[COLOR="Silver"]
08-09-2018, 11:44 AM - 2 Likes   #532
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

08-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #533
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi all,

Im seriously considering to buy a lightweight camera that I can carry with me at all time. I also need a camera that can shoot videos.
As you can read in my singature, Im using a K1 and K3 bodies and the everyday lens has been the 24-70mm, a significant large lens.

For street and all day photography my favorite set is the K1 with a Pentax 28mm MF lens, I love the focal length but it is still a lot to carry, doesn't fit in my pocket etc.

A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to try the Fuji X-e3 for about 30 mins, with kit lens and the 23mm /f2. I went crazy !
What this camera can deliver surprised me, I never had any small camera like that before.

I especially like a couple things, first of all it's super lightweight with the 23mm and pretty compact, I can see myself carrying this one everywhere.
Second is the jpeg quality, B&W blew me away
I want to cut down the PP time with this kind of shooting, I'd like to be able to use it on social media more than printing. I only used some Actros B&W I think it's called and this is exactly what I was looking for.
Then the ergonomy seems pretty good, but I only had very limited time using this camera, I really really love the joystick, I think all cameras shoot have that ! So quick to use in Focusing and menu...great idea !

for some reason I prefer the EVF of this camera than the Sony A7 III. I had no problem using either the EVF or the LCD screen.

I had a very limited experience but I am very impressed, I think I instantly had a great connection with this camera, and the 23mm is looking like a amazing lens.

As I see that there is some Pentax / Fuji shooters out there I want to ask you what would be your recommandation, anything to say about Fuji system ?
I am not doing a switch, I love my K1 but Im shooting more and more videos and I really want to have a small factor camera these days.
08-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #534
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
Hi all,

Im seriously considering to buy a lightweight camera that I can carry with me at all time. I also need a camera that can shoot videos.
As you can read in my singature, Im using a K1 and K3 bodies and the everyday lens has been the 24-70mm, a significant large lens.

For street and all day photography my favorite set is the K1 with a Pentax 28mm MF lens, I love the focal length but it is still a lot to carry, doesn't fit in my pocket etc.

A couple weeks ago I had the opportunity to try the Fuji X-e3 for about 30 mins, with kit lens and the 23mm /f2. I went crazy !
What this camera can deliver surprised me, I never had any small camera like that before.

I especially like a couple things, first of all it's super lightweight with the 23mm and pretty compact, I can see myself carrying this one everywhere.
I want to cut down the PP time with this kind of shooting, I'd like to be able to use it on social media more than printing. I only used some Actros B&W I think it's called and this is exactly what I was looking for.
Then the ergonomy seems pretty good, but I only had very limited time using this camera, I really really love the joystick, I think all cameras shoot have that ! So quick to use in Focusing and menu...great idea !

for some reason I prefer the EVF of this camera than the Sony A7 III. I had no problem using either the EVF or the LCD screen.

I had a very limited experience but I am very impressed, I think I instantly had a great connection with this camera, and the 23mm is looking like a amazing lens.

As I see that there is some Pentax / Fuji shooters out there I want to ask you what would be your recommandation, anything to say about Fuji system ?
I am not doing a switch, I love my K1 but Im shooting more and more videos and I really want to have a small factor camera these days.
I had Pentax K70 and wanted to have a small camera that I can take with me everywhere and everyday. I was choosing between XT20 and E3. Finally I chose the first one not the least because it has tilting screen (xe3 doesn't). But both cameras are just great. After almost a year of using it I am going to sell my K70 (unfortunately). Fuji is lighter, smarter, more advanced, its easier to use, there are more accessories on the market for X system (at least in my country) and the price is nearly the same. It covers all my needs. But K70 is not K1. I think Xe3 will be a great addition to a FF camera like K1.
08-10-2018, 10:48 AM   #535
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kuzma Quote
I had Pentax K70 and wanted to have a small camera that I can take with me everywhere and everyday. I was choosing between XT20 and E3. Finally I chose the first one not the least because it has tilting screen (xe3 doesn't). But both cameras are just great. After almost a year of using it I am going to sell my K70 (unfortunately). Fuji is lighter, smarter, more advanced, its easier to use, there are more accessories on the market for X system (at least in my country) and the price is nearly the same. It covers all my needs. But K70 is not K1. I think Xe3 will be a great addition to a FF camera like K1.

Thank you so much for your time replying. This is the kind of story I'm curious the hear. I will see if the can try the XT20 as well.
Any recommendations on lenses?!
08-10-2018, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #536
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thank you so much for your time replying. This is the kind of story I'm curious the hear. I will see if the can try the XT20 as well.
Enjoy.

I'll jump in and say that I have had a Fuji since 2013 (I previously had a sony NEX-5n for this purpose) and have made a few comments here. I also have the X-T20 now, and have the 23mm F2, which is a great lens that is only weak at close focusing distances.

Depending what focal length you want to use and your budget, I'd certainly recommend the 23mm F2 for street, the 27mm F2.8 for size (smaller and noisier to focus, but very sharp). The 50mm F2 is super. I also use the 14mm F2.8 for landscapes. The 18mm F2 gets bad press, but works well at F5.6. If you are a 50mm equiv shooter, the 35mm F2 is also excellent.

The X-E3 and 27mm would be an excellent and small combination, or you can even look at the XF10/X100 models if you want a dedicated small and wide camera for street.
08-10-2018, 11:02 PM - 2 Likes   #537
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi all,

I bought an X-M1 for exactly the same reason as you - as a small, light alternative to my K-3. I have to say it excels at that, and since I added the 35mm f/1.4 it's also my go-to setup for low light.

The X-E3 is much newer than my X-M1 so should perform considerably better, though it lacks the tilting screen which is extremely useful for shooting in a number of scenarios:

- social occasions, because you don't have a camera stuck to your face it's easier to take unobtrusive photos where people behave naturally.
- photos of children, because it makes it easier to take a photo from their level, often the key to good photos of kids
- street photography, again because it's not so obvious that you're taking a photo

So I would thoroughly recommend the X system, though you might want to consider the X-T20 instead of the X-E3 for the tilting screen. I can't over-estimate how useful it is in a small camera. I believe both cameras have the same sensor and Acros B&W mode.

If you like the 28mm field of view on FF then Fujifilm have an 18mm f/2 lens. I have had it for less time than the 35mm and I prefer the normal field of view of the 35mm, but the 18mm is an excellent lens. I was concerned by comments of it not being sharp but now that I own one I have no idea what those people are talking about. It's sharp in the centre even wide open and stopped down it may not be bitingly sharp to the edges but it's very, very good.
08-11-2018, 05:09 AM - 2 Likes   #538
Veteran Member

08-11-2018, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #539
Pentaxian

I started with Fuji 35 f2. A very nice one, most of my pictures I do using it. There is also an older version of this lens - 35 f1.4. It is a bit heavier, more expensive but has wider aperture and it is weather protected!
08-11-2018, 10:49 AM - 2 Likes   #540
Pentaxian

Fuji Xt20 and Zenit Helios 44