Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Many people have complained about the price of Leica SL. They should not. Some of Leica accessories for SL have a very reasonable price:

Leica BP-SCL4 Lithium-Ion Battery Pack (8.4V, 1860mAh).......... $ 250
Leica Lens Hood for Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm f / 2.8-4 Lens..... $ 255
Leica SF 64 flash......................................................................$ 745
Leica HDMI Cable (Type A, 4.9 ').............................................. $ 205

Be sure to include the tax.
Saw this on one of the comments in dpreview article -- by Frank_BR or search for keyword 'cable'. Two Leica batteries and a HDMI cable will cost you a new Pentax K-3 or a used Sony A7.

Jokes aside, Ming Thein has a good blog post with images taken with Leica SL

Premiere and review: The 2015 Leica SL (Typ 601) and lenses ? Ming Thein | Photographer

update: I have verified the price on BHphoto and mark up the quote with links for reference.

Cheers,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 10-20-2015 at 09:36 PM.
10-20-2015, 11:23 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I look at the camera (esp the Ming Thien camera shots) and it immediately reminds me of the Leica R series.
I guess its has to be taken in that context and form factor (a successor to the R series SLR; which also takes M lenses ) rather than some camera thought up to vs a Sony A7 or a direct M240/M9 replacement.

EVF resolution is impressive (at a very good refresh rate too), close to twice that on an A7 EVF, which I don't complain about much for MF.
I'd reckon that at least in good light, it will be very had to tell that its even an EVF with that resolution.

The larger camera size might be what Leica thinks is more of a 'right' size than an over smallish A7 (which I have to have a 3rd party base plate for the pinky) .

As its a Leica, its priced as one.
Just a different market segment camera imo.

I just wish its successful enough for the sake of keeping a famous maker alive and having companies that think a bit differently from others.

Last edited by pinholecam; 10-21-2015 at 04:56 AM.
10-21-2015, 12:15 AM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote

I just wish its successful enough for the sake of keeping a famous maker alive and having companies that think a bit differently from others.
Amen.
10-21-2015, 01:02 AM   #34
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The larger camera size might be what Leica thinks is more of a 'right' size than an over smallish A7 (which I have to have a 3rd party base plate for the pinky) .
I have just compared the size and weight of this new Leica with my K3. A bit wider, about the same height, and slightly shallower - just to keep all the size comments in perspective. Definitely bigger than the Sony A7's, but I don't think of the K3 as a big camera compared with the big FF Nikons and Canons.

In terms of weight the Leica is 879 grams with SD card and battery compared with the K3 at 800 grams, so again not too bad. Although moving from the K5 (740 grams) to K3 I did notice the extra weight and it took a few months to get used to it - so I guess it would be the same with the weight of the Leica.

As previously mentioned Ming Thien, Jono Slack and Sean Reid all have thorough reviews of this camera - not perfect, but interesting with definite strengths and weaknesses.

Given the Leica SL will have Leica adaptors for M, R, S and T lenses plus it's own lenses that is a lot of seriously good quality lenses that can be mounted. All Leica lenses have menu accessible profiles that set the camera up for the lens, and also fill in the EXIF data for the lens - which is a really nice feature and something I wish Pentax had for the older K through to A lenses.

Having read the various reviews now - it is a very interesting camera. Just a shame about the Leica rental that is expressed in the price, but nothing new there.

10-21-2015, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
(...)

However I do like the 4.4MP resolution EVF. I wonder who makes it?

(...)
Epson.

(prototype shown at CP+ 2015)
10-21-2015, 04:51 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Looks like kind of a beast!
Are you f***ing kidding me?
Seriously, who's going to buy that behemoth?
10-21-2015, 07:56 AM   #37

What the hell?
Only about 1300 busy bees in Wetzlar churning out all these new cameras and lenses at breakneck speed. I wonder how they do it. Surely this isn't all rebranded Panasonic stuff. And what an odd set of priorities for Leica: class leading EVF and 11fps plus long zoom lenses on the road map. Are they going after CaNikon and the sports photographers?

Anyway Pentax - what are you up to these days?

10-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It reminds me a little of the old Leicaflex bodies. I actually have one but don't use it much. Solidly built is an understatement.
For a film camera with no meter it's just too cumbersome for me to use much but it's kind of cool.

Last edited by mattb123; 10-21-2015 at 08:47 AM.
10-21-2015, 09:46 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It reminds me a little of the old Leicaflex bodies. I actually have one but don't use it much. Solidly built is an understatement.
For a film camera with no meter it's just too cumbersome for me to use much but it's kind of cool.
DAG camera (Don Goldberg) replaced the meter cell in my SL a couple of years ago, and can recalibrate to use 1.5v battery. I got my SL new in 1969, and it is a great camera, built like a tank (and weighs about the same)
10-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Sounds fab even though I'll never own one. Some nice ideas in a system for the twenty-first century. Clinging to the twentieth century is one of the besetting problems of several of the Japanese camera-makers, I think. They give themselves no room to take the best of the new, not any old new but only that which solves real problems and helps actual users. And 24 mpx is plenty for many, many things. If you want more there is the Leica S or in our case the 645z. "Lock in" imprisons the camera-maker as much as the user. I'm glad Leica aren't afraid to start with something a bit more ambitious than that. I wish this new cam every success. Who knows how it will fare but I would guess pretty darn well. There is a ton of new money out there in the right parts of the world (or the wrong parts, depending on your POV)
10-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Looks like kind of a beast!
It's built like a brick !

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Leica have such a reputation they could relabel a Panasonic P&S and get away with it. Oh, they already do!
Lol, Hasselblad are also refurbishing camera as a Luxury camera, and sold more ten times the price. For the price, I was wondering if I could add a nice piece of wood to turn my K-3 into a Luxury camera. I can imagine a silver version of the K-3 with a hand-crafted wooden battery grip. Would be nice.
10-21-2015, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #42
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I can imagine a silver version of the K-3 with a hand-crafted wooden battery grip. Would be nice.
You should do it - as an after market accessory

You will either make a fortune or go bust....
10-21-2015, 12:59 PM   #43
Pentaxian

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery.
10-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eyeswideshut Quote
Only about 1300 busy bees in Wetzlar churning out all these new cameras and lenses at breakneck speed. I wonder how they do it ... Anyway Pentax - what are you up to these days?
An interesting productivity point. Pentax Ricoh Imaging Company came across to Ricoh in 2011 with about 1900 employees. So the Leica Camera/ PRIC head count is comparable.
10-21-2015, 02:36 PM   #45
Veteran Member

It looks like this comes out of the Panasonic/Leica relationship with Panasonic providing the sensor, image processor, and the AF. If this thing is GH-4 fast it will be a real competitor and it may mean that Panasonic is about to enter the FF mirrorless market. That would definitely shake things up.