Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2015, 01:51 PM   #16
Pentaxian

You callin' my yellow brick ugly?

10-20-2015, 02:04 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The camera could be worse...but those lenses are hideous!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #18
KDD
Veteran Member

MF Lenses.
1 point spot. No multi-area points.
10-20-2015, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Leica have such a reputation they could relabel a Panasonic P&S and get away with it.

Oh, they already do!

10-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
4.4MP EVF (the A7RII has 2.4MP), rationalised controls and touch screen, adapters for S, T, M and R lenses. Leica claims the AF is fast, but that remains to be proven. Let's not get too sniffy about something most of us can't afford or can't justify to themselves or their life partners.

It's expensive, but for those with the budget and a bank of old Leica glass, it looks like good value. For those without, you can leave it for a few years and pick up a used copy for D810 money...
10-20-2015, 04:02 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bet it's fairly nice to use, or at least hold, not that I'll ever know!

I have a couple of Leica R lenses, one of which I have converted to K. I think I might as well convert the other one too!
10-20-2015, 04:23 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I actually quite like the industrial design, although I'm surprised by the direction Leica is taking with this... I was expecting something along the lines of the Q form-factor with interchangeable lenses.

847g for the body alone? And the lenses are immense by mirrorless standards (even FF mirrorless...).

From Ming Thein.

In shooting configuration with the 24-90 mounted, you’re looking at about 2.1kg.

Oh well, I'm happy to go back to lusting after the Q and RX1r II

Last edited by nickthetasmaniac; 10-20-2015 at 04:29 PM.
10-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

It doesn't look bad to me, and certainly not "ugliest ILC ever". I think the Pentax Q-S1 would probably win that dubious award.
10-20-2015, 04:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Looking more closely at the photos the biggest mistake is that the EVF takes too much space and reduces the real estate for the LCD screen. I would have preferred if Leica gave as much space to the LCD screen as possible and bump up the EVF like on the Sony A7 (which is a smarter design).

The LCD screen should also have been articulated, for people like me to prefer to shoot with LCD (very useful for video and unusual angles).

What I really like about this body is the 11fps up to 3 seconds (raw) and Dual SD cards. This suits my shooting style and preferences.

In summary, it's not perfect, but probably the best body for Leica lenses right now (I can't use the M because of my failing eyesight - can't use the rangefinder).
10-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #25
osv
Veteran Member

here is what it looks like in the hands of a human, it looks much bigger than the first a7 versions, at least: A lot to Leica? Hands-on with the Leica SL (Typ 601): Digital Photography Review

"The only real issue with the EVF is that your nose can end up touching the LCD panel which, on several occasions, resulted in inadvertently changing the focus point."
10-20-2015, 05:12 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by osv Quote
"The only real issue with the EVF is that your nose can end up touching the LCD panel which, on several occasions, resulted in inadvertently changing the focus point."
Exactly. This is why the A7 series design is good (unfortunately, and extremely frustratingly so) the A7 series DOESN'T HAVE A TOUCHSCREEN.

Edit: finally had a chance to read your link to Preview hands on. You are right - it's rather big and unwieldy plus heavy. This alone may kill it for me. However, I will reserve final judgement until I have had a chance to test this out (with say a 50mm Summicron to see how usable it is in real life).

Last edited by Christine Tham; 10-20-2015 at 05:46 PM.
10-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A big difference for old Leica users is that the sensor is designed to work well with M mount wide angles, where the A7 series smear badly off-center. This camera also comes closer to meeting their old promise to have a good "R lens" solution, for those of us that loved the Leicaflex and Leica-R cameras and have orphaned lenses.
However, I'm very happy with the A7 as my R lens solution (and Pentax M lens solution). I think the concept is good - the pricing is ridiculous.
10-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #28
Veteran Member

A camera for oligarchs.

However I do like the 4.4MP resolution EVF. I wonder who makes it?

Plus the 11 fps makes the Leica amongst the fastest full-frame shooters out there, comparable to the Canon 1Dx and Nikon D4s. So that's cool. Ideal for sports.

But if you are a sports shooter, and pair the new Leica with the forthcoming 90-280mm f2.8-f4 zoom, you will indeed end up with a combo that is really gigantic and expensive.
10-20-2015, 07:06 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
I think the concept is good - the pricing is ridiculous.
The pricing is actually quite good, lower than I expected.

Basically Leica sells in relatively low volumes - they have to amortise their R&D over a small production run which in itself will jack up the price.

There is also an element of them pricing at a level that they think the market will bear. They know their market is relatively price insensitive so they just need to price relative to their other products.

But then everyone does this - look at Sony - the series II bodies are noticeably more expensive but probably doesn't cost that much more to make. Sony has now established a market and reputation, they can start value based pricing. Gone are the days when Sony was so desperate to get influential people to buy and use their products, they sold the RX100 when it was first released to me at half price (I didn't complain - I wouldn't have bought it at full price - and now I am lusting after Mark IV).
10-20-2015, 09:27 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like kind of a beast!