a lot to go on ...

To continue my story with this lens, I bought it off of eBay France at a reasonable price, but the seller put the lens in a very small carton without any protection ... zero, just the pouch, no plastic bubble wrap, no original carton ... nothing. I almost refused to sign for its reception when I saw how it was boxed so poorly.

Still images are OK with this Viltrox 23, but the AF seems erratic at times. It would not track well at all in continuous AF mode. I fear that the shipment hurt the lens ... if it didn't already have some problems beforehand.

Anyway, as I wrote above, I got a full refund and kept the lens, so I cannot complain much. C'est la vie ...
08-03-2021, 01:32 AM   #3288
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
... Looks OK but somehow everything in the background is too busy and the whole image is a bit "glowy".
Merci, Jonathan ... I will test this Viltrox 23 out more as time permits. The background was my major concern, and I think that many may have noticed it ... Cheers, J
08-03-2021, 03:34 AM - 1 Like   #3289
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Hello. Many thanks for your post. I agree that one image is not a lot to go on ...

To continue my story with this lens, I bought it off of eBay France at a reasonable price, but the seller put the lens in a very small carton without any protection ... zero, just the pouch, no plastic bubble wrap, no original carton ... nothing. I almost refused to sign for its reception when I saw how it was boxed so poorly.

Still images are OK with this Viltrox 23, but the AF seems erratic at times. It would not track well at all in continuous AF mode. I fear that the shipment hurt the lens ... if it didn't already have some problems beforehand.

Anyway, as I wrote above, I got a full refund and kept the lens, so I cannot complain much. C'est la vie ...
Does it maybe just need to be updated to the newest firmware? Worth a try. My 56mm had very poor AF with the original firmware. My 23mm didn't but maybe yours has an older version and is having similar trouble.

08-03-2021, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #3290
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Does it maybe just need to be updated to the newest firmware? Worth a try. My 56mm had very poor AF with the original firmware. My 23mm didn't but maybe yours has an older version and is having similar trouble.
Thanks for that thought, Jonathan.

I had not worked that far forward in my thinking yet ... a very good suggest and will be pursued ASAP.

Cheers, J
08-03-2021, 11:55 PM - 1 Like   #3291
Veteran Member

Wanted to sell this camera but decided to keep it as the price was just to low. Awesome little camera.

Viltrox 33mm

Steak & Lamb.

I'm thinking on picking up XT3 or X Pro3, just haven't made up my mind yet.
08-04-2021, 03:51 AM - 1 Like   #3292
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-H1 with Viltrox 56mm f1.4 STM ED IF

was able to spend a bit more time with this new arrival

08-04-2021, 03:52 AM - 2 Likes   #3293
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-H1 with Viltrox 56mm f1.4 STM ED IF

and I really like it for monochrome: