Pentaxian

Original Poster
X-T20 and 18-55mm

Light
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr
10-10-2019, 04:35 PM   #993
Forum Member

How is the Fuji X-Trans sensor?

Read so many conflicting reports, both and against, not sure what to make of it. Pixel peeping, to my eye, the Bayer seems to retain more detail but could be just the images I was looking at. Most images in this thread however look fantastic.

Been kicking around the idea of picking up a modern mirrorless and not sure what to make of the Fuji system.

Last edited by Senko; 10-10-2019 at 04:41 PM.
10-10-2019, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #994
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Senko Quote

Read so many conflicting reports, both and against, not sure what to make of it. Pixel peeping, to my eye, the Bayer seems to retain more detail but could be just the images I was looking at. Most images in this thread however look fantastic.

Been kicking around the idea of picking up a modern mirrorless and not sure what to make of the Fuji system.
I like the output from the Fuji sensors. It's unique and almost reminds me of film.

10-11-2019, 02:51 AM - 2 Likes   #995
Pentaxian

Original Poster

I have experience of the older 16MP and the newer 24MP X-trans sensors and have to say I've not seen any of the problems that I've read about - mushy results especially of greens. Both sensors are superb, as is the Fujifilm jpeg engine.

The system as a whole is the most complete APS-C line-up in the mirrorless world, as Fuji have decided not to use FF (I don't think the mount is large enough for it) so they haven't had to compromise like Sony. I would thoroughly recommend it.

I also agree with LeRolls - Fujifilm produces the results most like film in rendering, which can't be a bad thing.
10-12-2019, 07:38 PM - 4 Likes   #996
Pentaxian

10-12-2019, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #997
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Early on, Adobe and Fuji couldn't get Adobe RAW Converter to optimally develop Fuji files, and that's where much of the to-do about X-Trans problems came from. Things have improved more recently, and in my own experience with Capture One Fuji files did not lack detail compared with Pentax.

Basically, anyone who brings up so-called problems with Fuji files are just being trolls.

10-13-2019, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #998
Veteran Member

Fuji has the best APS-C system on the market it my opinion. There does seem to be a slight softness to many of the images that portrait shooters like. People say the softness is more organic or film-like. If you aren't into post processing and just want to enjoy photography, then the Fuji film simulations are a great option. The big questions are - what will you be shooting and will you be printing or just sharing pictures on social media or flickr? For social media or Flickr just about any camera will be fine. I would look at Olympus m4/3 as a starting point but Fuji has some crazy good deals going on and if you want an XH-1 you can get into the Fuji ecosystem for less money than m4/3. If this is something you are really serious about, rent a couple of bodies and lenses from different companies. Take some pictures and make some prints. If you are looking for a camera that is going to perform well in natural light then FF has the performance advantage. Fuji AF is still not as quick or dependable as some of the FF options and I think Olympus has better AF. If you are going to be shaping and controlling light and 8x10 prints are as big as you need then it really doesn't matter if you buy FF, APS-C, or m4/3. The modern sensors in all of them are more than adequate. I would say the advantage of Fuji is the user experience and friends who shoot with Fuji always come back to that.

I shoot Sony and I hear some people complain that some images are too sharp or too digital and that is often a matter of processing and once you print that digital file to an analogue print that digital look is going to go away.

10-13-2019, 04:28 PM - 4 Likes   #999
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Outer Banks of North Carolina took a pounding last week from sub-tropical storm Melissa. Fujifilm X-T20, Vivitar 19mm f/3.8.

Last edited by Neuse River Sailor; 10-14-2019 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Correct storm name
10-13-2019, 09:58 PM   #1000
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I have experience of the older 16MP and the newer 24MP X-trans sensors and have to say I've not seen any of the problems that I've read about - mushy results especially of greens. Both sensors are superb, as is the Fujifilm jpeg engine.

The system as a whole is the most complete APS-C line-up in the mirrorless world, as Fuji have decided not to use FF (I don't think the mount is large enough for it) so they haven't had to compromise like Sony. I would thoroughly recommend it.

I also agree with LeRolls - Fujifilm produces the results most like film in rendering, which can't be a bad thing.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Early on, Adobe and Fuji couldn't get Adobe RAW Converter to optimally develop Fuji files, and that's where much of the to-do about X-Trans problems came from. Things have improved more recently, and in my own experience with Capture One Fuji files did not lack detail compared with Pentax.

Basically, anyone who brings up so-called problems with Fuji files are just being trolls.

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Fuji has the best APS-C system on the market it my opinion. There does seem to be a slight softness to many of the images that portrait shooters like. People say the softness is more organic or film-like. If you aren't into post processing and just want to enjoy photography, then the Fuji film simulations are a great option. The big questions are - what will you be shooting and will you be printing or just sharing pictures on social media or flickr? For social media or Flickr just about any camera will be fine. I would look at Olympus m4/3 as a starting point but Fuji has some crazy good deals going on and if you want an XH-1 you can get into the Fuji ecosystem for less money than m4/3. If this is something you are really serious about, rent a couple of bodies and lenses from different companies. Take some pictures and make some prints. If you are looking for a camera that is going to perform well in natural light then FF has the performance advantage. Fuji AF is still not as quick or dependable as some of the FF options and I think Olympus has better AF. If you are going to be shaping and controlling light and 8x10 prints are as big as you need then it really doesn't matter if you buy FF, APS-C, or m4/3. The modern sensors in all of them are more than adequate. I would say the advantage of Fuji is the user experience and friends who shoot with Fuji always come back to that.

I shoot Sony and I hear some people complain that some images are too sharp or too digital and that is often a matter of processing and once you print that digital file to an analogue print that digital look is going to go away.

Thanks for the detailed responses. Agreed, the Fuji output looks nice, almost film like it some aspects. It's got a certain 'je ne sais quoi' to my eye, which is what drew me to Fuji for smaller backup camera body. Moreover, I don't have time to spend hours in post converting RAW files for everyday family photos, so usable OOC jpeg's is appealing. How it the headroom in Fuji's jpegs compared to Pentax for editing?

The X-H1 looks awesome. The only Fuji camera with in-body stabilization and has great build/features. I don't think could buy a camera without IBS in 2019, so not really interested in the other bodies. However, the X-H1 is BIG for a mirrorless. In fact, almost the same size as the Pentax KP, which is spec'd pretty much the same and cheaper......

Too many choices in the market these days. Good time to be an enthusiast I suppose.
10-17-2019, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #1001
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

X100T

10-18-2019, 12:13 AM   #1002
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How good is Fuji weather sealing?

Pentax have been doing it a long time,Olympus show some stringent tests too.

Fuji lens lost in wilderness for 4 months - found, and still works! - By Steve Boykin - 35mmc
10-21-2019, 05:06 AM   #1003
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Some autumn foliage colours

Berries

Autumn
10-21-2019, 06:39 AM - 2 Likes   #1004
Site Supporter
Site Supporter