Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #151
Veteran Member

That's true. I wont argue with you there. The sony e mount looks pretty juicy. The a6000 looks very nice, but i prefer the handling of a dslr. Maybe because thats how i learned photography. And something that feels somewhat like a dslr will make the transition smoother perhaps. Sony gives you the option to full frame in a compact body and the a7 does look pretty nice. Sony is also a much more mature system and i think there is something to be said for that. I guess the reason is that well it more or less has everything i could ever want in a camera. You have the touch screen, the in body 4k, and the insane number of focus points. You can get the in body 4k and bazillion focus points in the a7rii but then you dont have the tocuh screen or the machine gun burst rate.. Not to mention it costs around 3 times as much. I thnk sony may have gone a little too small what with overheating issues. But thats just me . I also have big hands and although i havent actually held one i feel like the nx1 hits the sweet spot - smaller and less bulkier than a a dslr yet not too small. I have held an a7 in my local camera store and it felt a bit small in my hands.

Oh, and all the little jabs about how "brand x releases their camera right and doesnt need firmware updates" are amusing. Sure, they fixed a few issues, but they have also added quite a few features. Point is that the NX1 is a constantly evolving platform. Basically instead of putting out a successor 6 months later they gave you the successor for free. I mean, with a camera that can downscale 6.5k in real time what isnt possible? I mean, the bitrates probably arent as high as a red cinema camera but its pretty close. The average camera shoots 1080.. Not only is this thing capturing 6x the resolution but its also downscaling the signal in real time which is pretty crazy. I dont know, im not a a tech guy but this is my understanding of what its doing. Imagine the possibilities. They could probably do some pretty insane subject tracking.

11-12-2015, 09:06 PM   #152
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sony, Panasonic & Samsung are the innovators...i hope Sammy hangs in....
11-12-2015, 09:23 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Tilt screens have been around for awhile, but I have seen few amazing shots that aren't available to those who just use a rear LCD that doesn't tilt. Most of these shots would be just as achievable holding your camera over your head and using hyperfocal focus
Go watch jason laniers videos. He gets amazing shots with the tilt screen all the time, like in the wedding he shot at disney (on youtube.) The d600 has no tilt screen and yes, i try to just hold it over my head but its not the same. Its very hard to compose or much less even see whats in focus. The difference isnt in focusing, its actually being able to see whats in the live view. AFAIK, most cameras have been using more or less the same technology for the displays to. Not only do samsung/sony give us the awesomeness that is tilt screens, they've also started introucing better tech like amoled and super lcd that gives you much better viewing angles. Im not 100% clear on what "hyperfocal focusing is" but from what i can tell it doesnt look particularly fast and it seems like it involves manual focusing and it seems like it would be kind of hard to use the focus ring with the other hand already holding the camera over your head. What you are proposing sounds rather tedious compared to just raising camera over your head and pressing the shutter button.
11-13-2015, 02:24 AM - 1 Like   #154
Pentaxian

Could the Samsung lovers please leave this place of stupid Pentax lovers. We are obviously idiots. Go put your money where your mouth is buy the vastly superior Samsung and leave us to our misery. Maybe Samsung will retract their decision then and make an NX-2 and NX-600 and NX-50 and bring out some lenses instead of doing absolutely nothing for their customers despite the vigor the American vendor is showing.

11-13-2015, 03:50 AM   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Go watch jason laniers videos. He gets amazing shots with the tilt screen all the time, like in the wedding he shot at disney (on youtube.) The d600 has no tilt screen and yes, i try to just hold it over my head but its not the same. Its very hard to compose or much less even see whats in focus. The difference isnt in focusing, its actually being able to see whats in the live view. AFAIK, most cameras have been using more or less the same technology for the displays to. Not only do samsung/sony give us the awesomeness that is tilt screens, they've also started introucing better tech like amoled and super lcd that gives you much better viewing angles. Im not 100% clear on what "hyperfocal focusing is" but from what i can tell it doesnt look particularly fast and it seems like it involves manual focusing and it seems like it would be kind of hard to use the focus ring with the other hand already holding the camera over your head. What you are proposing sounds rather tedious compared to just raising camera over your head and pressing the shutter button.
Your hyperfocal distance is the distance at a particular focal length/aperture where everything is in focus. It works great with wide angle lenses and doesn't require auto focus at all.

I tried to watch a Jason Lanier video, but found it kind of annoying and didn't see anything that required a tilt screen to take. Be that as it may, they are handy. I do use live view on a tripod and having a tilt would make it easier to do low to the ground shots. Pentax is gradually adding tilt screens to their cameras and I am not opposed, I just don't see it as revolutionary for most still photography. As to the quality of the screens, I don't think it matters. You need something good enough you can see your focus. You aren't going to watch movies on them. In bright sun, you will be much more likely to use your viewfinder.
11-13-2015, 03:59 AM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Your hyperfocal distance is the distance at a particular focal length/aperture where everything is in focus. It works great with wide angle lenses and doesn't require auto focus at all.

