Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Good camera/sensory size for wife?

My wife is finding her K-30/18-135mm combo too unwieldy. She is looking for something smaller while still capable of taking good pictures. What is a good sensor size and camera for her? She does like the range the 18-135mm offers.

10-18-2015, 09:56 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unwieldy to use or unwieldy to carry? I like using my k-3, but it's a pain to carry if you don't have a nice bag. Even mirrorless aren't much smaller and require a good bag. see where I'm going? ;-)
10-18-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Newtophotos Quote
She does like the range the 18-135mm offers
It's been a few years since I did any shopping for a 1/1.7 compact camera with a 20X zoom lens, but a top of the line Nikon Coolpix or a Panasonic Lumix would be my suggestion. I doubt if your wife is going to be happy with a K-S1 and an 18-50 zoom or a Q and a bag of prime lenses. The K-S1 package is slightly smaller and the Q system is much smaller, but at the expense of versatility/convenience. There are high end compact cameras with APS-C sensors, but fixed focal length lenses (like the Ricoh GR), so major versatility/convenience expense there.
10-18-2015, 10:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

My wife is finding her K-30/18-135mm combo too unwieldy. She is looking for something smaller while still capable of taking good pictures. What is a good sensor size and camera for her? She does like the range the 18-135mm offers.
What does she like to shoot?

There's a lot of decent quality compacts these days if you're not interested in interchangeable lenses.

10-18-2015, 11:50 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

And what's your budget? I'd say the premium 1" compacts are nice, like the Sony RX100. The higher your budget the newer of a model you can go for

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-19-2015, 02:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A bag, definitely get a really nice camera bag. Unless your wife is determined to only go out with a handbag, then really there's not that much difference in the practical effect of slightly different sizes, at least for decent quality cameras. Having your gear at hand easily and being able to access it quickly when out, and carry comfortably, is often all that's needed to re-motivate.
10-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

1" sensor. Sony RX100 series. Canon GX7, GX9, GX3. Nikon 1 series.

10-19-2015, 09:37 PM   #8

Photos: Albums
Having bought one myself just a week ago, I can thoroughly recommend a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. It is probably about the same size as your wife's camera but will be lighter.
It is probably one of the best bang for your buck 1" sensor cameras on the market. The picture quality is very good as long as you don't want to print bigger than A3.
24-400mm zoom, very fast auto focus ( I mean seriously very fast). 4K video , Wi-Fi (there is a remote app for android and ios) , nfc. Excellent EVF with face detection.
Buy one you wont regret it.

Peter
10-19-2015, 09:44 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually have one of these:

NX System / NX Series / NXmini / Features

I've got a wide angle pancake prime, a normal zoom, and an f1.8 normal prime for it.
10-19-2015, 11:27 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Samsung nx500, with 18-200....not weather sealed, but same size sensor with 28mp....4k video and a few other neat bells and whistles....option of the 30mm pancake f2.8
10-19-2015, 11:45 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
And what's your budget? I'd say the premium 1" compacts are nice, like the Sony RX100. The higher your budget the newer of a model you can go for
Yep I can say the RX 100 (for zoom range M1?) is really nice. BUT beware, go to a shop with your wife and let her try it ^^

I got this cam, used, to try to give my girlfriend a bit more fun back to photography - and give me more time to take photos when we do things together but she thinks the cam is TOO BIG
On the other hand, my mother (mid/end 40 years), said the cam is too small for her taste

For me itīs just the right size. It fits in my jeans pockets and I can always carry it with me. Nice image quality, solid build quality, okay focus, RAW,... I just like it!
10-20-2015, 12:26 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No love for the Q?
10-20-2015, 12:59 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
No love for the Q?
Ooh, very, very good point!
10-20-2015, 05:57 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
A bag, definitely get a really nice camera bag. Unless your wife is determined to only go out with a handbag, then really there's not that much difference in the practical effect of slightly different sizes, at least for decent quality cameras. Having your gear at hand easily and being able to access it quickly when out, and carry comfortably, is often all that's needed to re-motivate.
I often switch some of my purse contents to my K3 camera bag.... Priorities you know.... Lol.
10-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
No love for the Q?
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Ooh, very, very good point!
True, but the Q struggles indoors in typical indoor lighting, so it may not be the right tool.