Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2015, 02:53 AM   #196
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
Of course it would have to be an established brand that doesn't currently have a mirrorless line.
Holga?

11-28-2015, 03:44 AM   #197
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Samsung have released 4 updates for the NX1 that these days are about if not more than everything a new camera from one of those big names you mentioned. The thing is that these big names just aren't innovative anymore. Nikon has hasnt done anything new on the video side of things in years. None of them are doing much to evolve cameras and introduce new technology. This is where sony/samsung are making a big name for themselves. Sony is paving the way for the future of cameras. The samsung nx1 is probably one of the most powerful consumer cameras in existence. DigitalRev reviewed the nx500 and it beat the 5dmk3 for video sharpness. This is a $500 camera vs a a $3000 giant. What about their commitment to bringing much more features to consumers for a much lower price?

This thing was pretty much samsungs first attempt at competing with the big names and i think they did alittle more than throw money at it. Its one of the best all around cameras on the market.
They are probably fine cameras. The issue is that they didn't sell. Maybe it was lack of a name and the cachet that goes with an established brand. Maybe it was the lack of a full frame option for upgrading. Maybe it is that video performance isn't actually that important to people buying ILCs -- they buy them for still photography and video performance is an after thought. Maybe it was simply a lack of a really well developed glass line up. In the end, Samsung was apparently losing money in multiple markets.

I do think the full frame thing probably hurts them a fair amount. The Sony A7 is priced at 998 on Amazon, while the NX 1 is priced at 1100 (both body only prices). It is tough to sell APS-C cameras at that price point in this market, but Samsung has resisted discounting their flagship cameras.

It is disappointing. I'm not likely to buy a Samsung camera, but the more folks in the market that push innovation, the more will be available to the users of all brands.
11-28-2015, 05:06 AM   #198
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Samsung have released 4 updates for the NX1 that these days are about if not more than everything a new camera from one of those big names you mentioned. The thing is that these big names just aren't innovative anymore. Nikon has hasnt done anything new on the video side of things in years. None of them are doing much to evolve cameras and introduce new technology. This is where sony/samsung are making a big name for themselves. Sony is paving the way for the future of cameras. The samsung nx1 is probably one of the most powerful consumer cameras in existence. DigitalRev reviewed the nx500 and it beat the 5dmk3 for video sharpness. This is a $500 camera vs a a $3000 giant. What about their commitment to bringing much more features to consumers for a much lower price?

This thing was pretty much samsungs first attempt at competing with the big names and i think they did alittle more than throw money at it. Its one of the best all around cameras on the market.
Well they sure threw a lot of money at it, but they were not ready for the long term. They got cold feet and got out of the water. Where as Ricoh knows the water is cold and it prepared for that. But you should be happy because the NX1 your holy grail is getting cheaper by the minute. Just make sure you get some lenses too.
11-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #199
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
NX1 with 16-50mm F/2-2.8 is down to $2k (plus tax) from the main local retailer here in Montreal. If I had $2,300 available for camera gear, I would be sorely tempted. NX500 seems to be all gone in Canada, except for BestBuy, who are discounting it, but not heavily (yet). Good lens deals at BestBuy too (e.g. 12-24 for $350)...

12-01-2015, 07:49 AM   #200
Pentaxian

See Sony will get a new major competition soon! - Sony Alpha News & Rumors - Sony Alpha Forum
QuoteOriginally posted by SAR_admin:
I got informed by Ale from Mirrorlessrumors.com that a new major Sony E-mount competitor soon. And this time it's a real big deal. Not a niche competitor like Leica!

Spoiler: It all has to do with the recent Samsung news...
The recent Samsung news/rumours being:

- Samsung are fading out their digital camera business
- Samsung will make a major statement at the CES event in early January

and Sony putting a lot of money in and marketing emphasis on their Alpha 7(x) series, one can imagine that Samsung's statement will be about selling the intellectual property related to their digital camera business and that the acquirer ("a major competitor, not a niche competitor") will use it to produce a 24x36 mirrorless system.

Canon relying on the EF-M mount for APS-C and soon 24x36 mirrorless cameras, who will be this major competitor? Nikon? Ricoh? A newcomer?
12-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #201
Pentaxian

There were some rumours about Canon Acquiring photographic companies (this would be tech and not a company), but still. I don't think Ricoh would have the cash or the marketing power. Only Canon and Nikon would make sense. Panasonic and Olympus are into the m43 format way too deep and Canonikon could use a simple smart adapter to make NX-mount compatible with their lenses. Of course they could just change the mount, it's not like they have to please Samsung customers, they have to retain their own.
12-01-2015, 08:57 AM   #202
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
There were some rumours about Canon Acquiring photographic companies (this would be tech and not a company), but still. I don't think Ricoh would have the cash or the marketing power. Only Canon and Nikon would make sense. Panasonic and Olympus are into the m43 format way too deep and Canonikon could use a simple smart adapter to make NX-mount compatible with their lenses. Of course they could just change the mount, it's not like they have to please Samsung customers, they have to retain their own.
But what would bring Samsung technology and meagre user base to Canon or Nikon? What would they find in Samsung's camera activity that they cannot do themselves or find elsewhere?

