Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2016, 02:37 PM   #286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Sammys interest in photography still exist in the phone lines which, from what I read just now is HIGHLY profitable
They are interested in volume sales. Camera's can sell phones. Samsung isn't really interested in any product. They are interested in market power. What is in any house? A TV a fridge a vacuum cleaner a washing machine an oven a stove a phone. That's what they make. ILC's aren't in many houses. So they lost interest once the compact market collapsed.

03-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #287
Veteran Member

Phones aren't going to stay very profitable. Chinese brands use the same hardware than established players, but with better software (less crapware), and sell it at a much lower price point. It doesn't take that much to make a good phone, and mid range is easily good enough for most people, soon even entry level phones will be good enough.

The NX1 and NX500 got hacked recently, and can now do more than even Samsung wants them to. Maybe it'd be a good idea to get a Samsung, use it for a couple of years... support or not, if the price is low enough it may still be worth it.
03-15-2016, 11:19 AM   #288
Pentaxian

A K3 II is still cheaper and would fit my needs better.
05-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #289
Pentaxian

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/

I wonder if this person is onto something?

05-08-2016, 06:15 PM   #290
Veteran Member

This place always amuses me. Never fails.

The NX line was built on the NX1, which is not a compact as was suggested. I don't know why anyone would think that the ilc or compact market was collapsing. Every girl in a club has a compact camera. There is a huge market for them in the casual shooter who just wants to you know take pictures of their drunk friends or something. Photographers aren't the only camera market and this is especially true for samsung with you know a certain phone that is only second to the iphone. The NX1 is one of the most amazing cameras to date, combing the best of mirrorless with a dslr. There is a hack floating around that lets you shoot in 230mb/s. Now, whether there is actually a point to this what with h265 saving you the space I dont know, but this is something previously only you could do on a cinema camera. It's an immensely powerful camera a tour de force for Samsung's first effort basically.

The more plausible reason for the disappearance of the nx lineup was the fact that the chairman of Samsung has actually recently passed away and his children are reportedly selling off/reorganzing various departments for tax purposes.
05-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #291
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
This place always amuses me. Never fails.

The more plausible reason for the disappearance of the nx lineup .

Wait.

*We* told you the NX lineup was disappearing, you and Osv kept denying it.

So, are you actually buying one or not?
05-08-2016, 08:45 PM   #292
Veteran Member

Well it's not 100% dead anyway. Lenses and firmware are still available and no official word from samsung which leaves the slight possibility that there may be a future for the NX lineup. \

As I see it the biggest downside of a mirrorless system is the lens lineup. Samsung got a bad rep for the limited lens lineup but sony's doesn't seem to be much bigger, possibly because they are focused on putting out a new e mount ff camera every other week. Sony does have the benefit of having a bunch of lens adapting options as part of their ecosystem, but my concern is that on such a small body things are gonna be very front heavy. After using an slr for 3 years It's gonna be strange to leave behind the wealth of physical controls. I love being able to easily switch from continuous to single at a moments notice on my nikon.

So, yeah, the NX1 is rapidly becoming a dodo bird, but im gonna try and score one soon.

05-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #293
Pentaxian

Amazingly,even with the negative publicity,the prices are still holding up.Doesn't seem to be many NX1s new or used in Oztralia,plenty of new 500s on ebay though.
Sony beats most systems with the techart pro adapters turning LOTS of oldlenses into AF capable,as well as the EF to emount AF adapters,not sure if the Nikon AF adapters available yet,but if its not,its around the corner.The native FE lenses cost a lot(along with the body price),too much for me.
05-09-2016, 01:48 AM   #294
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
As I see it the biggest downside of a mirrorless system is the lens lineup. Samsung got a bad rep for the limited lens lineup but sony's doesn't seem to be much bigger)
Do you remember writing this?

"Cant wait to trade in my aging dslr for some nx1 goodness. Samsungs lens line up is actually pretty decent."
05-09-2016, 01:58 AM   #295
Pentaxian

Well lenses aRe pretty decent but there isn't enough of them.No teleconverter and nothing over 200mm.However the 2.4crop in video with the ability to take reasonable jpgs from the video works well for the NX500.Sammy had a go but I think they expected instant returns as opposed to hanging in for the long haul!
05-09-2016, 02:44 AM   #296
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem is that if Samsung abandons it then it just becomes another orphan mount. Sure, you can continue to mount lenses with an adapter, but in two or three years it will totally be passed up by the new gear on the market. It feels like a dead end at this point that Samsung has decide is a waste of money. They haven't even sold the tech off to anyone else.
05-09-2016, 06:38 AM   #297
Pentaxian

Since the full frame nx-mount for Nikon story mirrorless rumours has lost all of it's credibility. I think Samsung just didn't see enough growth and volume in de ilc market so they axed the division. They want to focus on smart phone photography.
05-09-2016, 07:05 AM   #298
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ILC Return on Equity averages 8%. These days business want to sell any division that returns less than 20% on equity and let the buyer improve the return.

Or just exit the business and use the tax write-off if there isn't a ready buyer.
05-09-2016, 08:37 AM   #299
osv
Veteran Member

you mean this? mirrorlessrumors DOT com/interesting-and-wild-speculation-samsung-stopped-nx-sales-because-of-patent-infringement/

some moron posts unsubstantiated idle speculation on a forum, and another moron repeats it in a blog: "If this post does not prompt an Official Announcement from Samsung regarding their NX camera line my opinion is that everyone should jump the Samsung ship."

why would samsung care what he said? and if samsung is already quitting the camera biz, what good would it do for camera owners to "jump the samsung ship"? selling gear that they already own is going to what, teach samsung a lesson, lol
05-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #300
Pentaxian

SO, is the NX dead?

New firmware was available a few days ago for NX1 and NX500.Samsungs sending the doomed tag back to Pentax.