Veteran Member

CameraSize has the Leica SL in it's database now - eg Leica SL vs Sony A7 II:

10-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #47
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
847g!

The most usable mirrorless designs I've handled - Fuji XT1, Samsung NX1, Panny GH4 - are all big as well.

No real savings over a DSLR, especially once they pack a decent lens.

Last edited by clackers; 10-21-2015 at 09:25 PM.
10-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just had a run through of the new Leica on the dpreview comparator studio shot. I changed the cameras to: K-3 II, Leica SL, D750 and the A7 ii. The Pentax stock jpegs aren't in the same league for the most part but switch it to pixel shift and then it equals or betters any of the others. In fact, pixel shifted Pentax is the only one that is able to avoid moire with any of the "fine line" grid patterns on the chart, for example, any of the small four converging line discs at the corners of the center disc. The two Sony sensors colours are the most similar as expected.

Last edited by jbinpg; 10-21-2015 at 06:05 PM.
10-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like it.

I think I get it though. Many of my fellow Leica M shooters own Nikon or Canon FF, mainly for when situations make them crave for AF.

Some of my friends over the years amassed a wide collection of Leica lenses of all formats. This can be an interesting proposition to them in that they can have a Leica body that can mount all. The price point, if you think about it, isn't too far off. Consider buying a top of the line Nikon or Canon FF, or Pentax MF - to those it is surprisingly close. Many of my friends are thinking they can sell off Nikon or Canon FF bodies and all the lenses to go with it and buy this body and few adapters without adding not a while lot of money out of pocket if any.

As for the design - I think it looks fine, not that the looks of it is that important to me. I obviously have not handled it myself, but with a hefty lens on it I bet you the balance of it ain't too bad. Functionality certainly dictates the design of it here, and leaks with Bauhaus like feel. Not surprising as it is after all German design principle.

Most importantly, the image quality, or the rendition of the sensor remains to be seen. I have a feeling that you have to inspect the prints to have a final say, as in the case of M sensor outputs.

I am very intrigued.

10-22-2015, 12:24 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Just an observation/thought - if Leica thinks its market will stomach the idea of an EVF on a $7.5K body, I wonder what this means for the future of optical finders on high-end SLRs (and therefore the principle of SLRs in general)?

There seems to have been the perception that the traditional SLR design was being kept alive because 'serious' photographers still preferred an OVF. Clearly Leica thinks this is no longer the case...

Thoughts? Can we expect a 5D MkIV with an 4mp EVF?
10-22-2015, 12:40 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Can we expect a 5D MkIV with an 4mp EVF?
It will depends a lot on the latency of the display, especially for sports and action shooters, as well as (of course) the resolution and colour depth.

Plus out in the field there are maintenance issues to consider that may worry pros and 'serious' shooters. With a OVF if you get a dust bunny or some dirt on the focus screen you can just blow it off with a rocket blower. With an EVF, like rear LCD's, if you get a dead pixel or lines of dead pixels in the display, or some other problem, it's needs to get replaced. Plus I'm not sure if EVF's can handle the same hot and cold extremes an OVF can without visible degradation.
10-22-2015, 12:45 AM - 1 Like   #52
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote

There seems to have been the perception that the traditional SLR design was being kept alive because 'serious' photographers still preferred an OVF. Clearly Leica thinks this is no longer the case...
I could be really cynical and claim that Leica realise their core customer base is getting older and older and finding (like me) that rangefinders are becoming almost impossible to use due to poor eyesight.

The "traditional" market for SLRs has been shrinking, so whatever the thinking is about what buyers care about - that thinking isn't working. And that market isn't necessarily the same as Leica's market - who almost by definition are people who are not interested in SLRs.

I would say Leica see Sony as their competitor, and both the T and now the new SL are responses to prevent their user base from switching to Sony, or tempt those that have switched to come back.

Their strategy must be working, because they got me interested, and I thought I will never ever buy a Leica body again.

10-22-2015, 12:57 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It will depends a lot on the latency of the display, especially for sports and action shooters, as well as (of course) the resolution and colour depth.

Plus out in the field there are maintenance issues to consider that may worry pros and 'serious' shooters. With a OVF if you get a dust bunny or some dirt on the focus screen you can just blow it off with a rocket blower. With an EVF, like rear LCD's, if you get a dead pixel or lines of dead pixels in the display, or some other problem, it's needs to get replaced. Plus I'm not sure if EVF's can handle the same hot and cold extremes an OVF can without visible degradation.
My interpretation would be that Leica this time will not invest in what they perceive as yesterday's technology - the reflex mirror. They know all about stubbornly clinging to old tech and probably don't want to go down that path again.
Wether that strategy works out remains to be seen. Early reviews marvel at the quality of their evf and I'm sure their long zooms will be excellent. But will a Nikon D4S shooter switch?
10-22-2015, 04:21 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Definitely, although reports from the SL suggest they're getting close.

QuoteQuote:
I see your point, but I wonder if mirrorless/EVF setups are inherently more prone to maintenance issues? After all, an SLR design has a whole lot of moving parts that could potentially fail...

Regarding temperature - the only time I've had to worry about temp was mid-winter in Finland (about -30C), when the lubricants in the mirror assembly of my Olympus E3 started to seize up.