Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8397 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Fuji X series club

Is there a thread here for people using Fuji X series cameras, especially with old lenses such as Pentax K or M42?

I ask because I might be getting one soon and thought there might be people here already using them.

07-18-2015, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #2
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Is there a thread here for people using Fuji X series cameras, especially with old lenses such as Pentax K or M42?

I ask because I might be getting one soon and thought there might be people here already using them.
I've owned a few Fuji X series cameras. I just sold one of them yesterday, as a matter of fact. I have never used old Pentax glass on them, but I can say that I have a soft spot for the Fuji X series cameras. A joy to use, great color rendition, Fuji glass is actually pretty nice, etc. I would say I am surprised that more people don't use Fujifilm since they make great cameras, but then again, Pentax isn't nearly as popular as it should be, either. So, I am starting to believe it's just a trend for most people to avoid good cameras and stick to generic, interchangeable ones, like Nikon or Canon...
07-18-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Fuji X-E2 as a carry around "second" camera (I also have a K7 and a K5) and the little Fuji really shines with its own "kit" lens, a 18-55 mm zoom. Actually this lens is surprisingly good.

I did acquire an adapter to mount some of my K-glass on the Fuji: FA 31, Zeiss T*Planar 85/1.4, but not M42.
The adapted lenses work real well, especially great when using the live view mode. The colour rendition is perfect and it focuses right on the button with the focus peaking.

The "other" forum Adapted Lens Forum - Fuji X Forum has several threads on that very subject .... worth a look.
And there is one substantial thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/166...-pictures.html on this forum. It started with two Fuji cameras and continues with some others as well.
Loads of great images and discussion(s).

Hope that helps.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 07-18-2015 at 08:17 PM. Reason: added info
07-19-2015, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks. I'm glad to hear about focus-peaking working well. In my experience the focus-peaking on the K-3 is not very accurate - I can focus more accurately using the viewfinder, even with the stock screen.

I have been eyeing an APS-C (or even m4/3) camera as a small carry-around cam for quite some time. The Sony NEX ones were the clear favourite for most of that time but Fuji have started their X series and they seem to be to mirrorless what Pentax are to DSLRs - designed for real photographers, not beginners or people who just buy what the ignorant salesperson recommends.

I've signed up to that Fuji forum and will have a browse, m,any thanks!

If it goes ahead it'll be an X-M1 I get. Quite basic but I think it will do everything I want of such a camera.

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 07-19-2015 at 12:45 AM.
07-19-2015, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. I'm glad to hear about focus-peaking working well. In my experience the focus-peaking on the K-3 is not very accurate - I can focus more accurately using the viewfinder, even with the stock screen.
To be honest, I thought this focus peaking was all "gadget" and would not really do what they (Fuji) were claiming but I was pleasantly surprised with it, especially when I had almost given up on my Zeiss 85/1.4 which exhibits "focus shift", something that gave me a real tough time with DSLR's. Now I can actually use it wide open with the Fuji and get the results I was expecting.

I have been eyeing an APS-C (or even m4/3) camera as a small carry-around cam for quite some time. The Sony NEX ones were the clear favourite for most of that time but Fuji have started their X series and they seem to be to mirrorless what Pentax are to DSLRs - designed for real photographers, not beginners or people who just buy what the ignorant salesperson recommends.

I searched all over the places to try and find a "small + carry around" good quality camera and also explored the Sony world ... I almost got an a6000 at the time. At the end of my search, Fuji was the winner and when I got it, I sure was happy.
Mind you, that little "devil" is no beginner's camera and the modes/options accesses are sometimes a PITA.
Pentax sure beats Fuji/Sony when it comes to user-friendliness.
I still might get a K3 to replace my ageing K5 though ... time will tell. I'll always be a Pentaxian first.

I've signed up to that Fuji forum and will have a browse, m,any thanks!

That forum is quite useful and friendly. No doubt it is the best for the Fuji brand.

If it goes ahead it'll be an X-M1 I get. Quite basic but I think it will do everything I want of such a camera.
Cheers, and I hope you'll enjoy your small camera!

JP
07-21-2015, 01:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I went ahead and bought the X-M1. The same guy was also selling a NEX 3N (which is what I originally saw and had my eye on) but the Fuji is generally nicer and has a hotshoe, which is important for me so I can use bounce flash. I also think the X system in general is much better than NEX - it's the only current mirrorless system that could tempt me away from Pentax. I'd love that 35mm f/1.4.......

Here's a short set of B&W shots I took yesterday afternoon with the new camera and a Minolta MC Rokkor 50mm f/1.7 lens. All at f/2.8, I think. I'm impressed with the lens, which I've never used on digital until now.

Edinburgh
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Edinburgh
08-02-2015, 05:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here are a couple from today with the X100, which I am still getting to know! I had everything set where I wanted and am using MF exclusively now, but forgot I had set for underexposure the last time i had it out. LR helped me out, but I had to pull them up a lot. These are from Dia Beacon, a wonderful art museum in New York State.
David

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
FinePix X100  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
FinePix X100  Photo 
08-03-2015, 01:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Here are a couple from today with the X100, which I am still getting to know! I had everything set where I wanted and am using MF exclusively now, but forgot I had set for underexposure the last time i had it out. LR helped me out, but I had to pull them up a lot. These are from Dia Beacon, a wonderful art museum in New York State.
David
I like that second one. The place looks like a good one for abstract photography or people watching.

