Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2021, 02:09 AM   #2506
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
As I understand it a X-Trans sensor is just a Sony sensor with Fuji's X-Trans 6x6 filter array instead of the Bayer 2x2 filter array.
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
if I understand the process properly, that is all that makes an X-sensor different: the filter array....
Yes, they just take a standard sensor and use the X-trans colour filter instead of the standard Bayer one. I'm pretty certain the sensors in my K-3 and X-T20 are the same bar the colour filter. TBH I'm not convinced that x-trans improves image quality, after all, I haven't seen any IQ complaints regarding the X-T200 or the MF cameras. Some people seem to think that it has a negative effect though I suspect that they just don't like the limitations on software imposed by the difference. I've nothing against x-trans as I've been nothing but impressed by the IQ from my Fujifilm cameras, though I strongly suspect the wonderful jpeg engine is responsible for that far more than x-trans is.

Here are a couple from the X-T20 and Viltrox 23/1.4. I'm running out, or some might say I ran out some time ago, of photographic opportunities offered in the children's playgrounds close to home, but that's about as far as I go with a camera at the moment.

Taped
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Bridge
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

02-18-2021, 04:56 AM   #2507
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Yes, they just take a standard sensor and use the X-trans colour filter instead of the standard Bayer one. I'm pretty certain the sensors in my K-3 and X-T20 are the same bar the colour filter. TBH I'm not convinced that x-trans improves image quality, after all, I haven't seen any IQ complaints regarding the X-T200 or the MF cameras. Some people seem to think that it has a negative effect though I suspect that they just don't like the limitations on software imposed by the difference. I've nothing against x-trans as I've been nothing but impressed by the IQ from my Fujifilm cameras, though I strongly suspect the wonderful jpeg engine is responsible for that far more than x-trans is.

the in-camera options (as far as the jpeg engine goes) definitely helps set the Fuji bodies apart - the jpeg engine in my K-bodies is good, but not nearly as flexible as the X-bodies.....
02-18-2021, 05:04 AM   #2508
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Here are a couple from the X-T20 and Viltrox 23/1.4.
That looks like a wicked combo from the photos you've showcased with it.
Apparently Viltrox are cobbling together a 24mm f/1.8 for Sony which I'm quite curious about...
02-18-2021, 05:18 AM - 2 Likes   #2509
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-H1 with EBC Fujinon Macro 55mm f3.5

02-18-2021, 05:19 AM - 3 Likes   #2510
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-T2 with TT Artisan 35mm f1.4

02-18-2021, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #2511
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
As I understand it a X-Trans sensor is just a Sony sensor with Fuji's X-Trans 6x6 filter array instead of the Bayer 2x2 filter array.
this is correct and the reason the medium format isn't using that array rather than the Bayer it does use is down to processing power (and I am sure economies of scale )

Sony makes sensors for many companies but does it to the companies specifications and tweaks. early on in a new level of sensor tech, they will hold it for their own release but not for a long time just long enough to assert their dominance in the tech . Panasonic is also pretty big in the business and make Leica's sensors (via STMicroelectronics a division they are the majority shareholder in) Fujitsu and Toshiba are also big in semiconductor tech.
02-18-2021, 07:13 AM - 3 Likes   #2512
Veteran Member

nikkor 45/ 2.8 GN, x-t1

the thing about manual focusing is ... i miss a lot of shots not in focus,, this one i sharpened, but i hate doing that.
is auto focus any better, really though. i get frustrated with auto focus more than with manual

---------- Post added 02-18-21 at 09:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
this is correct and the reason the medium format isn't using that array rather than the Bayer it does use is down to processing power (and I am sure economies of scale )

Sony makes sensors for many companies but does it to the companies specifications and tweaks. early on in a new level of sensor tech, they will hold it for their own release but not for a long time just long enough to assert their dominance in the tech . Panasonic is also pretty big in the business and make Leica's sensors (via STMicroelectronics a division they are the majority shareholder in) Fujitsu and Toshiba are also big in semiconductor tech.
i doubt i will ever 'get' all the tech .... i wonder when something else will supersede these sensors. a whole new way of recording light ?

