Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #166
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
It is hard for me to believe you are serious. Hyperfocal distance is not a "relic of film days." It is still very useful, particularly , as I said with wide angle lenses.
it's an obsolete concept that's only useful for ovf cameras... with a modern evf camera, you can use magnification to set an accurate focus point anywhere in the frame you want, at any distance, it's far better than guessing hyperfocal distances.

for example, afaik sony didn't put any hyperfocal marks on their mirrorless lenses.

11-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #167
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
it's an obsolete concept that's only useful for ovf cameras... with a modern evf camera, you can use magnification to set an accurate focus point anywhere in the frame you want, at any distance, it's far better than guessing hyperfocal distances.

for example, afaik sony didn't put any hyperfocal marks on their mirrorless lenses.
Probably because they are all focus by wire lenses.
11-14-2015, 10:22 AM   #168
osv
Veteran Member

But it really seems to me that Samsung hasn't been able to carve out a niche that is distinct from other, more established brands. 4K video certainly isn't something that is unique to them. Both Panasonic and Sony have cameras that do this as well, I believe.
panasonic cameras had/have tiny sensors, they are weak in anything less than perfect lighting conditions, the nx1 is an aps-c sensor with 4k video... it was unique, not even sony offered 4k at the time; for instance, my a7r doesn't shoot 4k video.

afaik canikon and pentax still don't offer 4k video in their dslrs?

---------- Post added 11-14-15 at 09:28 AM ----------

Probably because they are all focus by wire lenses.
i think that's true, even the xlnt mf zeiss batis 25mm is focus by wire.

focusing with the evf works perfectly on all of the old legacy glass tho, i never use any of the markings on the barrel... it's a huge step up in focusing accuracy.
11-14-2015, 10:29 AM   #169
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Pretty easy to "guess" hyperfocal distance with a little experience.

Hyperfocal is neither "obsolete" nor a "relic", it is simply a method.

11-14-2015, 10:43 AM   #170
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

Yes, and it has absolutely nothing to do with de ability to autofocus anywhere in the frame. When I shoot my DA*16-50 on the widest end and F8 for landscapes (my most used setting) with some foreground I generally don't use autofocus at all. I look at the distance scale and set the focus manually without even having to look at the scene I am photographing. I once started with finding the hyperfocal distance (with some help from a app on my phone) and trough experience with this lens I know what I have to do to achieve maximal sharpness.
11-14-2015, 10:45 AM   #171
osv
Veteran Member

it's an obsolete method wrt evf cameras.

that leaves dslrs, but my guess is that liveview with the lcd is more accurate than guessing hyperfocal distances.
11-14-2015, 10:51 AM   #172
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

that leaves dslrs, but my guess is that liveview with the lcd is more accurate than guessing hyperfocal distances.
Do you actually know what hyperfocal focussing is? Perhaps you should find out before posting... It is not the ability to focus on a given spot, but the choosing the right distance to focus on so that the whole scene is sharp and not for instance only the foreground. English is not my native language so if I haven't made myself clear, I am sorry.

11-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #173
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't be silly. Plenty of photographers who use EVF-equipped cameras use hyperfocal, particularly street shooters. Also, many photographers at sporting events use it. Hyperfocal does not require a VF at all.

I sometimes use hyperfocal with my K-01 + 21, 35, 70 lenses.
11-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #174
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
When I shoot my DA*16-50 on the widest end and F8 for landscapes (my most used setting) with some foreground I generally don't use autofocus at all.
i hate af!

16mm f/8 on crop? the calculators claim that dof is ~ 3ft to infinity.

28mm f/10 on ff, the calculators claim 4.3ft to infinity dof, at 100' or 1000'... the hyperfocal number is always 8.6', which is way wrong, because with peaking in the evf i can see the dof band moving across the field, when i'm focusing the shot at 100 yards.

unfortunately i can't really compare the hyperfocal barrel markings with the a7r, because the adapters are always slightly short, to allow legacy glass to focus past infinity... it would be an interesting test with a dslr lcd screen.

---------- Post added 11-14-15 at 10:26 AM ----------

Don't be silly. Plenty of photographers who use EVF-equipped cameras use hyperfocal, particularly street shooters. Also, many photographers at sporting events use it. Hyperfocal does not require a VF at all.

