Show Printable Version 8405 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2021, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #2926
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
It's terrible. Send it back
Why did I sell mine, again?
it's perfect for the X-H1; the AF doesn't seem slow at all (to me)....

04-26-2021, 03:28 PM   #2927
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
it's perfect for the X-H1; the AF doesn't seem slow at all (to me)....
Yeah, the AF was slow on an X-E1, but fine for landscapes.
Mine was more faffing with the filter on and off for long exposures (since the lens retracts when off).
There was also the matter of the 23mm F2 which I couldn't afford at the time.
04-26-2021, 03:46 PM   #2928
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Yeah, the AF was slow on an X-E1, but fine for landscapes.
Mine was more faffing with the filter on and off for long exposures (since the lens retracts when off).
There was also the matter of the 23mm F2 which I couldn't afford at the time.

mine won't have a filter on it.... no worries...
04-26-2021, 04:34 PM - 2 Likes   #2929
Veteran Member

m40/ 2.8, x-pro 1

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-Pro1  Photo 
04-26-2021, 04:37 PM - 4 Likes   #2930
Veteran Member

m 40/ 2.8, x-pro1
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-Pro1  Photo 
04-26-2021, 05:11 PM - 3 Likes   #2931
Veteran Member

X-pro1, m 40/ 2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-Pro1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
X-Pro1  Photo 
04-26-2021, 06:43 PM - 4 Likes   #2932
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-H1 with XF 60mm f2.4 R Macro

more utter dreck from this lens:

04-26-2021, 06:43 PM - 3 Likes   #2933
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

X-H1 with XF 60mm f2.4 R Macro

04-26-2021, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #2934
Veteran Member

more utter dreck from this lens:

That’s a pretty good photo .
stirred up a little hornets nest then .............

04-27-2021, 05:56 AM - 1 Like   #2935
Veteran Member

X-pro1, m 40/ 2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
X-Pro1  Photo 
04-27-2021, 08:34 AM   #2936
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glinda Quote
m 40/ 2.8, x-pro1
what is the name of this flowering tree?
04-27-2021, 09:20 AM - 2 Likes   #2937

Photos: Albums
Quick question for the Fuji crowd. How is your experience using the Fuji platform for vintage lens use? I had a a6300 for a couple years that I used with a PF-K adapter and sold. I can use catch in focus on the K5ii, which I do a lot, but I miss the EVF optical zoom and focus peaking aids for manual lens. Just curious from those who have used vintage on native Pentax bodies and Fuji bodies, which one do you prefer?
04-27-2021, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #2938
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I love my vintage lenses on Fuji bodies...

I only have one AF X-mount lens, everything else on my X-bodies are manual lenses..

with focus peaking in the EVF, I can see things only hoped for in the OVF of my Pentax bodies....

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 04-27-2021 at 09:49 AM.
04-27-2021, 09:48 AM   #2939
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mbceft Quote
Quick question for the Fuji crowd. How is your experience using the Fuji platform for vintage lens use? I had a a6300 for a couple years that I used with a PF-K adapter and sold. I can use catch in focus on the K5ii, which I do a lot, but I miss the EVF optical zoom and focus peaking aids for manual lens. Just curious from those who have used vintage on native Pentax bodies and Fuji bodies, which one do you prefer?
Can't really speak to using Pentax cameras with vintage lenses, but my X-T20 has proven an excellent platform. I use mainly Takumars, but due to the short registration distance, practically any lens can be adapted. In addition to the Takumars, I have vintage lenses in Nikon, Pentax-K and Canon mounts that all work well. The focus peaking is great for when I have time for a slow, deliberate set-up. I focus wide open and then stop down to the aperture I want to use, which practically guarantees I will catch focus. For fast moving grand-kids, I set a high ISO, which the Fuji sensor handles well, and zone focus, like I did back in the Spotmatic days. The shooting controls are well laid out to make adjustments if the shutter speed gets too low. The one drawback is that the settings to tell the camera the focal length for exif purposes are buried deep in the menu stack, which is a pain when I'm jumping from one lens to another. Overall, I would say that I use vintage lenses 75% of the time and the kit Fuji zoom the rest of the time. If I had more native Fuji lenses that ratio would probably change, but I haven't really had the urge to buy any.
04-27-2021, 10:04 AM - 2 Likes   #2940

Photos: Albums
I love my vintage lenses on Fuji bodies...

I only have one AF X-mount lens, everything else on my X-bodies are manual lenses..

with focus peaking in the EVF, I can see things only hoped for in the OVF of my Pentax bodies....
Thanks for the feedback. Focus peaking and zoom to focus are the two main features that I miss from the Sony. I had it programmed to zoom on one button and turn peaking off and on with the other for those times when the DoF was so deep that the whole screen turned yellow :-)

The more I look at the way I like to shoot, the more I want to get back into the EVF tools kit. Sony was OK but I never really liked using the camera. The Fuji I used was the X100T and I enjoyed the manual controls.

---------- Post added 04-27-21 at 10:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Neuse River Sailor Quote
Can't really speak to using Pentax cameras with vintage lenses, but my X-T20 has proven an excellent platform. I use mainly Takumars, but due to the short registration distance, practically any lens can be adapted. In addition to the Takumars, I have vintage lenses in Nikon, Pentax-K and Canon mounts that all work well. The focus peaking is great for when I have time for a slow, deliberate set-up. I focus wide open and then stop down to the aperture I want to use, which practically guarantees I will catch focus. For fast moving grand-kids, I set a high ISO, which the Fuji sensor handles well, and zone focus, like I did back in the Spotmatic days. The shooting controls are well laid out to make adjustments if the shutter speed gets too low. The one drawback is that the settings to tell the camera the focal length for exif purposes are buried deep in the menu stack, which is a pain when I'm jumping from one lens to another. Overall, I would say that I use vintage lenses 75% of the time and the kit Fuji zoom the rest of the time. If I had more native Fuji lenses that ratio would probably change, but I haven't really had the urge to buy any.
Thank you for the insight. Using vintage on Sony with an adapter, I am familiar with the process. I just didn’t care for the hardware and sold it. I still have a couple Pentax 35mm film bodies that I use as well as plenty of old glass to last me a lifetime. The two key points you made for me that may work as well for the K5ii is the focus open trick and the reminder that zone focus can be your friend.

Thanks again