02-18-2021, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #2513
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote

nikkor 45/ 2.8 GN, x-t1

the thing about manual focusing is ... i miss a lot of shots not in focus,, this one i sharpened, but i hate doing that.
is auto focus any better, really though. i get frustrated with auto focus more than with manual

---------- Post added 02-18-21 at 09:18 AM ----------

i doubt i will ever 'get' all the tech .... i wonder when something else will supersede these sensors. a whole new way of recording light ?
Autofocus depends on so many variables. I find my fuji cams much better than the Pentax cams I had...but they are all newer generations. I haven't tried the XT1 recently, though on all my cams i tend to use single spot focus and move it around to what i want only occasionally do I use the other options
the XF23 f2 and XF50 f2 both are snappy solid focus lenses on any of the bodies i have tried them out on . Manual focus is more hit and miss for me since my eyesight is no longer what it was

a focus stack shot lets you select focus, Lytro cameras were the pioneers in that idea and I am sure it is coming to cell phones based on what my current cell can already do.

And the tech really matters less than having the vision for what you want and getting out and shooting it. a friend has an MFA in photography and she is the least tech oriented person i know but has a distinct vision for what she wants (currently she is back at schoold doing a writing-based masters degree too compliment the visual arts one)
02-18-2021, 07:52 AM - 4 Likes   #2514
Pentaxian

More skate images from late yesterday afternoon. All in front of the Mayor's building. The young woman is Julia and the young man is Thomas. They and the rest of the skate crew have accepted my presence ... in exchange for copies of my images. I gave Thomas a USB key that was loaded yesterday from a previous shoot. All taken with my Fujifilm X-T3 and the XF 35/2 lens. Post-production B&W via Darktable 3.

02-18-2021, 01:10 PM - 5 Likes   #2515
Veteran Member

Meyer-Optik Gorlitz 50/ 1.8 , X-t1
02-18-2021, 08:13 PM - 6 Likes   #2516
Veteran Member

Used the x100t yesterday. Loaded some custom film recipes this was Ektachrome. Added the frame but otherwise no post done

02-18-2021, 08:50 PM   #2517
Veteran Member

Autofocus depends on so many variables. I find my fuji cams much better than the Pentax cams I had...but they are all newer generations. I haven't tried the XT1 recently, though on all my cams i tend to use single spot focus and move it around to what i want only occasionally do I use the other options
the XF23 f2 and XF50 f2 both are snappy solid focus lenses on any of the bodies i have tried them out on . Manual focus is more hit and miss for me since my eyesight is no longer what it was

a focus stack shot lets you select focus, Lytro cameras were the pioneers in that idea and I am sure it is coming to cell phones based on what my current cell can already do.

And the tech really matters less than having the vision for what you want and getting out and shooting it. a friend has an MFA in photography and she is the least tech oriented person i know but has a distinct vision for what she wants (currently she is back at schoold doing a writing-based masters degree too compliment the visual arts one)
I marvel at , for instance henri Cartier bresson whom you quote in your posts, to use one camera and lens ......
how many have we all had... and no that long ago started down this road. This camera ,this lens , then this one , now this one .....
02-18-2021, 09:25 PM - 2 Likes   #2518
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-H1 with TT Artisan 50mm f1.2

02-18-2021, 09:30 PM - 1 Like   #2519
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
I marvel at , for instance henri Cartier bresson whom you quote in your posts, to use one camera and lens ......
how many have we all had... and no that long ago started down this road. This camera ,this lens , then this one , now this one .....
Henri was my friend Paul’s “uncle” (family friend) he has a few prints uncle Henri left him. He did use more than one lens (and camera for that matter ) but primarily he used Leica m3 with a 50, but did use a few other lenses occasionally. Winogrand shot mostly 28 and 35mm. For the work they did this lenses worked .. hcb was a painter and looked at the 50 as a natural painting style fov . He went back to painting at the end of his life . It is easy to get caught up in gear. We all do it to some degree
02-19-2021, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #2520
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Used the x100t yesterday. Loaded some custom film recipes this was Ektachrome. Added the frame but otherwise no post done

Now that is an awesome shot.