Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
10-16-2015, 06:04 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
Norm, there is room for lots of threads. You CAN be an obnoxious as anyone else. What are you complaining about? Why are you commenting? I think Pentax needs to be spanked regularly until it releases a decent full frame camera. You can disagree with that if you like. Have you tried meditation?
If you start a poorly thought out thread with a bogus title you should expect criticism. If you can't handle it, and I notice, the more pointed criticism I've made of Sony have not been addressed at all, then don't post. If you have the right to post nonsense, people have the right to respond. Get used to it.

So, I'll try again, when is Sony going to catch up to the rest of the world, creating a lens mount that continues with it's original functionality on every camera, and stop releasing lenses that need in camera correction to be worth anything at all, when they know 5 years from now they aren't going to be making cameras that support those corrections, based on previous experience. When is Sony going to release a product, and guarantee they'll still be supporting it 30 years from now. Pentax and Nikon have a track record of doing just that. Sony has a track record of making something new, then not supporting it. So, when are you going to ask Sony to "catch up" with everyone else. Why is your nonsense always directed at Pentax?

The fact that there can be multiple threads about multiple topics in no way implies anyone gets a free ride to spout unchallenged propaganda.

If there is one over-riding theme to the non-Pentax forum... it's that they lack the critical evaluations you see of other brands on their forums. People here come in and glow about their Nikon D750 or Sony A7r or whatever. They hold up other companies as an ideal, other companies that don't do somethings as well as Pentax does. With all due respect, that's hogwash. Go on the other camera discussions and every company has it's disgruntled users, those threatening to leave the brand, those who did just leave the brand, and those who can't seem to get their particular needs met by any given manufacturer. There is no camera heaven where everything is peachy keen all the time. This section of the forum out to be cancelled. Most of it is thinly veiled criticisms of Pentaax and gushing newbies convinced they have one up on Pentax users because they bought some other camera, think and are now in a position to lead Pentax users to the promised land.

Call it the jsherman effect.

Last edited by normhead; 10-16-2015 at 06:21 AM.
10-16-2015, 07:47 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I'm sure you are right but I don't see the body as the challenge. It's so clear the camera body has to be up with the competition that if Ricoh produce one that isn't then they will have completely blown it. This is highly unlikely. Much more important are lenses, flash and autofocus performance. Without those three, you don't have a system to offer to more than a few wealthy amateurs who perhaps already have a shelf of legacy glass. And you certainly aren't giving a professional user any reason to buy your products. My feeling is that looking too closely at the camera body is looking at the wrong thing.

The new Sony pocket rocket sounds amazing but I have absolutely no use for something like that even if I could afford one. No doubt quite a few wealthy people will buy one, but there is an element of "We're doing it just because we can not because it's a great idea" - i.e., gadgetry - about the whole thing.
It is all a challenge. The only "easy" part is the sensor. Whether you are talking about video, high frame rates and the buffer necessary to deal with this massive amount of data, professional level auto focus, lens creation, or the little details like astro tracer that Pentax hopes to up scale to work in a Pentax full frame, it all requires levels of effort that Pentax has not had to produce before.

People have the impression that you just release a mediocre camera with a top notch, full frame sensor and it will fly off shelves. That isn't going to happen unless the whole package is there.
10-16-2015, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #48
Veteran Member

"the PENTAX fanboyism is strong in this thread." -- yoda.

Thanks SONY for pushing FF as the norm.
The truth is, when high end FF become 'affordable' (price like current APSC, which some already did), no one will argue the 'benefit' of APSC anymore.
10-16-2015, 08:33 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Its time to calm down the rhetoric a bit. All manufacturers have pros and cons to their designs. I've seen some excellent photos from smart phones, and if that can be done, any of the camera mfr can produce great images as well.

If both Sony and Pentax were to close their doors tomorrow, then i'll buy an XYZ camera and use that.

10-16-2015, 09:47 AM   #50
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Go on the other camera discussions and every company has it's disgruntled users, those threatening to leave the brand, those who did just leave the brand, and those who can't seem to get their particular needs met by any given manufacturer.
That reminds me....Does anyone know if that "Jumper" ever jumped the other day? There are so many it is hard for me to keep up with them. Otis had a crew standing by to get some shots when he went "splat" but they got tired of waiting. Seems most just want the attention but are scardy cats when it comes to the actual jump?

I was on the riverbank fishing one day many years ago when I was a young guy. There were two old guys a short distance away also fishing and I was listening as they conversed.

One said to the other..."Fred, I've been married 7 times and married the same woman every time." " They all had different names and looked different, but every one was the same."

Looked to me like old Fred was the same? I see a lot old Freds in the camera world.....it's never them, it is their poor performing camera!

Regards!

BTW- If anyone gets shots of the Jumper going splat, please send them to Otis. He loves to illustrate the bedtime stories he reads to the little blind orphan squirrels.
10-16-2015, 12:35 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
"the PENTAX fanboyism is strong in this thread." -- yoda.

