Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #181
osv
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: So Cal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,080
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
That's why one learns one's equipment.
irrelevant to the point that was made.

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't think there are many "idiots out there who think that turbo boosters are just as good as full frame". In fact, there might not be any, except for the one participating in your own inner dialogue.
i take it that you don't get out much? because crop trolls argue it all the time, using all sorts of angles: Why crop sensors are better than full frame - EOSHD - EOSHD Forum

---------- Post added 11-17-15 at 01:34 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
Still more than the 645Z (which is currently going for $7K), so kadajawi's point stands.

</pedantry>
true, but

the 645z doesn't do 4k, and spending $8k to get 4k video on a dslr is hardly an argument for anything.

for that kind of money and form factor hassle, there are so many other choices... you could for instance, get a bm ursa body for $5k, that has a real global shutter.

11-19-2015, 03:46 PM   #182
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,423
Samsung Germany has now confirmed withdrawing from the German market (that means Europe since it is one market). Samsung NX1 discontinued in Europe? Rumors say 'yes' (update: confirmed in Germany): Digital Photography Review
11-19-2015, 03:54 PM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,551
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Samsung Germany has now confirmed withdrawing from the German market (that means Europe since it is one market). Samsung NX1 discontinued in Europe? Rumors say 'yes' (update: confirmed in Germany): Digital Photography Review
I just saw that. How unfortunate.
11-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #184
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,423
I'd Rather have real camera Companies survive than a big corporation that just throws a lot of cash at it without a real commitment. So Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Fujifilm and Olympus. I don't really trust Sony a lot.

11-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #185
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,551
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
I'd Rather have real camera Companies survive than a big corporation that just throws a lot of cash at it without a real commitment. So Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Fujifilm and Olympus. I don't really trust Sony a lot.
I understand that and can see the viewpoint, but Canon and Nikon seem awfully conservative and Fuji seems to be off in a corner doing it's own thing. Sometimes outsiders can spur innovation. From what I've read, Samsung's NX1 is a very good product and it's a shame when good products fail - for whatever reason.*

I am very pleased that Oly has righted the ship. If I were starting photography today I might be shooting Oly rather than Pentax.


*Of course, I'm an ardent K-01 fan, so my perspective might be a bit off.
11-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #186
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,615
Original Poster
The NX-1 is a great camera for techie types, but it doesn't seem to appeal to photographers and Samsung has struggled to understand this. You would think other companies would have paid close attention to all of the ways Sony screwed up as it entered the DSLR market and learned from all of those mistakes, but apparently not. You can make a really good camera and still fail miserably if you don't know how to market your products. The Fuji X-Pro 1 was a very quirky, unrefined camera when it was first released. The NX-1 is light years ahead of the X-Pro 1 in every way, but Fuji knows how to market to photographers and connect with photographers. Samsung doesn't.... Samsung is really good at creating impressive spec sheets.
11-19-2015, 10:14 PM   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
luftfluss's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,551
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
The NX-1 is a great camera for techie types, but it doesn't seem to appeal to photographers and Samsung has struggled to understand this. You would think other companies would have paid close attention to all of the ways Sony screwed up as it entered the DSLR market and learned from all of those mistakes, but apparently not. You can make a really good camera and still fail miserably if you don't know how to market your products. The Fuji X-Pro 1 was a very quirky, unrefined camera when it was first released. The NX-1 is light years ahead of the X-Pro 1 in every way, but Fuji knows how to market to photographers and connect with photographers. Samsung doesn't.... Samsung is really good at creating impressive spec sheets.
The thing is - and there's no way for us to know this - is how much are photogs affected by the name of the brand? Fuji gets instant cred, no matter what, because they have long been a name associated with photography. Samsung, OTOH, is a name long associated with microwave ovens. And over the years, I've heard/read plenty of photogs say I'll never buy Sony, they make radios, I'll never buy Panasonic, they make TV's... much of the online photographic community (and by that I mean the type who frequently participate in forums like PF, DPR, etc.) are a hidebound bunch.

In short, had Fuji released the NX1, I'm sure some pundits would describe it as a "photographer's camera", and if Samsung had released the glitchy (not just quirky, glitchy) X-Pro 1 (or glitchy X100, or glitchy X10, or glitchy X-S1 yadda yadda) we'd be hearing about how Samsung is a n00b when it comes to photography and they'd better get their sh1t together.

As far as Samsung's marketing... yeah. Frankly, I think even their smartphone and tablet commercials haven't been very good, and those are core tech products for them.

11-19-2015, 10:48 PM   #188
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,615
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The thing is - and there's no way for us to know this - is how much are photogs affected by the name of the brand? Fuji gets instant cred, no matter what, because they have long been a name associated with photography. Samsung, OTOH, is a name long associated with microwave ovens. And over the years, I've heard/read plenty of photogs say I'll never buy Sony, they make radios, I'll never buy Panasonic, they make TV's... much of the online photographic community (and by that I mean the type who frequently participate in forums like PF, DPR, etc.) are a hidebound bunch.

