Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Fuji FP100C development times

I recently purchased a Polaroid 330 Land Camera from the local thrift store and to my joyful surprise the camera works! Now I am trying to figure out the exposure compensation and development times for a metering system that probably shifted out of calibration over time.

What happens if I peel the films apart sooner than the recommended minimum time? Do I get a seemingly over exposed image with poor contrast or is it under exposed with too much contrast?

Thanks!

08-19-2015, 11:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe what you get is over or under development rather than exposure. If memory serves me though under development results in low contrast while over exposure gives high contrast.
08-19-2015, 11:59 PM   #3
MJL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
Now I am trying to figure out the exposure compensation and development times for a metering system that probably shifted out of calibration over time.
Are you referring to the Polaroid CdS cell light meter? I find they are very accurate under sunny to shady outdoor conditions - if the CdS cell is working and the lens in front of it is clean. However, like many electronics on old cameras, they may give inconsistent result due to corrosion on the PCB or wiring.

I found the temperature during development is more critical than time in most peel away instant films. It is also better to "overdevelop", i.e. more development time than recommended ( such as 90 seconds at 25C). Underdeveloped prints due to cold temperature (<15C) or short development time will give you a off color/pastel/low contrast pictutre with few details to salvage.

I see you live in Nevada, so I think you should have no problem in using the common 1 minute developement time for FP100C during the day. Anytime when the air temperature drop below 20C, you need to follow the guideline on the film tab rigidly for good result.
08-20-2015, 07:11 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!

So it sounds like there is no pushing/pulling the development. It is what it is. All I can change is the general exposure.

My 330 camera was really dirty. It looked like it sat in the rain. There are trails of rust stains on the outside housing from the hinges. Inside was a little better with just general dirt and grime. I cleaned the lens and the light meter window. The camera is missing the front cover. I rigged up a 3V source from 2 AA batteries, some wire, and alligator clips. Dark scenes gave "slow" shutter speeds, like *click ...... click" while bright scenes gave faster shutter speeds, like "click.click". I can't tell if the shutter or meter is calibrated or not from this. The camera has two film speed settings: 75 and 3000. Fuji FP100C is 100. I figure I would need to adjust my aperture/exposure ring a little toward "Darken" since I have more sensitive film. My first shot was really dark. I turned the ring back the other way toward lighten and the image came out just slightly dark but very nice - very acceptable.

So, something in the camera is a bit off and I'm trying to find ways to compensate for it. I thought I could do something with the development time.

08-20-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure if this would help if you didn't already find it?

http://www.cameramanuals.org/polaroid_pdf/polaroid_330.pdf