Thanks SONY for pushing FF as the norm.
The truth is, when high end FF become 'affordable' (price like current APSC, which some already did), no one will argue the 'benefit' of APSC anymore.
The point is not that Sony doesn't make cameras that are technological marvels, it is that this particular camera doesn't particularly fit a need that most photographers have and is super-expensive to boot. I have never been someone who said "if it isn't for me, it isn't for anyone," although there are many like on the forum, but this camera feels like a super-niche product that doesn't demonstrate what the OP said. If it is true that Pentax is "falling farther and farther behind," because they don't have a fixed lens full frame camera then so are Nikon and Canon and Olympus and Panasonic as well.

Wait, is there anyone left...?

I think the zombies are coming......
10-16-2015, 01:30 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Plus, the idea that Pentax is falling farther behind because Sony updated two existing products is pure trollery.

10-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
That reminds me....Does anyone know if that "Jumper" ever jumped the other day? There are so many it is hard for me to keep up with them. Otis had a crew standing by to get some shots when he went "splat" but they got tired of waiting. Seems most just want the attention but are scardy cats when it comes to the actual jump?

I was on the riverbank fishing one day many years ago when I was a young guy. There were two old guys a short distance away also fishing and I was listening as they conversed.

One said to the other..."Fred, I've been married 7 times and married the same woman every time." " They all had different names and looked different, but every one was the same."

Looked to me like old Fred was the same? I see a lot old Freds in the camera world.....it's never them, it is their poor performing camera!

Regards!

BTW- If anyone gets shots of the Jumper going splat, please send them to Otis. He loves to illustrate the bedtime stories he reads to the little blind orphan squirrels.
Brands go up and down, and sometimes swapping around helps to keep things fresh. Don't take precautions; take risks. A collapsed old rabbit munching on a limp cabbage because he just will not move on to a new patch is more likely to end up in the pot than a nimble nibbler. Even so, there's no need to blow 3000 bucks on that hot new pocket carrot - "a marvel of miniaturised carbohydration" in the words of Digital Rabbit Food Review - that will likely prove rather tasteless and withered in 2-3 years' time

Last edited by mecrox; 10-16-2015 at 01:45 PM.
10-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #54
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by januko Quote
here are my honest thoughts:

"What Pentax has been doing?!"
"Pentax could have just slapped a 24 or 36mp FF sensor in a K-3 and be done with it! It would still be a great camera."
"Pentax FF camera could be pushed even farther. I am wondering what they are thinking right now. "
I am thinking that you have too little information to be thinking that you are thinking.

QuoteOriginally posted by januko Quote
Oh! I think @stevebrot is just joking.
Now your're thinking.

Steve
10-16-2015, 06:14 PM   #55
Pentaxian

OMG, almost $3300 for that camera?
I'm wondering what the exact target group they have in mind.
10-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I see. So you really don't know what it's like.
Well, have you ever used a 1600F?
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I converted my Pentax 6x7 to also have a waist level finder as well. It is a useful interface that my not be optimal for all conditions but does have some advantages over a prism like all things there is a give-and-take.
Ironic, given your earlier "like a phone camera" comment about a screen on the RX1R

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/305...ml#post3401141
10-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Well, have you ever used a 1600F?

Ironic, given your earlier "like a phone camera" comment about a screen on the RX1R

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/76-non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/305...ml#post3401141
No, I have a 500C/M. But I actively shoot medium format cameras that have a rangefinder, waist level finder and prism. I guess that just leaves an EVF which film cameras don't have but one of my mirrorless cameras did. So I think I can mentally extrapolate what it looks like through a Hasselblad 1600F's waist level finder.

My comment about the phone camera was inferring the hard to see screen in sun/glare. Somehow that turned into a comparison with a waist level finder that typically does not have that problem.
10-18-2015, 03:11 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I would argue that pentax has been pretty far behind ever since the A7 series made its debut. They have nailed both stills and video where pentax is struggling on the video side of things. I would sort of argue that everyone has fallen behind the big mirrorless players at the moment. They are reinventing the wheel. Fast flash sync used to cost as much as a a car but panasonic gives it to us for under $1000 in the fz1000. Pentax really needs to modernize too. it was said before here but these days its not enough to just be a good camera. You have to have an ecosystem that can connect up with other things like your tv. The NX1 can stream 4k video to your tv wirelessly and this is pretty damn awesome

Last edited by neostyles; 10-18-2015 at 03:29 PM.
10-18-2015, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
I would argue that pentax has been pretty far behind ever since the A7 series made its debut.
Do what? That's like saying oranges have fallen out of favor since the invention of the apple slicer. Seriously, oranges and apples have some things in common.....you can eat them both. It pretty much ends there....If oranges hadn't gone extinct we could make more comparisons.

Regards!
10-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
The NX1 can stream 4k video to your tv wirelessly and this is pretty damn awesome
Have you ever considered you have a very low 'awe' level?
Closed Thread