Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You guys are hilarious!!
I have only owned a ff camera for a week and for wildlife I do find if I can get close it has its advantages over 1.5 cropped censor.

Last edited by dane.dawg; 11-08-2015 at 07:17 PM.
11-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
You guys are hilarious!!
We aim to entertain....
11-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #108
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

It's been a little rough in this thread.....reckon it's safe for squirrels to come back out and peek around? Has everyone checked their pellet guns at the door?

Regards!
11-09-2015, 08:34 AM   #109
Pentaxian

You guys are hilarious!!
I have only owned a ff camera for a week and for wildlife I do find if I can get close it has its advantages over 1.5 cropped censor.
You did that on purpose didn't you?

I've only owned an APS-c camera for 10 years, and I find if i can get closer it has advantages, even using APS-c over an APS-c from further away, So, I'm not clear on what you're saying.

11-09-2015, 08:45 AM   #110
Veteran Member

I have only owned a ff camera for a week and for wildlife I do find if I can get close it has its advantages
Gators and Big Crocs are going to love you! Grizzlies too!

Regards!
11-09-2015, 09:05 AM   #111
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Gators and Big Crocs are going to love you! Grizzlies too!

Regards!
Nothing like that where I live....

From 15 feet away... I'm sure it would look better if I'd only had a full frame.
11-09-2015, 04:35 PM   #112
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
From 15 feet away...
Whether it's a big bear or an angry squirrel we have an unfair advantage Norm......ugly as we are, they are more afraid of us than we are of them.

Regards!

11-09-2015, 06:46 PM   #113
Pentaxian

Whether it's a big bear or an angry squirrel we have an unfair advantage Norm......ugly as we are, they are more afraid of us than we are of them.

Regards!
This was just a little guy, a little bigger than my dog. Ok, probably 120 pounds but still, not very big.
11-09-2015, 07:04 PM   #114
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been that close to black bears more than once in the years I was in Alaska. It's reasonably safe. Nothing is assured, of course, but for someone who lives in, and knows that environment it's not reckless to get that close.
I envy you, Norm.
11-09-2015, 07:24 PM   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I've been that close to black bears more than once in the years I was in Alaska. It's reasonably safe. Nothing is assured, of course, but for someone who lives in, and knows that environment it's not reckless to get that close.
I envy you, Norm.
Honestly, that was my first black bear I've seen in the park. My other images were taken up at the dump. So, don't envy me too much. Tess and I went back the next day and we saw nothing. After 35 years spending at least 2 weeks a year in the park and often as much as 40 days a summer in wilderness, I was owed.
11-09-2015, 08:41 PM   #116
Veteran Member

Honestly, that was my first black bear I've seen in the park.
There must be a misconception by many like me way down here in the far Southwest that anywhere north of the Canadian border bears are just everywhere? I've always thought of it that way....so I've been wrong?
I know people think of Texas as covered with oil wells, and lately, with all the drilling in the last few years that assumption is more correct than not...but it hasn't always been that way.

I'd like to take a visit up your way Norm, and though unlikely, it is something still on my list of things I'd like to do and see. The shots in your area are gorgeous......of course it would have to be in the summer months for me!

Regards!
11-10-2015, 06:40 AM   #117
Pentaxian

There must be a misconception by many like me way down here in the far Southwest that anywhere north of the Canadian border bears are just everywhere? I've always thought of it that way....so I've been wrong?
Bears are everywhere. But you have to remember, a bear may cover 40km a day foraging ( marathon for us.), and each bear protects his own territory. As well, they hear and smell us coming and stay out of sight. Where I live, is heavily hunted. A portion of the 10 million people who live in the greater Toronto area, this is the closest place they can hunt bear, so they come up here in droves. We see bear scat all the time, we see their footprints, occasionally we see then in our yard. But a guy illegally set up a baiting station a mile from our house and 6 bears were shot there. With the wolves and bears, we rarely see them, but we see their scat and track, so we know they are there and they know we are here, they time their walks so they don't bump into us when we are on ours. But to my mind, bringing people from out of the area to shoot the animals that frequent our back yard is criminal. If the locals hunt them for food that's one thing, they've done that for hundreds of years, but guys who drive hundreds of mile just to shoot stuff, that's something else.
11-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #118
Veteran Member

But to my mind, bringing people from out of the area to shoot the animals that frequent our back yard is criminal. If the locals hunt them for food that's one thing, they've done that for hundreds of years, but guys who drive hundreds of mile just to shoot stuff, that's something else.
I agree completely. I could get carried away on this subject ...but won't. Thanks for the informative education on the bears in your area. I will view them in a different manner now. They seem to be a lot like other wild animals.......which is not surprising, I should have known that. I can open the door and go into the back yard and there are squirrels everywhere.........yet if Mrs Rupert steps outside, there won't be a squirrel in sight. Animals learn quickly.

I didn't know about the wolves in your area? Ever get a shot of one? They are probably more elusive than the bears?

Regards!
11-10-2015, 07:10 AM   #119
Pentaxian

I didn't know about the wolves in your area? Ever get a shot of one? They are probably more elusive than the bears?
We see their back ends disappearing into the bush sometimes, and we know there are 7 in the pack because we see their tracks from time to time, but not close enough to get a picture. We had one real opportunity, one was back among some trees, Tripper stopped and pointed his nose at him in his border collie crouch, maybe 30 yards from us. He stared at us, we stared at him, then he moved off, of course, we didn't have a camera that day. The bears and foxes will walk right through our yard, the wolves never come closer than about 50 meters. They do walk on the trails we make though. That is usually when we see them.

We can tell when they're close because the dogs stay so close to us we trip on them.

Last edited by normhead; 11-10-2015 at 07:22 AM.
11-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #120
Veteran Member

We see their back ends disappearing into the bush sometimes, and we know there are 7 in the pack
That's an exciting area where you live Norm, I think I'd really like the wildlife there. I enjoy the wildlife here, the squirrels, possums, armadillos, and raccoons, but they are hardly wild when they line up at the back door for dinner!

Regards!
Closed Thread