I've been stuck with just my MD 50/1.7 to use on my X-M1 until now (been away from home) but now I'm back and have just tried my other Rokkors on the Fuji. My 24/2.8 is a bit soft wide open but very sharp by f/4. My 35/2.8 is incredibly sharp wide open and the 35-70/3.5 is very good indeed (better at 70mm than at 35). I'm looking forward to using them more and am especially happy about the initial results from the 35mm as it will be my standard lens on the Fuji.
08-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I just picked up an XT-1 for a second try yesterday. I bought it last year and kept it for a week before returning it.... I have yet to actually take images off the camera, but what I'm seeing on the back of the screen is pretty amazing. I love the color rendering and contrast of this camera. I'm going to use it as part of my fashion shoot on Sunday and see what I can come up with. Only lens I got for it is the 56mm f1.2 as well as a K mount adapter. But that 56 is mind blowing...

I do wish the sync speed was higher. 1/180 is very disapointing.
08-07-2015, 11:23 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went ahead and bought the X-M1. The same guy was also selling a NEX 3N (which is what I originally saw and had my eye on) but the Fuji is generally nicer and has a hotshoe, which is important for me so I can use bounce flash. I also think the X system in general is much better than NEX - it's the only current mirrorless system that could tempt me away from Pentax. I'd love that 35mm f/1.4.......

Here's a short set of B&W shots I took yesterday afternoon with the new camera and a Minolta MC Rokkor 50mm f/1.7 lens. All at f/2.8, I think. I'm impressed with the lens, which I've never used on digital until now.
That is quite nice !

Surprisingly sharp too. I think you will find "new life" with those older lenses.

JP

---------- Post added 08-07-15 at 02:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I just picked up an XT-1 for a second try yesterday. I bought it last year and kept it for a week before returning it.... I have yet to actually take images off the camera, but what I'm seeing on the back of the screen is pretty amazing. I love the color rendering and contrast of this camera. I'm going to use it as part of my fashion shoot on Sunday and see what I can come up with. Only lens I got for it is the 56mm f1.2 as well as a K mount adapter. But that 56 is mind blowing...

I do wish the sync speed was higher. 1/180 is very disapointing.
Lots of great reviews about the 56mm lens.
Did you find it difficult to nail focus at f1.2?
What K mount adapter did you get?
08-08-2015, 10:40 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's one with the Rokkor 35/2.8 wide open.

New York, Berlin, La Alhambra, San Francisco, Prague...

Most of my old lenses are K-mount or M42 which of course work on my DSLRs, but my K3 doesn't have a Katzeye (and now it never will) and the Fuji live-view seems to work better than the K3's, it's more accurate to focus. Due to those differences and the much smaller and lighter body of the Fuji, I'm really enjoying using the old lenses on it, much more than I have so far on the K3.
08-08-2015, 08:00 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like that second one. The place looks like a good one for abstract photography or people watching.

I've been stuck with just my MD 50/1.7 to use on my X-M1 until now (been away from home) but now I'm back and have just tried my other Rokkors on the Fuji. My 24/2.8 is a bit soft wide open but very sharp by f/4. My 35/2.8 is incredibly sharp wide open and the 35-70/3.5 is very good indeed (better at 70mm than at 35). I'm looking forward to using them more and am especially happy about the initial results from the 35mm as it will be my standard lens on the Fuji.
The Minolta glass is great. As mentioned elsewhere, I burned a roll of film today with my wife's cam (had to give it a test after replacing the battery. I really like the md 100mm f3.5. you get shots like at 5.6:

Waiting game
by Aaron, on Flickr
08-09-2015, 11:13 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That is quite nice !

Surprisingly sharp too. I think you will find "new life" with those older lenses.

JP

---------- Post added 08-07-15 at 02:24 PM ----------

Lots of great reviews about the 56mm lens.
Did you find it difficult to nail focus at f1.2?
What K mount adapter did you get?
Well my model no showed on me today so I didn't get to really test the camera out, but I did go for a little photo walk and you can check my flickr if your interested.

I love and hate this camera. The combo of the 56 ans the XT1 is brilliant and it's beyond razer sharp. It handles beautifully, and the evf is just amazing. But all that said I find the files uninspiring to work with. I think I'm going to return it and put the money back into the Pentax Ff fund for now... That being said my mind changes every five minutes
08-09-2015, 11:19 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Well my model no showed on me today so I didn't get to really test the camera out, but I did go for a little photo walk and you can check my flickr if your interested.

I love and hate this camera. The combo of the 56 ans the XT1 is brilliant and it's beyond razer sharp. It handles beautifully, and the evf is just amazing. But all that said I find the files uninspiring to work with. I think I'm going to return it and put the money back into the Pentax Ff fund for now... That being said my mind changes every five minutes
Genuine question - What do you find uninspiring about the files for working with?
08-09-2015, 11:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Dynamic range and color depth doesn't seem to be as good as I'm used to with Pentax or Nikon files.
« Nikon zed f | - »