In short, had Fuji released the NX1, I'm sure some pundits would describe it as a "photographer's camera", and if Samsung had released the glitchy (not just quirky, glitchy) X-Pro 1 (or glitchy X100, or glitchy X10, or glitchy X-S1 yadda yadda) we'd be hearing about how Samsung is a n00b when it comes to photography and they'd better get their sh1t together.

As far as Samsung's marketing... yeah. Frankly, I think even their smartphone and tablet commercials haven't been very good, and those are core tech products for them.
Brand has a lot to do with it, but that goes back to marketing. Samsung markets itself as a consumer electronics giant, and that doesn't play well to photographers.
11-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #189
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,615
Original Poster
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFDZRRA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ref_=gb1h_tit_m-...eb8d35082c7ab3

NX-1 almost 30% off at Amazon.

Samsung is going to screw up. If they pull out of one market the fear will grow that they are going to pull out of other markets and prices will fall. In the internet age, markets aren't that isolated. My guess is that they end up only selling cameras in Asia.

Last edited by Winder; 11-22-2015 at 05:18 PM.
11-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #190
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,913
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
In the internet age, markets aren't that isolated.
You are right - it's weird in this day and age for them to [pretend to] be segmenting geographic markets. Most likely they are just doing a phased global shutdown of their whole NX business.
11-22-2015, 07:06 PM   #191
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montréal QC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,333
My guess is they have warehouse facilities in various corners of the world, and are basically waiting for stock levels to drop in each market before announcing withdrawal...
11-26-2015, 12:53 AM   #192
Veteran Member
VisualDarkness's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Uppsala, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,438
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NFDZRRA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ref_=gb1h_tit_m-...eb8d35082c7ab3

NX-1 almost 30% off at Amazon.

Samsung is going to screw up. If they pull out of one market the fear will grow that they are going to pull out of other markets and prices will fall. In the internet age, markets aren't that isolated. My guess is that they end up only selling cameras in Asia.
That is a steal!
11-26-2015, 12:30 PM   #193
Pentaxian
D1N0's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: ---
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,423
This is getting a bit old now but: Samsung to axe digital cameras and camcorders in UK (update3) - Amateur Photographer

exit UK exact same statement as Germany and Holland.
11-27-2015, 03:29 PM   #194
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 6,615
Original Poster
Samsung also ends Camera Sales in UK! - mirrorlessrumors

"Now a spoiler alert. I am working on an exclusive Samsung rumor. Stay tuned. As there is a huge surprise."

Maybe Samsung is partnering with another brand to provide a mirrorless system. Of course it would have to be an established brand that doesn't currently have a mirrorless line.
11-28-2015, 12:11 AM   #195
Veteran Member
neostyles's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 445
QuoteQuote:
I'd Rather have real camera Companies survive than a big corporation that just throws a lot of cash at it without a real commitment. So Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Fujifilm and Olympus. I don't really trust Sony a lot.
Samsung have released 4 updates for the NX1 that these days are about if not more than everything a new camera from one of those big names you mentioned. The thing is that these big names just aren't innovative anymore. Nikon has hasnt done anything new on the video side of things in years. None of them are doing much to evolve cameras and introduce new technology. This is where sony/samsung are making a big name for themselves. Sony is paving the way for the future of cameras. The samsung nx1 is probably one of the most powerful consumer cameras in existence. DigitalRev reviewed the nx500 and it beat the 5dmk3 for video sharpness. This is a $500 camera vs a a $3000 giant. What about their commitment to bringing much more features to consumers for a much lower price?

This thing was pretty much samsungs first attempt at competing with the big names and i think they did alittle more than throw money at it. Its one of the best all around cameras on the market.

Last edited by neostyles; 11-28-2015 at 12:38 AM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
600mm, a7r, action, af, argument, business, camera, cameras, dont, dslr, dslrs, exif, focus, fuji, japan, lens, light, line, mirrorless, panasonic, people, post, sales, samsung, shot, shots, shutter, sony, time, video
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting the most out of the Q series CWRailman Pentax Q 23 04-24-2015 08:59 PM
Getting the most out of a $25 Vivitar 28mm lens ismaelg Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 14 04-23-2015 07:27 AM
Samsung's mobile phone business to absorb Samsung Digital Imaging? Tommy Pentax News and Rumors 2 09-30-2009 08:46 AM
Getting the best out of the sigma 10-20mm amicah22 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 33 04-06-2009 01:28 AM
Getting the most out of my K20D shadowraven Pentax DSLR Discussion 19 01-29-2009 04:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top