I tried to watch a Jason Lanier video, but found it kind of annoying and didn't see anything that required a tilt screen to take. Be that as it may, they are handy. I do use live view on a tripod and having a tilt would make it easier to do low to the ground shots. Pentax is gradually adding tilt screens to their cameras and I am not opposed, I just don't see it as revolutionary for most still photography. As to the quality of the screens, I don't think it matters. You need something good enough you can see your focus. You aren't going to watch movies on them. In bright sun, you will be much more likely to use your viewfinder.
Or, make the rear screen touch-sensitive and use a finger to select your focus point after you have tilted the screen and are holding the camera in whatever position - could be above your head. I think the two thngs go together and I've found my Oly quite useful in this respect.
11-13-2015, 06:30 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Holding the camera above the head or from below without being able to truly compose is different. It can be fun, it can lead to great results (even if a bit unexpected... which I do like), but it's simply different.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But the real question is why you would choose a Samsung mirrorless over any of the other mirrorless options out there. Sony in particular has a number of nice APS-C mirrorless and also the option to go full frame for much more reasonable prices than Samsung offers. It's no wonder they have struggled to make sales targets.
Because of ergonomics, for one. The NX1 is a proper camera. You may argue why not a DSLR then, and that's a valid point, but otherwise I do think it plays in a different league, which Panasonic kind of covers with the GH5 for example, but there are few cameras in this area, and they are typically very expensive.

The NX1 is also a beast, in terms of performance. It IS a tempting camera. Lack of in body SR bothers me though.

11-13-2015, 06:49 AM   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Holding the camera above the head or from below without being able to truly compose is different. It can be fun, it can lead to great results (even if a bit unexpected... which I do like), but it's simply different.

Because of ergonomics, for one. The NX1 is a proper camera. You may argue why not a DSLR then, and that's a valid point, but otherwise I do think it plays in a different league, which Panasonic kind of covers with the GH5 for example, but there are few cameras in this area, and they are typically very expensive.

The NX1 is also a beast, in terms of performance. It IS a tempting camera. Lack of in body SR bothers me though.
I think on one hand you have ergonomics, which is a very personal thing. On the other, you have a more complete line up of camera bodies to move into in Sony, if you want to upgrade. And price-wise, Samsung has probably hurt themselves by pricing themselves way over comparable cameras from other brands.

The big niche I see Samsung hitting was from the video standpoint and it feels like that while it is talked a lot about, but I think it doesn't sell loads of cameras. If you don't care about video and want good ergonomics then SLRs are probably as good an option as any thing else out there.
11-13-2015, 02:10 PM   #159
Veteran Member

I shot pentax for two years at school. I started out on an istds or whatever it was called and then went on to shoot a k10 and a k20. Ive been shooting nikon for the past year. I dont own any samsung gear so i dont know if i could be called a samsung lover. A prospective suitor maybe.

QuoteQuote:
Because as i understand it this is a relic from the film days before the introduction of autofocus? Us "samsung lovers" are only trying to argue that there might be something to be said for modern technology. Not only does this seem impractical (ive attempted to do this a couple times with my d600 and could barely see what was on the screen much less what was in focus.) At the least it would slow you down enormously. There is a reason why autofocus was invented. Ive tried to just hold my camera over my head but aside f

http://fujilove.com/alternative-angles-the-benefits-of-a-tilting-lcd/.
11-13-2015, 02:20 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
this is a relic from the film days before the introduction of autofocus?
These 'relics' are just simple physics that any experienced photographer, whether film or digital, should know.
11-13-2015, 02:22 PM   #161
Pentaxian

I shot pentax for two years at school. I started out on an istds or whatever it was called and then went on to shoot a k10 and a k20. Ive been shooting nikon for the past year. I dont own any samsung gear so i dont know if i could be called a samsung lover. A prospective suitor maybe.

Because as i understand it this is a relic from the film days before the introduction of autofocus? Us "samsung lovers" are only trying to argue that there might be something to be said for modern technology. Not only does this seem impractical (ive attempted to do this a couple times with my d600 and could barely see what was on the screen much less what was in focus.) At the least it would slow you down enormously. There is a reason why autofocus was invented. Ive tried to just hold my camera over my head but aside f

Alternative angles: the benefits of a tilting LCD – FUJI LOVE.
It's a 'relic' that can save your shot when you have limited light yet want maximum DOF but need to shoot with a large aperture. So it certainly has its uses.
11-13-2015, 10:32 PM   #162
Pentaxian

DINO, .....you are in the section that caters for NON pentax, and specifically a Sammy thread....I shoot with 7 different Sammys and 4 film Pentaxs and K50,brick,Q Q7 Q10....isn't there enough Pentax threads to keep you amused you ? ? ?....instead of being a "stupid Pentax lover" Y don't you become a SMART Pentax lover and comment on the Pentax lovers threads, there are a few of them on here!

PS, that 4k video sure is GOOD!
11-14-2015, 03:45 AM   #163
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alternative angles: the benefits of a tilting LCD – FUJI LOVE.
It is hard for me to believe you are serious. Hyperfocal distance is not a "relic of film days." It is still very useful, particularly , as I said with wide angle lenses. Set your distance scale to 3 feet on your 15mm lens and your aperture to f8 and you are set. It isn't rocket science and it has nothing to do with film versus digital.
11-14-2015, 04:09 AM   #164
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
DINO, .....you are in the section that caters for NON pentax, and specifically a Sammy thread....I shoot with 7 different Sammys and 4 film Pentaxs and K50,brick,Q Q7 Q10....isn't there enough Pentax threads to keep you amused you ? ? ?....instead of being a "stupid Pentax lover" Y don't you become a SMART Pentax lover and comment on the Pentax lovers threads, there are a few of them on here!

I suggest you start a thread "the magnificent glory of the superior Samsung" then, as the topic of this thread is Samsung axing their camera division, not their cameras.

Last edited by D1N0; 11-14-2015 at 04:28 AM.
11-14-2015, 04:15 AM   #165
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote

I don't think anyone wants to see Samsung leave the camera business, at least I don't. Having more brands with more options is better for everyone. But it really seems to me that Samsung hasn't been able to carve out a niche that is distinct from other, more established brands. 4K video certainly isn't something that is unique to them. Both Panasonic and Sony have cameras that do this as well, I believe.