Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
12-02-2015, 07:09 AM   #211
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Nikon buying Samsung's NX tech?

I can't see any benefit for Nikon, just headaches. I'm sceptical.
- sensors, including BSI sensors, as an alternative source to Sony which happens to be an aggressive competitor on the ILC market; Toshiba can't be that alternative any more, they have sold their sensor business to Sony (and Renesas controlling shareholder is currently trying to sell its stake)
- video capabilities
- digital image processors, deriving from those designed for smartphones and far superior to the Milbeaut DIPs purchased by Nikon (and Ricoh, by the way) from Fujitsu

to point out a few.

12-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #212
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
to point out a few.
Much of Samsung's sensor tech for cameras and smartphones is sourced and even fabricated outside Samsung, by the likes of TowerJazz and others.

So I reckon Nikon could find it's own suppliers for just about anything Samsung has, without having to deal with a huge (and fickle) octopus like Samsung.

The thought also strikes me that Nikon may have started this rumour of a Samsung partnership in order to prompt Apple to make a counter-offer to Nikon. I remember reading of Apple and Nikon entering into some joint projects recently, so maybe one of the parties are trying to take the relationship to the next level.

Last edited by rawr; 12-02-2015 at 07:38 AM.
12-02-2015, 07:33 AM   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
- sensors, including BSI sensors, as an alternative source to Sony which happens to be an aggressive competitor on the ILC market; Toshiba can't be that alternative any more, they have sold their sensor business to Sony (and Renesas controlling shareholder is currently trying to sell its stake)
- video capabilities
- digital image processors, deriving from those designed for smartphones and far superior to the Milbeaut DIPs purchased by Nikon (and Ricoh, by the way) from Fujitsu

to point out a few.
Yes, a get-out from being tied to Sony, plus patents. A more secure grip on crucial components - sensors, processors. For a buyer, the Samsung tech might provide a shortcut to an APS-C or FF mirrorless system that is cheaper than doing it all themselves. And that Samsung Exynos-derived digital processor sounds a beast - and it's these processors which are at the heart of all the electronics in modern cameras, so there's some future-proofing involved. But who knows, of course. It could all be hype and if there is an announcement it will be a minor key one.
12-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #214
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just don't know how special Samsung's tech is as compared to Sony's or Olympus's or Panasonic's (just as examples). My perception has always been that the reason that Nikon doesn't have full frame mirrorless has to do with legacy glass and not technical issues, but maybe seeing Sony's success, they are looking more seriously at that.

12-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #215
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The (NX1 & NX500) processor seems like the crown jewel from the NX line, IMHO. From everything I've read, it's just a beast. Sensor-wise, Samsung have more or less caught up with Sony, so it might make sense for Nikon to move away from Sony for their sensors if they see Sony as a threat on the camera front, or if that's the condition to get in bed with Samsung for processors. Milbeaut has just been lagging, AFAICT. For Ricoh, one big question is what happens to Fujitsu's commitment to develop Milbeaut if Nikon drops it...
12-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
For Ricoh, one big question is what happens to Fujitsu's commitment to develop Milbeaut if Nikon drops it.
Milbeaut is on a trajectory of it's own that includes more than just DSLRs. Although Nikon and Ricoh are no doubt valued customers, Fujitsu/ SocioNext doesn't depend exclusively on Nikon or Ricoh. But they have continued to develop Milbeaut, and recently released the 8th generation of Milbeaut, which is likely to find it's way into new Nikons - and the Pentax FF.

Last edited by rawr; 12-02-2015 at 08:00 AM.
12-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
The (NX1 & NX500) processor seems like the crown jewel from the NX line, IMHO. From everything I've read, it's just a beast. Sensor-wise, Samsung have more or less caught up with Sony, so it might make sense for Nikon to move away from Sony for their sensors if they see Sony as a threat on the camera front, or if that's the condition to get in bed with Samsung for processors. Milbeaut has just been lagging, AFAICT. For Ricoh, one big question is what happens to Fujitsu's commitment to develop Milbeaut if Nikon drops it...
But Sony sensor and Sony camera are two completely different divisions -- soon to be different companies? Sony sensor has made a lot of money -- because they will sell to whoever, while the camera division hasn't done so well till recently. Anyway, I don't think there is much if any different between the NX 1 sensor and the sensor in, say, the D7200, except that the D7200 has better dynamic range (D7200 base DR is 14.6 EV -- Samsung base DR is 13.2). I still would pick the Sony chip in this situation, although they both are solid performers.

