Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2020, 06:48 AM   #1126
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Looking in from the outside of the X-mount ecosystem, there's a lot of appeal to something like a used X-T20 or X-T2 and the 27 f2.8. What are those combinations like for night and street shooting? I think the high-ISO performance of those two cameras is nigh-on identical. I like the size of the 27mm pancake but wish it was a full stop (or more) faster.... I don't know that I really have the free change in my pocket for such a purchase, so this is just idle chatter right now. The other option would be to get some M-mount manual glass that's faster but then I'd be dealing with never having AF and would miss out on communication between lens and body. 7Artisan's 28mm f1.4 or Voigtlander's 28mm f2 both look like good candidates. I really like that sort of focal length for crop bodies for general walk-about. It's too bad that Sigma didn't port their 30mm f1.4 DC DN to X-mount but them's the breaks. Thoughts?
I would like to have the 27mm just for it's size but can't really justify it as I have the 23mm f/2 and 35mm f/1.4 and that money would be better put to use buying a longer prime like the 50mm f/2 or the Viltrox/Tokina 56mm f/1.4 that's due out by the end of the year.

While not quite the same focal length, the 23mm is small and light and a stop faster than the 27mm and I've found it good for what little street photography I do.

The X-T20 and X-T2 have exactly the same sensor, and I think, the same imaging pipeline, so image quality, including high-ISO, should be identical.

If you're after compact manual lenses to use exclusively on an X-mount camera, there are native options available, no need to go with M-mount. Functionality will be exactly the same of course, but you don't have to deal with adaptors. They're all Chinese of course, but many of them seem to be quite well thought-of, thought overall they seem to be very good value as they provide wide max aperture for the price, but don't really sharpen up to the edges until f/8ish. So they're really for use wide open for low light or narrow depth of field or closed down to f/8 if you need images that are sharp across the frame. Not much point using them at apertures in between as they'll be neither here nor there. Of course, YMMV and one person's "soft at the edges" is another's "perfectly fine".

04-10-2020, 08:41 AM   #1127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The lens doesn't need to be manual-focus, and AF would be nice, but I would still want it to be nice feeling to manual focus. Making use of Fuji's focus peaking to make manual focusing on a digital camera not so bad to do and get critical focus would be great and one of the top reasons I would consider a mirrorless camera.

The Fuji 35 probably makes the most sense; 23 just seems too wide. It's one of the reasons I never was interested in the DA 21. Is there a good quality 28mm or so f2 or faster x-mount native prime that is pretty sharp on center wide open? The 7Artisan's 28 m-mount lens seems to be all those things (I wish their 25mm f1.8 x-mount lens wasn't built so poorly) and it doesn't command a lot of money, all things considered, which is why I was interested in it.

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'll do anything like this in 2020 simply because there's other irons in the fire and I'm trying to be smart with splurge spending this year.
04-11-2020, 12:14 AM   #1128
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There's a Chinese, manual focus 28mm f/1.4 from the Kamlan brand which is native Fuji X but completely manual. However, I can't tell you if it's good or not because the only website I've found that sells it is Amazon Spain and they've done that annoying thing that Amazon does - mix the reviews for various lenses as if they were different sizes of the same shoe rather than completely different products. They do that with Pentax lenses too and it renders the overall rating of the product completely useless.
04-11-2020, 10:39 AM - 3 Likes   #1129
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just for fun ... a FB post image that I made recently. The pizza that I made with all organic ingredients ... Fuji X100s wide open. I don't do "food photography", but I was bored with confinement and a bit proud of my pizza ... (Post via Darkroom 3 that I am learning during this confinement)

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-12-2020 at 03:27 AM.
04-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #1130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
There's a Chinese, manual focus 28mm f/1.4 from the Kamlan brand which is native Fuji X but completely manual. However, I can't tell you if it's good or not because the only website I've found that sells it is Amazon Spain and they've done that annoying thing that Amazon does - mix the reviews for various lenses as if they were different sizes of the same shoe rather than completely different products. They do that with Pentax lenses too and it renders the overall rating of the product completely useless.
Jonathan: Reviews of that Kamlan 28 f1.4 seem pretty positive overall. It's certainly attractively priced at $200 USD. It would be nice to see a thorough review of both. That said, in the end, the XF 35 f1.4 is probably the best choice for what I really want.
04-12-2020, 01:59 PM - 6 Likes   #1131
Pentaxian

04-14-2020, 11:53 AM - 2 Likes   #1132
Pentaxian

X-post from the "Projector Lens" club thread ... an Aldis Star Anastigmat 100/2.8 projection lens wide open on my Fuji X-E2. This lens has its own helicoid housing and I have mounted it for now in a large Chinese K-mount extension tube with a PK to Fuji X adapter.

04-16-2020, 03:08 AM - 4 Likes   #1133
Pentaxian

Original Poster
X-T20 and 35/1.4 wide open

Bodega
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
04-17-2020, 07:34 AM   #1134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which is your favorite Fuji camera ( and lens - of any manufacturer ) ?
04-18-2020, 04:21 AM - 1 Like   #1135
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your portraiture is great. Including colors and backgrounds , bokeh , I notice it all ...
I was thinking of an adapter with the fa 77. And maybe others

Have you tried that, manual , with the x-t ‘s ?
04-18-2020, 05:12 AM   #1136
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
Your portraiture is great. Including colors and backgrounds , bokeh , I notice it all ...
I was thinking of an adapter with the fa 77. And maybe others

Have you tried that, manual , with the x-t ‘s ?
I have thought about using the FA 77 and the FA 85 on the X-T3. Might eventually get an adapter.

I appreciate the kind words.
04-18-2020, 08:06 AM - 4 Likes   #1137
Pentaxian

Orthodox Easter eggs

04-19-2020, 05:00 AM - 6 Likes   #1138
Pentaxian

04-19-2020, 07:31 AM - 6 Likes   #1139
Pentaxian

04-19-2020, 09:47 AM - 2 Likes   #1140
Pentaxian

Got bored this afternoon, so I climbed up into the attic to fetch a few photo things ... some 16mm cinema projection lenses.

Here, first efforts with an Angénieux F50 1:1.5 mounted in a cheap Chinese extension tube rig on the X-E1 ... not perfect yet, but functional.

B&W post in Darktable 3