Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2018, 07:10 PM - 1 Like   #541
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The restaurant and the sea
by Aaron, on Flickr

Cropped
by Aaron, on Flickr

08-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #542
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kuzma Quote
I started with Fuji 35 f2. A very nice one, most of my pictures I do using it. There is also an older version of this lens - 35 f1.4. It is a bit heavier, more expensive but has wider aperture and it is weather protected!
I wouldn't say the 35/1.4 is an older version of the 35/2, it's a different lens. Both are optically superb. The f/2 is smaller, focuses faster and is weather sealed, the f/1.4 has the extra stop and is the original standard prime released for the X series. When choosing between the two it's a decision on whether you really want the extra stop or prefer faster focusing and weather sealing. Price is also a factor of course.
08-12-2018, 02:54 AM   #543
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I wouldn't say the 35/1.4 is an older version of the 35/2, it's a different lens. Both are optically superb. The f/2 is smaller, focuses faster and is weather sealed, the f/1.4 has the extra stop and is the original standard prime released for the X series. When choosing between the two it's a decision on whether you really want the extra stop or prefer faster focusing and weather sealing. Price is also a factor of course.
Yes, you are more accurate, I got confused. F2 is weather sealed and f 1,4 is not.
08-12-2018, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #544
Pentaxian

08-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #545
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Planning a trip where my K-3 will be main camera, usually with the DA 16-85. I'll also bring along my DA 10-17 FE, the 40XS just because it's so small (and maybe the DA21 too), a fast fifty for low light, and then probably my DAL 55-300 for telephoto.

I want to have something small and lightweight to carry along. (Smaller than my K-30) In terms of features (at least APSC...) and what I can afford, I'm looking at the Fujifilm X-T100 with the kit 15-45 lens. With the appropriate adapter, I figure I can use my Pentax lenses too.
I'm looking for anyone have experiences w/ the X-T100 coming from a Pentax background, and pics using Pentax lenses. (With what adapter?)

Thanks!
08-12-2018, 10:06 PM   #546
Veteran Member

thanks guys for takin the time to answer, very helpful really.
I will try the XT-20 as it's true that a tilt screen is a must, the only thing I would really miss from the X-E3 is the Joystick which is fantastic.

I will let you know what Ill do and hopefully post pictures in this thread.
08-13-2018, 02:37 AM - 2 Likes   #547
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

08-13-2018, 02:49 AM - 2 Likes   #548
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mgvh Quote
Planning a trip where my K-3 will be main camera, usually with the DA 16-85. I'll also bring along my DA 10-17 FE, the 40XS just because it's so small (and maybe the DA21 too), a fast fifty for low light, and then probably my DAL 55-300 for telephoto.

I want to have something small and lightweight to carry along. (Smaller than my K-30) In terms of features (at least APSC...) and what I can afford, I'm looking at the Fujifilm X-T100 with the kit 15-45 lens. With the appropriate adapter, I figure I can use my Pentax lenses too.
I'm looking for anyone have experiences w/ the X-T100 coming from a Pentax background, and pics using Pentax lenses. (With what adapter?)

Thanks!
The X-T100 is very new so I'm not sure many people will have one yet.

Regarding adapters, get one with a mechanism to stop down the aperture on Pentax lenses which have no aperture ring if you want to be able to use any lens. If you're only going to use lenses with an aperture ring then the more basic (and probably cheaper and better built) one without the aperture stop-down mechanism will do just fine. I recommend the K&F Concept brand as they provide good quality at a reasonable price.

Adapters with the aperture mechanism look something like this one: Pentax K PK Mount DA Lens to Fujifilm Fuji X-Pro1 X-E1 XE2 FX Camera Adapter | eBay

Note the "Lock <----> Open" ring.
08-18-2018, 03:25 AM   #549
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lately i find my self using more and more my fuji equipment.

08-19-2018, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #550
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

---------- Post added 08-19-18 at 04:34 PM ----------

08-19-2018, 09:17 PM - 1 Like   #551
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fujifilm X-T100 first impressions from a Pentax shooter...
I recently acquired a used X-T100 with the 15-45 kit lens. I've been carrying around a K-3 as my main body (usually with the DA 16-85) and a K-30 (usually with the DA 10-17) as my ultrawide second body and backup. Depending on the situation, I might also have some of: DA 21, DA 40XS, a fast fifty, DAL 55-300. For general purpose hiking when I want to go light, I'd use the K-30 with the 18-135.

I got the X-T100 to replace the K-30. I wanted something smaller/lighter. I tend to shoot wide, so the 15-45 sounded like a good walkaround option, and I figured I can get the proper adapters to use my old M42 lens and my DA ones. My thought was to use the K-3 with the 16-85 as my primary body, and I have had great experiences with that combo. I would use the Fuji with the 15-45 for street shooting and also use it as a second body with the DA 10-17 for ultrawide.