12-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #218
Pentaxian

This makes perfect sense for Samsung. They are good at foundries for chips and sensors, they can sell a lot more when it is in a big brand like Nikon. Nikon has an instant mirrorless system. Maybe they will redesign the mount and they will produce an adapter for their dslr-lenses. They will probably discontinue some dslr models starting with low end consumer models.
12-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #219
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
always fancied Pentax having its own sensor fab, like Sigma's Foveon from before. If Samsung quits, this might be a good time..? but only if Ricoh's interested in having their own sensors and procs...
12-02-2015, 10:23 PM   #220
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There's not much they could teach Nikon about cameras, but there's no denying that as a chip manufacturer, their multi-core processor was a massive asset to the NX-1.

It made possible 15fps and effortlessly extracting 4k video from the sensor.
12-03-2015, 04:18 AM   #221
Pentaxian

Further rumour: Samsung are said to have a 24x36 sensor / a 24x36 system camera almost ready off the shelf.

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea Georgia:
Over the last couple of months I talked quite a few times to a Samsung representative in Düsseldorf, Germany who told me repeatedly that he has indeed seen Samsung's FF sensor at their German facility in Schwalbach, not mounted in a camera, he said, but on its own. In the early fall he was certain that Samsung was bent on giving Sony a run for their money and would enter the FF mirrorless market in the coming year, with the FF sensor ready for launch.

Then the rumors intensified and finally the news broke that Samsung was pulling out the German/European mirrorless market, much to many people's bafflement given how mighty Samsung is, and how truly excellent their latest two cams and lenses are. Even with market stagnation etc. it didn't seem to make entirely sense to simply stop the camera business. The rep and I kept talking and speculating who could team up with Samsung, Nikon or Canon, and he, as well as the photo store manager, repeatedly stated that Samsung's FF sensor exists, absolutely, they said. Whether it's the one that's going to find its way into the new Nikon mirrorless cam will be remain to be seen, but I'm pretty sure that Nikon-Samsung will go FF with mirrorless, if the rumor is correct. I hope they keep APS-C, too, because the size, weight and cost savings are very substantial, and we shall see about lens mounts and system compatibilty. I think Nikon has filed some APS-C and FF mirrorless lens patents this past year.
Source: Digital Photography Review Forum Samsung FF sensor - Re: Samsung vs Sony sensor: Nikon FX SLR (DF, D1-D4, D600-D800) Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

QuoteOriginally posted by Mirrorless Rumors:
Our very top Samsung sources confirmed they successfully developed a production ready mirrorless full frame system camera. They reported that Nikon iw very likely to use that sensor now. While the camera design may change to suite Nikon’s needs.

I can also confirm the info posted by Andrea Georgia on DPreview forum is correct.

Our Samsung sources have no knowledge of when Nikon will release the Full Frame camera. But they will soon share some details about it .

It’s also unclear if Nikon will keep the NX mount. On paper the NX mount can(!) be used with Full Frame sensors.
Source: Mirrorless Rumors Yes we can confirm: Samsung developed a ready to launch Full Frame mirrorless camera. Now owned by Nikon. - mirrorlessrumors
12-03-2015, 05:29 AM   #222
Pentaxian

The nx-mount is 42mm. m42 used to be no problem for film nor m39. Maybe when you are going to use big F1.0 1.2 lenses. But Nikon will probably want to adapt it anyway to fit better with their dslr eco-system (via adapter) so why not make it a bit wider.
12-03-2015, 05:30 AM   #223
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Samsung has issued an official denial of the sale. Reported in the British magazine Amateur Photography Official statement: Samsung denies Nikon is buying its NX camera technology (update)
12-03-2015, 05:35 AM   #224
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Samsung has issued an official denial of the sale. Reported in the British magazine Amateur Photography Official statement: Samsung denies Nikon is buying its NX camera technology (update)
(copied from the other thread)

Indeed but Samsung are used to refute rumours that are then proven true by actual events, remember Rumor busted: Samsung is *not* exiting the camera business! (At least, not the one you care about.)
12-03-2015, 05:39 AM   #225
Pentaxian

Samsung is a big company, I doubt they would inform their UK branch about such sensitive info. Anyway they are saying this :

‘Media reports that Nikon is allegedly buying our NX technology are not true.’

they are like Aes Sedai. What is allegedly doing there? They aren't allegedly buying it the are buying it for sure or they already bought it, or we are not selling nx-tech, just licensing it...

Last edited by D1N0; 12-03-2015 at 08:02 AM.