In addition, a mere divestment, which is always admitting a failure of some sort, is not something justifying Samsung rolling the big drums at CES. There has to be something Samsung can put forward with pride, something big: a partnership with a recognised name / Samsung contributing their photo business and receiving a stake in the other company in exchange / the other company exclusively procuring their sensors from Samsung from now on, something like that.

Besides, CES being the Consumer Electronics Show, the buyer should be somebody with a big name in consumer electronics to justify Samsung presenting such announcement as something of major importance. If it weren't for the fierce competition between the two, I would have said Apple.

---------- Post added 12-01-2015 at 05:14 PM ----------

The plot gets thicker:

Some disruptive Samsung rumor coming soon! Nikon, Canon and Sony fellow should not miss to read this one! - mirrorlessrumors

12-01-2015, 05:44 PM   #203
Pentaxian

Samsung is Buying Nikon?

On what Could Canon or Nikon do with Samsung NX? They could take the NX1 and nx-500 and build on that. A ready made mirrorless semi-pro system. Just get a decent adapter and modify the mount to you own needs. That would shave of years of development and an instant presence as a serious mirrorless contender.
12-01-2015, 06:19 PM   #204
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At least over here in Montréal. they are also discounting the lenses, not just the bodies. This would indicate that whatever the nature of the new partnership, the nx mount is likely to be dropped. If the lenses were to be compatible with whatever new bodies might come out in the future, it wouldn't make sense to discount them, no?
12-01-2015, 11:41 PM   #205
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
But what would bring Samsung technology and meagre user base to Canon or Nikon? What would they find in Samsung's camera activity that they cannot do themselves or find elsewhere?

In addition, a mere divestment, which is always admitting a failure of some sort, is not something justifying Samsung rolling the big drums at CES. There has to be something Samsung can put forward with pride, something big: a partnership with a recognised name / Samsung contributing their photo business and receiving a stake in the other company in exchange / the other company exclusively procuring their sensors from Samsung from now on, something like that.

Besides, CES being the Consumer Electronics Show, the buyer should be somebody with a big name in consumer electronics to justify Samsung presenting such announcement as something of major importance. If it weren't for the fierce competition between the two, I would have said Apple.

The plot gets thicker:

Some disruptive Samsung rumor coming soon! Nikon, Canon and Sony fellow should not miss to read this one! - mirrorlessrumors

I saw this too on FMforums.

Its hard for me to see much integration, esp in the long term.

Do they :
1. Rebadge the MX stuff as Nikon - but then abandon the F mount as well as the Nikon 1 system?

2. Add a smart adapter for the Nikon lenses - leaving NX lenses to a slow death, in which case, why this sort of half way solution and not just kill NX right away and make a Nikon NX, which does not need any smart adapter.
Of course going this route immediately buys over the current NX customers and maybe slowly entices them to the new Nikon+NX system (provided they are not angry enough to just dump their stuff)

3. Absorb the NX tech, hibernate for a while and come up with something new. - Being a big camera company with its own egos and philosophies (not to mention the Korean/Jap divide), I think it will be more destructive than collaborative.
Not to mention that Samsung is a very big company and has been supporting the NX via its network of subsidiaries and tech.
The Samsung camera spin off to Nikon will certainly dry out without this support over time.

All these under the shadow of Nikon's push for FF DSLR as the new DSLR 'standard' (as opposed to apsc )

Bottom line to me.
Interesting development, but can't see it affecting me much.
A stand around and see type of development from my POV.
12-02-2015, 04:04 AM   #206
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The plot gets thicker:

I don't see a whole lot that Samsung has that Nikon and Canon don't have or couldn't achieve pretty easily with in-house R and D. Nikon and Canon don't have much in the way of large sensored mirrorless options, but that isn't because they don't have the tech to make them, it is that they have a hard time abandoning EOS and F mounts -- mainly because of their very complete line ups of glass. It is really tough for companies like them, or even Pentax to throw away a current mount, even if you release a fully functional adapter with your new mount. There are still folks who will "never buy Canon again" since they changed away from the FD mount and that has been ages ago.
12-02-2015, 05:04 AM   #207
Pentaxian

The groom is Nikon:

Hot rumor! Nikon bought Samsung NX mirrorless tech! - mirrorlessrumors
12-02-2015, 06:05 AM   #208
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Those rumour sites are so desperate for hits, they seize on anything. The webmaster probably used this thread as his source.
12-02-2015, 06:09 AM   #209
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Those rumour sites are so desperate for hits, they seize on anything. The webmaster probably used this thread as his source.
I know the guy behind Mirrorless Rumors and he is quite serious. This is insider information from a source within Samsung.
12-02-2015, 06:48 AM   #210
Veteran Member

Nikon buying Samsung's NX tech?

I can't see any benefit for Nikon, just headaches. I'm sceptical.