Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2015, 05:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
not seeing pentax standards like ibis nor pixel shift technology with this sony, either.

also no 4k? not that pentax ever had 4k, but sony is giving up some things with this model.
Sony's mantra since they started the Nex models seems to have been "smaller and lighter". I think they did this betting that many in the photography population would buy them in preference to existing Canikon weight and size standards. And they have. They probably threw out the IBIS for this model because they couldn't figure out how to put full frame IBIS in a P&S size body. No matter whether you love or hate Sony designs - i think one has to admit they've been single minded in their long term goals and short term objectives.

I've had my A7rII for over 2 weeks and just last night finally figured out how to do continuous multiple bracketing. Manual is worthless as most are. But the comment above about ergonomics, IMO, is true. Not as good ergonomics as Pentax for sure.

10-14-2015, 06:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
As opposed to craning your neck down into a real camera like one of these?
Have you ever owned one of those? I got one and still shoot it and that is an over exaggeration of the experience.
10-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yawn... more info passed on right from some one's marketing department.
10-14-2015, 06:13 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just saw the B&H e-mail for the Sony RX1.....I could not understand why it's worth over $3000.....

10-14-2015, 06:14 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Doomed! So far behind Pentax is doomed!

Steve
10-14-2015, 07:11 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DennisH Quote
It has a cool pop-up evf, just like their "affordable" $900 p&s.
That's good to know. I'd think they would be a little off for that price to not give you a view finder option of some sort.
10-14-2015, 08:18 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This camera is not that great a deal.
I don't see why its considered a winner.
Maybe that selectable AA filter part is new, but Pentax has got SR AA simulation.
Nikon however did present this type of AA filter solution before but they have not delivered till now.
So may be they should be ashamed...

As for this RX1RII.

42mp for a street camera - does not make sense.
The genre does not necessarily work well for 42mp, given the lack of control of the situation (movement blur, not the best light, subject movement, seldom presented in very large formats that need so high MP)
Shoot shallow DOF to make use of that fast Zeiss 35/2, and 42mp is moot.

For Landscape, its really 35mm in which perhaps a 24mm or 28mm will be better, though it all depends on where one stays and what type of landscape one does.
Cityscape folks, will typically find it too tight a FOV given more restrictions on the vantage points they can shoot from for example.
Add to this, most 35mm are very competent stopped down to f5.6, f8, which takes away some of the advantage of the RX1RII 35/2 lens.

There are many very fast and very competent 35mm lenses out there.
Even just bringing out a Voigtlander 35/1.4 for isolation and a FE35/2.8 for everything else is a cheaper option, faster and very good IQ wise (or a Loxia 35/1.4 or the Zeiss 35/1.4)

An A7RII with a 35mm of choice is more versatile in the end, given the price since it can also add/reduce the number of lenses being taken out.

Lastly, the lens may be top notch and is part of the reason why the camera is expensive.
But that to me is the weak link too, because when the electronics die, the lens goes into the bin too.

Last edited by pinholecam; 10-15-2015 at 01:35 AM.
10-15-2015, 03:26 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess the point of the thread title was to be inflammatory?

Honestly, I wonder how big the market is for a 3300 dollar fixed lens camera. I would think if you were going to spend that much money on a camera, you would choose an ILC where you could change your lens depending on the situation. I guess the big thing here is that it is small, but includes an EVF and a lot of processing power. Fine, but nothing I would describe as leaving Pentax in the dust. It doesn't even look like it includes 4K video, which seems to be the hot thing right now. I imagine there are heat issues with the sensor in such a tiny space, but still...

I think Pentax is fine and still focused on traditional SLR markets, which actually still have the dominant market share despite mirrorless in-roads. Someday, things will probably shift, but I think there is still a good market for high quality, SLRs with good ergonomics.
10-15-2015, 05:10 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess the point of the thread title was to be inflammatory?
Do you really have to guess?
10-15-2015, 05:16 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Do you really have to guess?
No kidding, you didn't know this guy has been suspended for being a Sony shill? I think he's working on a permanent ban.
10-15-2015, 05:18 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
you didn't know this guy has been suspended for being a Sony shill?
Well the original Sony shills are enjoying a healthy population increase on these forums recently, we know they never get a permanent ban. So we can expect this one to be a fixture in the times ahead.
10-15-2015, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

If Sony is so great, why don't they have their own forum?

Being old and retired I'm thinking I should start monitoring Sony press releases and explaining why they aren't as good as Pentanes, every time they release a product.

" Sony releases another mirrorless toy camera for the guys who used to collect the prizes from cereal boxes, and yes it really does take pictures, well not yet, but when Sony finally gets around to releasing it, it will"

"Why hasn't Sony caught up with Pentax in Pixel shift.? Sony continues to lag far behind the field in innovation that actually contributes to better image IQ."

"After investing heavily in mirrorless, one has to ask, can Sony actually produce a camera that more than 10% of the population will want.?"

"Sony is the anti-Pentax. Has it ever occurred to you Sony shills, when you buy this expensive Sony glass, that is poorly designed and does the corrections in Camera, what happens when Sony stops supporting the lenses? Do you really think that's going to be more than 5 years?" DO you know Sony's track record with toughing it out for the long haul? Unlike Pentax lenses, with lenses that were bought 30 years ago still being fully functional, Sony lenses even five years from now are going to be paper weights."

I have lots of angles that need to be in the non-Pentax gear threads. I can be just as obnoxious as these shills. They seem to think they have some kind of monopoly on being bores. Sad fact is, they are so unimportant to most of us, we just ignore them. Maybe they need a bit more attention.

Last edited by normhead; 10-15-2015 at 05:49 AM.
10-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #28
Pentaxian

If Sony is so great, why don't they have their own forum?"

Hmmmmm? Might have to buy a Sonyforums domain name
10-15-2015, 07:32 AM   #29
Pentaxian

The last I read, Ricoh/Pentax turned a profit despite their smaller market share. Sony (overall) is in a hole so deep they may never be able to dig out and Canon and Nikon have both been in the news after reporting large losses. All of this can change in this business but it's a known fact the the digital camera market has pretty much reached its saturation point and the big boys have a lot to loose if they can't keep selling new cameras at the same pace as the past few years.

Sony has a few hits but they also have a lot of products that aren't selling and are bleeding money. Their stock was considered junk at one point.
10-15-2015, 08:04 AM   #30
osv
Veteran Member

If Sony is so great, why don't they have their own forum?
Home - Sony's Community Site

Being old and retired I'm thinking I should start monitoring Sony press releases and explaining why they aren't as good as Pentanes, every time they release a product.
so you are going to go from not even knowing where the sony website is, to suddenly becoming a sony expert? oh my

---------- Post added 10-15-15 at 08:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Sony has a few hits but they also have a lot of products that aren't selling and are bleeding money. Their stock was considered junk at one point.
"The current consensus among 17 polled investment analysts is to buy stock in Sony. This rating has held steady since October, when it was unchanged from a buy rating." SNE - Sony Forecast - CNNMoney.com

"The current consensus among 11 polled investment analysts is to hold stock in Ricoh Co Ltd. This rating has held steady since October, when it was unchanged from a hold rating." RICOY - Ricoh Co Ltd Forecast - CNNMoney.com
Closed Thread