Things that I dislike or am getting used to:
  • It's taking a bit to get used to the button locations. Finding the wheel on the back is especially hard without looking.
  • I simply had to turn off autofocus on the touch screen (drove me crazy accidentally touching it and moving focus point)
  • I often lock the back array of buttons around the menu button, since it is too easy to bump them.
  • The camera is a bit pokey. I mainly do stills so it's not really an issue for me. (I haven't tried the oft-criticized video.)
  • It is not weather-sealed.
  • I do wish it had in-body image stabilization so that I could use my old manual lenses with more confidence.
  • The Fuji RAF files are huge. (~40MB)
Things I'm liking:
  • It is indeed much smaller and lighter.
  • This is my first camera with a tilt/turn LCD, and that's very nice.
  • The electronic viewfinder does the job for me. I like that the electronic level is a line across the screen. (The little bars on the bottom on my K-3 and K-30 mean I have to look away from my focal point, and that's been awkward at times.)
  • I'm shooting in Aperture mode and set the multipurpose dial to change exposure and the ISO button to set up some regularly used auto settings. It's also been best to just use AF-S.
  • I don't mind the PowerZoom of the kit lens. When I'm shooting with AF, the front ring works as a zoom ring. (It's a manual focus ring in MF mode.)
  • I shoot RAW with my Pentax and RAF+JPG on the Fuji. Fuji does a really nice job with JPG output. I won't feel much loss at times if I'm doing less serious work to just shoot JPG.
  • The Fuji RAF files have the Lightroom lens profile included in the file. One less step of correction.
And what about the images?
My K-3 is noticeably better than my K-30, and I was hoping that the X-T100 would be more like the K-3 than the K-30. It is. The X-T100 is a clear step up from the K-30.

In comparing the K-3 with the 16-85 and the X-T100 with the 15-45 over the same range..
  • The K-3 has 3.5 stops of stabilization. The 15-45 has 3 stops, but I'm getting less blurry results shooting handheld in lowlight with the Fuji at same focal lengths.
  • Fuji tends to blow out highlights more (and I'm using -.3EV), but I need to play with it more.
  • Do note that the 16-85 f3.5-5.6 is faster at 45mm at f4.5 than the 15-45 f3.5-5.6.
  • At the wide end (15/16mm), it really pains me to say that I get better results with the Fuji. They are similar in the center but that little Fuji kit lens does better at the edges under a variety of f-stops but mainly f8. The K-3/16-85 does a slightly better job at the 45mm end. (This is after doing typical and similar postprocessing work in Lightroom.)
  • It's clear that there are different sensors and how they are working even though they are both 24MP APS-C. The Fuji does seem to pick up finer details. (I'll have to do more testing w/ Pentax primes to see if it's a lens issue and not a sensor issue. I'm just figuring for now that the DA 16-85 should be able to stand up to the 15-45.)
  • The most noticeable difference is colorcast, especially with greens. Pentax tends to blue, Fuji to yellow. I see benefits/drawbacks of both depending on situation, and such things can be adjusted with the RAW files in LR.
  • I'm trying to describe the different types of noise in images. The K-3 has a much larger dynamic range, but at similar ISOs (e.g., 1600), there may be more noise in the Fuji images, but it's finer and mainly luminance noise that can be fixed. I.e., except in the lowest light situations, I think I'll be fine with the Fuji.
BOTTOM LINE: I'm really impressed with the X-T100 and the 15-45 lens. It's exceeded my hopes. I can't afford to buy more Fuji lenses, but now I'm wondering whether I should use the Fuji with 15-45 as my main body/lens and use the K-3 for the DA 10-17, DAL 55-300, and my other special use lenses.
08-20-2018, 12:50 AM   #552
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
BOTTOM LINE: I'm really impressed with the X-T100 and the 15-45 lens. It's exceeded my hopes. I can't afford to buy more Fuji lenses, but now I'm wondering whether I should use the Fuji with 15-45 as my main body/lens
I use the 15-45 with the XE-3,all Fujifilm lenses are VERY good and some are great.You can afford the 50-230mm,its great in good light.So that combo will give you in FF FoV 22.5 to 345mm...and that range will cater for plenty of situations.Then as more $s come along cherrypick the primes.
08-20-2018, 03:42 AM   #553
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Fujifilm X-T100 first impressions from a Pentax shooter...
I recently acquired a used X-T100 with the 15-45 kit lens. I've been carrying around a K-3 as my main body (usually with the DA 16-85) and a K-30 (usually with the DA 10-17) as my ultrawide second body and backup. Depending on the situation, I might also have some of: DA 21, DA 40XS, a fast fifty, DAL 55-300. For general purpose hiking when I want to go light, I'd use the K-30 with the 18-135.

I got the X-T100 to replace the K-30. I wanted something smaller/lighter. I tend to shoot wide, so the 15-45 sounded like a good walkaround option, and I figured I can get the proper adapters to use my old M42 lens and my DA ones. My thought was to use the K-3 with the 16-85 as my primary body, and I have had great experiences with that combo. I would use the Fuji with the 15-45 for street shooting and also use it as a second body with the DA 10-17 for ultrawide.

