Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8381 Likes Search this Thread
02-13-2019, 10:51 PM - 2 Likes   #751
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well I finally went for the X-T20 as I had been tempted by the far newer model over the X-T10 or X-E2 that I had originally set out to get purely to obtain a viewfinder. I bought a very lightly used one, which looks brand new, and that still has a year on it's guarantee. I still need to play around with the settings and find out how to do stuff and how to customise the camera to my liking, but so far I think it's a great little camera. My X lenses focus a lot faster than they do on the X-M1, and that's without updating the firmware on them.

Hopefully I'll find some time on my lunch break to play around with it a little more, until then, here are a few test photos using the 23mm f/2.

Las Ventas
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Las Ventas

Las Ventas

02-15-2019, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #752
Pentaxian

The new X-T30 is looking like a nice piece of kit. Might pick one up as a second Fujifilm body. Possibly that new 16mm 2.8 as well. Will probably snag the 90mm first though.
02-15-2019, 02:50 AM   #753
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm thinking my XE-3 can go and the charcoal grey 30 can join the party.
02-15-2019, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #754
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Well I finally went for the X-T20 as I had been tempted by the far newer model over the X-T10 or X-E2 that I had originally set out to get purely to obtain a viewfinder. I bought a very lightly used one, which looks brand new, and that still has a year on it's guarantee. I still need to play around with the settings and find out how to do stuff and how to customise the camera to my liking, but so far I think it's a great little camera. My X lenses focus a lot faster than they do on the X-M1, and that's without updating the firmware on them.

Hopefully I'll find some time on my lunch break to play around with it a little more, until then, here are a few test photos using the 23mm f/2.
Congrats. I am sure you'll enjoy it greatly. You also get the Acros sim, which should suit your style of shooting.
Do update the lens firmware, I have noticed the odd missed focus with this body.

02-16-2019, 02:06 AM - 2 Likes   #755
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Congrats. I am sure you'll enjoy it greatly. You also get the Acros sim, which should suit your style of shooting.
Do update the lens firmware, I have noticed the odd missed focus with this body.
Yes, I was hungering after the Acros simulation as I've seen good results from it and I really like genuine Acros film (still have a small stock in the freezer). The B&W rendering from the X-M1 is extremely good though and renders tones far better than the more basic B&W modes on most cameras.

I have been checking lens and camera firmwares and found that my 18mm was way behind and the X-M1 was a little behind. Everything else is OK.

I'm still getting used to the X-T20 and am finding it has some annoying habits, such as the focus area being changed unintentionally due to the touch screen, the eye-detector for the viewfinder is overly sensitive, the front dial doesn't seem to be useful for anything (at least in aperture priority) and can't be set to any custom setting. The 24MP sensor also seems to handle high ISOs worse than the older 16MP one, which I was afraid of.

On the plus side, AF is much improved and the wife hasn't noticed yet that I have a new camera. Maybe when she sees me use the viewfinder it'll click but for now I'm in the clear...

A couple of fruity shots from yesterday with the 35/1.4, unintentionally shot at ISO 800:

Cherry tomatoes

Cherries
02-16-2019, 07:33 AM   #756
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

---------- Post added 02-16-19 at 04:33 PM ----------

02-16-2019, 11:28 AM - 5 Likes   #757

XF 35 2, Fuji X-T20, Moscow

Last edited by Coiseam; 06-08-2019 at 11:42 PM.
02-18-2019, 08:46 AM - 3 Likes   #758
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here are a few SOOC shots testing out my new cheapie extension tubes. None of them are very sharp as they were all hand-held and only slightly stopped down (or wide open, in the case of the first one).

Blurred macro

Cactus flower

Cactus flower
02-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #759
Pentaxian

Original Poster
X-T20 and 35mm f/1.4

Mara
02-19-2019, 06:42 AM   #760
Pentaxian

02-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #761
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are a few SOOC shots testing out my new cheapie extension tubes. None of them are very sharp as they were all hand-held and only slightly stopped down (or wide open, in the case of the first one).

Blurred macro

Cactus flower

Cactus flower

which tubes are they the originals are a silly price now
02-19-2019, 11:35 PM   #762
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
which tubes are they the originals are a silly price now
The brand is JJC, here's the link on Amazon Spain: JJC 11mm/16mm Sets Metal Tubo de Extensión TTL Enfoque Automático AF para Lentes Fujifilm XF y Cámaras de la Serie X: Amazon.es: Electrónica

They're a little loose, especially when stacked, but I don't think enough to impact image quality. I'll need to try them outdoors with better light and a tripod to really say if they're any good or not, but they're much cheaper than the originals.
02-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #763
Veteran Member

The brand is JJC, here's the link on Amazon Spain: JJC 11mm/16mm Sets Metal Tubo de Extensión TTL Enfoque Automático AF para Lentes Fujifilm XF y Cámaras de la Serie X: Amazon.es: Electrónica

They're a little loose, especially when stacked, but I don't think enough to impact image quality. I'll need to try them outdoors with better light and a tripod to really say if they're any good or not, but they're much cheaper than the originals.
thanks saw them on amazon canada for a good price . i will try them out . they can always go back

02-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #764
Pentaxian

02-20-2019, 10:53 AM   #765
Veteran Member

@LeRolls Have you tried using any of your pentax glass on either your fuji or sony?