Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2015, 07:01 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony RX1R II compact with 42.4-mp 35mm sensor

QuoteQuote:
Full-frame CMOS sensor and fixed-lens design rise to new heights in the RX1R II compact camera with 42.4-megapixel resolution and advanced image processing. Speedy AF, a retractable electronic viewfinder and the world's first optical variable low-pass filter let you see how seamlessly cutting-edge performance and all-around convenience can co-exist.

10-15-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me this is a concept that makes tons of sense to me. Price point is a bit to be desired, but I can see what it is what it is. I like it. I like their audacity of being able to do something.
10-15-2015, 08:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Way out of line pricewise but the concept is awesome and since it is rather unique might sell well.

I would expect hefty price drops after initial sales.
10-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sony is going after Leica.
(and CaNikon too with their other offerings)

M

10-15-2015, 10:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Very cool camera...
Me personally, I couldn't live with a fixed focal length camera. But this looks like a winner for those that don't mind it.
10-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think that this is just another indication that the new Pentax full frame will need to be using this sensor, too... Also, with Sony spinning off the sensor manufacturing as an independent company, the 6 month wait for other third party camera vendors use, may be a thing of the past.

... also, might Ricoh also come out very quickly with a FF 42MP sensor GR model, using the guts of the Pentax FF - which would also spread the R&D costs over more models initially.

10-15-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Sony is going after Leica.
(and CaNikon too with their other offerings)

M
Probably more likely going into the gap left by Canon's half-hearted approach to mirrorless compacts, at this stage. Sony fans (not saying you are one) like to imagine that Sony could challenge Leica, and they probably could if they made something with the Carl Zeiss name on the body, but I doubt they'd be in the same street by badging it as Sony.

10-15-2015, 04:43 PM   #8
osv
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Probably more likely going into the gap left by Canon's half-hearted approach to mirrorless compacts, at this stage.
that makes no sense at all.

canon never made anything close to a $3200 ff mirrorless camera, so how could they have created a "gap" that could be filled by a $3200 ff mirrorless camera
10-15-2015, 06:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
that makes no sense at all.

canon never made anything close to a $3200 ff mirrorless camera, so how could they have created a "gap" that could be filled by a $3200 ff mirrorless camera
Canon's M-series APS-C was the closest they got to a compact mirrorless that didn't have a tiny sensor. If they'd pursued the issue, they probably could have done something similar to what Sony's done now. The M was, of course, an interchangeable lens compact, as well. That's what I meant by Canon's half-hearted approach. I hope that makes a little more sense now.
10-15-2015, 08:33 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Now if Ricoh only could do a $7000 medium format camera like this.

Seriously, IMO FF sensor is a bit overkill for a fixed lens camera.
APS-C sensor is more than enough for me, but Ricoh GR could use a faster lens, FI f/1.8 instead of f/2.8, and a retractable EVF like Sony use.
10-15-2015, 09:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know they don't have the balls to do it, but GR FF I will literally cry for.
10-16-2015, 01:36 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Sony is going after Leica
They don't stand a chance in hell of beating Leica.
10-16-2015, 02:06 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
They don't stand a chance in hell of beating Leica.
beat Leica in which category ? Sony already had bigger market share than Leica @_@
10-16-2015, 02:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
Sony already had bigger market share than Leica
This isn't about market share - Nikon and Canon has a bigger market share than Sony....have they beaten Leica? no.

I'm talking about a history here, a history of excellence in optical design and excellent ergonomics, and all parts that come together that makes a great camera. Leica is a photographic Icon, Sony is never going to beat them in that regard: no one ever has.

If you have never held a Leica camera in your hands, you won't ever understand why Leica has garnered the respect of photographers all over the world.
10-16-2015, 02:53 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Pentax once is a legend in the camera maker history, that was (sadly) the past, Sony is now the innovator of the industry, they have their own status I've never had a Leica so I can't say anything about their camera and lens, I hope I can test their lens one day ^^ In terms of output, do you have any photos shot with Leica to share with us, I'm curious about their legendary Leica look ^^