Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Samsung Getting out of the ILC Business?

Is Samsung shutting down their camera business? | Photo Rumors

09-18-2015, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

That was quick. The NX series of ILC's was only launched in 2010.

Maybe now they will re-partner with Pentax, share technology etc. That would be very interesting.
09-18-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sony or Panasonic could be next.
09-19-2015, 03:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That would be too bad. The marketplace is pretty crowded right now, but there is always room for innovators.

Bigger question to me is what happens to the Samsung sensor division. Surely they would continue to work on tech and just recruit other companies to use their sensors over Sony/Toshiba products. A waste if they just let their R and D and fabs go.

09-19-2015, 04:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's surprising, as it seems Samsung cameras just recently became really interesting. Oh well, one less rival for Pentax
09-19-2015, 04:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Samsung use millions of sensors for their phones and tablets
09-19-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Strange, but that's both hard to believe (Samsung wants to expand their electronics markets), and easy to understand (Samsung has accountants, too). Thing is, it seems awfully schizophrenic after the work invested in the NX line (which is finally pushing the big makers, not in unit sales, but in tech), and coming from a company that doesn't usually make capricious short-term decisions.

09-19-2015, 07:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

So why have the NX cameras, given the popular clamour for mirrorless, blistering frames per second and connectivity innovations, not been selling a lot more? Are they not good value?

Or is it that the bodies are fine but the system around them is lacking ... ?
09-19-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
So why have the NX cameras, given the popular clamour for mirrorless, blistering frames per second and connectivity innovations, not been selling a lot more? Are they not good value?

Or is it that the bodies are fine but the system around them is lacking ... ?
The NX-1 is an excellent camera that hits all the technical buttons. Engineers and IT types will probably love it. Photography is about passion and connection, and Samsung products are pretty cold. Look a Fuji. The X-mount line is quirky, a little slow to work with and the RAW files can be a little more challenging but people love the system and its doing very well. The NX-1 is a much better device than the X-T1. The NX-1 does just about everything better and faster, but the XT-1 is a more popular camera by far.

Sony has had the same problem for years. They are a consumer electronics giant that makes disposable electronics and that is not what photographers have wanted. Sony has had a lot of growing pains learning what photographers actually want. Sony still isn't there, but they have come a long way.
09-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
osv
Veteran Member

i wouldn't read too much into the discounted price on the nx1, if the camera wasn't selling well it would have been discounted months ago... $1300 for a mirrorless crop camera is still too much money, even if it does 4k, so someone must be buying it.
09-19-2015, 09:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I bet Samsung is going to focus on components, sensors en processors. They went to a lot of trouble though developing the NX-1. Maybe it was a show case model for their technology.
09-19-2015, 06:50 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The NX-1 body in my region is priced higher than FF's like the Nikon D610 or Canon 6D. And the f2.8 Samsung zooms are very pricey, which makes a basic kit (NX-1 plus 16-50 f2-2.8) very expensive for an APS-C.

NX500 seems better bang for buck, but then the Sony A6000 comes at about the same price with a built-in EVF, pretty good AF and video, and more lens options. Samsung are in a real squeeze, with no easy way to break out.
09-21-2015, 04:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Yet another red flag. New Samyang mirrorless lenses 50mm 1.2 and 21mm 1.4 not brought out in NX-mount. Rokinon 50mm f/1.2 and 21mm f/1.4 mirrorless lenses announced | Photo Rumors
09-21-2015, 06:32 AM   #14
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

What Fuji took advantage of that others have not, is that they make "Good Looking" cameras in their X-line. They look like real cameras, retro and yet modern in their function.
It's like great cars that are ugly, they function well, but don't sell well.

When I pick up my little Toy Cameras X10/X20 and feel their solid build and view their handsome good looks, it makes me want to use them more. Not to mention, they are capable and have some very nice and unique features......like a real OVF that works great in the brightest of sunlight.

Yep, if it looks great, functions well, and feels like real metal...because it is....it will sell! Too bad Samsung never got the message Fuji sent! If they had, they would still be going strong. Anyhow, that's my view and I'm stickin' with it!

Regards!
09-21-2015, 10:26 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If this is true, I think Ricoh should purchase the NX line, rebadge the NX500 and NX1 (with perhaps a cosmetic redesign) as Ricoh products and keep developing the line with Samsung as a technology partner (processor, sensor, even lenses). There's a lot of great tech there, and the 16-50mm and 50-150mm could be ported to k-mount to replace their SDM equivalents in the Pentax line-up. The 28MP Samsung sensor (and associated processor) could go into the next k-mount APS-C flagship. The FF could have a larger version of that same sensor... Ricoh would then have both a credible short-register mirrorless system (NX) as well as an infusion of great tech into their Pentax k-mount line-up. Probably won't happen, but one can always dream, right?