Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2015, 07:03 AM   #1

Nikon FA - is it broken?

Hi, I have problem with new Nikon FA (I can sent it back, I bought as untested):

Seems like P and S modes are both OK (testing with Nikkor 55/1.2 AI)
When I change exposure time in S from 1/2000s to 1/60s it changes aperture from f=2 to f=16 which is OK for me.

But when in A or M mode:
If I choose smallest aperture f=16(or 22 on other lens) it says 1/30s, but when I'm constantly changing aperture to wider (f=8, f=1.2) exposure time is getting __longer__ not smaller, it shoudl have for example 1/125s at f=8 while it says 1/8, and at f=1.2 it says 1s or even LO.

I've downloaded user manual for FA and it says exactly what I think - that exposure times should be shorter and shorter when opening aperture wider.
I've tried to change metering mode from matrix to center weighed - no effect.
I've tried differnt set of batteries (from FM2) - no effect, and FM2 works on battersies from FA.
I see that aperture numbers in iewfinder (via aperture direct readout ADR) are not fitting in their small "window" - they're cut in half.... about....
So maybe some mechanical damage?
Lens mount with standar click, tight, all seems the same as on F4, FM2, D3....
I checked 3 lenses: AI, AI-S and AF-D, all three the same effect.
I checked without loaded file, I've checked with film, I set exposure compensation to 0 and ISO to 200 (matching film speed used)
I tried before start frame no.1 and untill frame no.5.... so no hardcoded 1/250s .... still A and M modes broken....

Any ideas if camera is broken - or I'm doing something really wrong???

Best Regards.

09-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #2
Forum Member

A few years ago I bought an FA that did that. Something is wrong with it. I sent mine back for refund and I would do the same with yours. It's been said that the FA has such sophisticated electronics, and those electronics are getting old, so that's a recipe for trouble. Some shops won't work on them probably for that reason.

Last edited by TheLens; 09-14-2015 at 07:09 PM. Reason: typo
09-14-2015, 10:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
OK, thanks, now the guy is sending me another one.
If next one works, I'll sent that one back.
If none are working, I'll send back two and get refund.
Will see.....
09-16-2015, 06:44 AM   #4

Original Poster
And finally:
I received another Nikon FA body.
New body behaves exactly like manual says, all modes are OK: P, S, A, M with AI lens.
If I physically set wider aperture like f=4 on lens with minimum f=16, then i P and S modes when shooting in conditions that requires smaller than f=4 aperture - it says fEE - perfectly OK (old body was never saying fEE).
I've sent back broken/damaged body, keep this new one and wasted film for tests.
Well maybe not wasted full film.
It was at 6th frame, so I rewind it (avoiding hiding film in cartdridge). Then I've loaded that film to new FA, and shoot anything to 6th frame in all modes.
Now mybe starting at frame 7th rest of film will be just OK.

09-19-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
Forum Member

Glad you got a good one. I should have kept the black one I bought about 10 years ago. It looked good and worked fine. But about 2007 I thought I was done with film and sold all my film gear. That was a regret because the chrome FA I bought about 3 years ago was acting up and I sent it back. Someday I want to get another FA because it's an awesome body.
09-21-2015, 02:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
I really like it, for example my son (1 year old) got session yesterday.
Just get it into P and shoot few frames.
Body is light, lens 55/1.2 is perfect.
I can hide it anywhere and just go. And if I put this in "M" mode I just have the same as FM2.
With Pentax 67 + 165/2.8 I cannot do that. It is heavy and not that small :P