Things that I dislike or am getting used to:
  • It's taking a bit to get used to the button locations. Finding the wheel on the back is especially hard without looking.
  • I simply had to turn off autofocus on the touch screen (drove me crazy accidentally touching it and moving focus point)
  • I often lock the back array of buttons around the menu button, since it is too easy to bump them.
  • The camera is a bit pokey. I mainly do stills so it's not really an issue for me. (I haven't tried the oft-criticized video.)
  • It is not weather-sealed.
  • I do wish it had in-body image stabilization so that I could use my old manual lenses with more confidence.
  • The Fuji RAF files are huge. (~40MB)
Things I'm liking:
  • It is indeed much smaller and lighter.
  • This is my first camera with a tilt/turn LCD, and that's very nice.
  • The electronic viewfinder does the job for me. I like that the electronic level is a line across the screen. (The little bars on the bottom on my K-3 and K-30 mean I have to look away from my focal point, and that's been awkward at times.)
  • I'm shooting in Aperture mode and set the multipurpose dial to change exposure and the ISO button to set up some regularly used auto settings. It's also been best to just use AF-S.
  • I don't mind the PowerZoom of the kit lens. When I'm shooting with AF, the front ring works as a zoom ring. (It's a manual focus ring in MF mode.)
  • I shoot RAW with my Pentax and RAF+JPG on the Fuji. Fuji does a really nice job with JPG output. I won't feel much loss at times if I'm doing less serious work to just shoot JPG.
  • The Fuji RAF files have the Lightroom lens profile included in the file. One less step of correction.
And what about the images?
My K-3 is noticeably better than my K-30, and I was hoping that the X-T100 would be more like the K-3 than the K-30. It is. The X-T100 is a clear step up from the K-30.

In comparing the K-3 with the 16-85 and the X-T100 with the 15-45 over the same range..
  • The K-3 has 3.5 stops of stabilization. The 15-45 has 3 stops, but I'm getting less blurry results shooting handheld in lowlight with the Fuji at same focal lengths.
  • Fuji tends to blow out highlights more (and I'm using -.3EV), but I need to play with it more.
  • Do note that the 16-85 f3.5-5.6 is faster at 45mm at f4.5 than the 15-45 f3.5-5.6.
  • At the wide end (15/16mm), it really pains me to say that I get better results with the Fuji. They are similar in the center but that little Fuji kit lens does better at the edges under a variety of f-stops but mainly f8. The K-3/16-85 does a slightly better job at the 45mm end. (This is after doing typical and similar postprocessing work in Lightroom.)
  • It's clear that there are different sensors and how they are working even though they are both 24MP APS-C. The Fuji does seem to pick up finer details. (I'll have to do more testing w/ Pentax primes to see if it's a lens issue and not a sensor issue. I'm just figuring for now that the DA 16-85 should be able to stand up to the 15-45.)
  • The most noticeable difference is colorcast, especially with greens. Pentax tends to blue, Fuji to yellow. I see benefits/drawbacks of both depending on situation, and such things can be adjusted with the RAW files in LR.
  • I'm trying to describe the different types of noise in images. The K-3 has a much larger dynamic range, but at similar ISOs (e.g., 1600), there may be more noise in the Fuji images, but it's finer and mainly luminance noise that can be fixed. I.e., except in the lowest light situations, I think I'll be fine with the Fuji.
BOTTOM LINE: I'm really impressed with the X-T100 and the 15-45 lens. It's exceeded my hopes. I can't afford to buy more Fuji lenses, but now I'm wondering whether I should use the Fuji with 15-45 as my main body/lens and use the K-3 for the DA 10-17, DAL 55-300, and my other special use lenses.
Thanks for this detailed review. I feel less and less that the K-3 is my "main" camera and the X-M1 is a "secondary" one and more that each has it's uses, which are also affected by the lenses I have available to use on them. The small size and low weight certainly makes the Fuji best for carrying light and the superb 35/1.4 makes it best for low light, but a conventional DSLR, especially one as good as the K-3, certainly has a lot of advantages too.
08-20-2018, 07:40 AM   #554
Pentaxian

[*]I simply had to turn off autofocus on the touch screen (drove me crazy accidentally touching it and moving focus point)
I also didn't find it useful. When you use it - you even can't adjust ISO. I don;t know why but such a problem exists. But it is absolutely ok since you can turn it off if you don't like it. It is optional.
08-20-2018, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #555
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
I use the 15-45 with the XE-3,all Fujifilm lenses are VERY good and some are great.You can afford the 50-230mm,its great in good light.So that combo will give you in FF FoV 22.5 to 345mm...and that range will cater for plenty of situations.Then as more $s come along cherrypick the primes.
Getting the X-T100 depended on me now selling the K-30! I will indeed put the Fuji 50-230 on my list, but I'm still firmly in Pentax land. In the interim, what I'll probably do is get the $20 Pentax DA > Fuji X adapter. That will let me use my DA lenses, and I do have the DAL 55-300.