I sometimes use hyperfocal with my K-01 + 21, 35, 70 lenses.
hyperfocal distance could be an accurate number with my m28/3.5 lens on your k-01, but put that same glass on my a7r, and the hyperfocal distance can't possibly be correct, because most mirrorless adapters are designed with shorter register distances, to allow the lens to focus past infinity.

i suppose that i could measure my own hyperfocal distances and mark the lens, but it would still not be anywhere near as accurate as magnification in the evf.

as for what "plenty of photographers" do, there are idiots out there who think that turbo boosters are just as good as full frame...
11-14-2015, 11:44 AM   #175
Pentaxian

I use hyperfocal with my A7RII. It's all about 'acceptable' sharpness. If you focus on the hyperfocal distance (and you can use a laser measure to do this - I have) then the whole scene will be acceptably sharp. It means you can use a larger aperture which gives you the opportunity to get the sharpest point of your lens and minimise diffraction. It is a process lost on pixel peepers. I bought the Tamron 24 - 70 partly to get the distance scale rather than have the imprecise focus by wire system. What would be perfect would be t he ability to enter the hyperfocal distance into the camera and the camera automatically sets focus to that distance. The technology is already there to do it.
11-15-2015, 06:32 AM   #176
Veteran Member

Are you serious?

Does Pentax put those marks on their lenses? At least not all of them, AFAIK.

And of course it is NOT only useful for OVF cameras. I might want to have as much in focus as possible... I may also want to do that in an EVF camera, but for that the hyperfocal distance is good to know. For example in interior photography knowledge of what will be in focus at what aperture is very valuable.

osv, Canon does have 4K video in their DSLRs. The 1Dc had it for a while now, shooting 4K MJPEG videos. It's a professional camera, meant for videographers, and rather on the upper end of the price range (it's more than the 645Z) and it uses MJPEG. (Why exactly did Pentax drop the option of MJPEG...?)
11-15-2015, 08:34 AM   #177
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
And of course it is NOT only useful for OVF cameras. I might want to have as much in focus as possible... I may also want to do that in an EVF camera, but for that the hyperfocal distance is good to know. For example in interior photography knowledge of what will be in focus at what aperture is very valuable.
the evf on my a7r is so good that i can see diffraction at f/11, and i can test lenses for decentering and field curvature without ever taking a shot.

i test all my lenses, so i know ahead of time what aperture is needed for any given scenario, and i can check for focus sharpness during the shoot.

osv, Canon does have 4K video in their DSLRs. The 1Dc had it for a while now, shooting 4K MJPEG videos. It's a professional camera, meant for videographers, and rather on the upper end of the price range (it's more than the 645Z) and it uses MJPEG. (Why exactly did Pentax drop the option of MJPEG...?)
"Today Canon reduced the price of their 4K video DSLR, the Canon EOS 1DC, by $4,000, taking the retail price from $11,999 down to $7,999."
11-15-2015, 09:57 AM   #178
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hyperfocal distance could be an accurate number with my m28/3.5 lens on your k-01, but put that same glass on my a7r, and the hyperfocal distance can't possibly be correct, because most mirrorless adapters are designed with shorter register distances, to allow the lens to focus past infinity.
That's why one learns one's equipment. It's not difficult, except maybe for those who are lazy or easily confused.

QuoteQuote:
i suppose that i could measure my own hyperfocal distances and mark the lens, but it would still not be anywhere near as accurate as magnification in the evf.

as for what "plenty of photographers" do, there are idiots out there who think that turbo boosters are just as good as full frame...
I don't think there are many "idiots out there who think that turbo boosters are just as good as full frame". In fact, there might not be any, except for the one participating in your own inner dialogue.

Goodbye.
11-17-2015, 08:20 AM   #179
Veteran Member

"Today Canon reduced the price of their 4K video DSLR, the Canon EOS 1DC, by $4,000, taking the retail price from $11,999 down to $7,999."
Still more than the 645Z (which is currently going for $7K), so kadajawi's point stands.

</pedantry>
11-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
panasonic cameras had/have tiny sensors, they are weak in anything less than perfect lighting conditions,
This is a bit of an exaggeration. You do realize that the GH4 is one of the most used cameras for videographers? This is because its simply a fantastic film making tool. It's not all about sensor size. The Pentax 645z has a huge sensor and despite this its far more inferior for video than the GH4. What is so great about the NX1 is that it practically eclipsed the GH4 inspite of being more or less samsung's first "pro" camera that they ever put out. Strictly, speaking the GH4 is the more mature of the two systems yet the NX1 still edges it out
https://youtu.be/1vqLQ27R2O8?t=5m

This is 2015. Nothing is "weak in less than perfect lighting conditions" aside from maybe the cheapest of point and shoots. Even the newest generation of iphones which are smaller than 4/3s do pretty well in low light. Sony proved that the tech improvements are the most important part.