Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2015, 04:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh XR-1 SLR

I came into possession of one of these recently, as part of a grab-bag of lenses, filters, flash etc. and I thought "Oh God, do I really need another film body?" But since Ricoh was a distant cousin of Pentax back in the day (K mount club, along with Chinon), I thought why not give it a look?

From what I have been able to glean so far (and PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong), this was Ricoh's first K-mount SLR and was released in 1977. It has the usual (for the era) B to 1/1000 on the shutter speed dial. It has DOF preview, an aperture preview window, and even a dedicated multi-exposure button located on the back of the camera near the winder. The meter is activated by flipping out the advance lever to the standby position, so no left-eye shooters need apply, but given the K1000's tendency to run dry if the lens cap was left off, this was probably a reaction to that (and it was not the only camera to commit that sin).

Metering is match-needle, with a prominent green bar pointing to the shutter speed selected and a black needle pointing to the desired shutter speed (according to what's been set on the aperture).

Focusing is via a diagonal split screen, which is excellent to look through, especially when you have a very fast normal lens on the camera.

The ASA selection caters for 12 to 3200. It is double marked in ASA and DIN, and rotation requires the pushing down of a small locking button near the dial.

The shutter speed knob is a bit difficult to reach with the free fingers of the right hand, which tend to find their way first to the battery test switch that forms the collar for the shutter button.

There is an X-sync hot shoe and a separate X sync port, and the X-sync speed is marked in red on the selector knob: 1/125 sec.

The DOF preview switch is located at the top right of the lens housing rather than the bottom right where it is on Pentax SLRs, and is a push-in button rather than a lever. The housing around it offers a place to rest a finger, which - while it's by no means an ergonomic moulded grip - does (perhaps intentionally, perhaps not) provide a bit more purchase and the sensation of a firmer grip on the camera than (for example) my Spotmatic.

I've got a film ready for it and I'm going to give it a spin. Anyone else who's got any information about this camera or knows any tricks of the trade is welcome to chime in!

It makes you wonder what would have happened if history had turned out differently and Ricoh had still been making SLRs in their own name today (I believe they stopped in the late 1990s). What would the Ricoh D-XR1 have been like?

10-14-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
It makes you wonder what would have happened if history had turned out differently and Ricoh had still been making SLRs in their own name today (I believe they stopped in the late 1990s). What would the Ricoh D-XR1 have been like?
The XRX was tha last one they made, I think, and was an exceptionally well specified manual focus SLR. I have one and must try putting a film through it some time.
10-31-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I consider the Ricoh XR-1 the "poor man's Pentax KX" with its similar feature set.
The XR-1s added winder capability. I own the identical Sears KS1000.

The Ricoh XR-2 has an electronic shutter with aperture-preferred AE capability.
The XR-2s added winder capability. The Sears KS auto is the same camera.

Chris
10-31-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I bought a XR2s years ago when they were brand new. Still have it, along with the winder. Very solid and well featured camera. Only one thing ever went wrong, and it was of no consequence - the viewfinder eyepiece blind lever got stuck and wouldn't shut the blind. Not a bad result, considering all the 4WD and other adventures that camera endured.

11-19-2015, 01:54 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the Ricoh KR-10, it seems similar to the model you describe. I don't shoot film any more tho.