11-05-2015, 08:30 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
10 Interesting Things We Learned About Cameras and Lenses from LensRentals

11-05-2015, 08:47 PM   #2
Pentaxian

"Lenses have multiple failure points, including their autofocus systems and image stabilization.
Of the two, LensRentals sees image stabilization failing more than autofocus."

Makes you appreciate the IBIS on Pentax!
11-06-2015, 02:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
10 Interesting Things We Learned About Cameras and Lenses from LensRentals
another interesting observation thanks !!

---------- Post added 11-06-15 at 11:07 AM ----------

"* The strangest thing they've pulled out of a lens recently? A spider" <= this is creepy, hope it's not a poisonous one !!!
11-06-2015, 05:50 AM   #4

A plus point for Pentax

If lens optical stability is a problem, then this is a plus for Pentax in not having them. If for instance you had 5 lens with OS, then there are 5 times more likly to fail then just having one in the camera. Assuming a similar failure rate, which in itself is unlikely.

Last edited by fb_penpho; 11-06-2015 at 06:49 AM.
11-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
If lens optical stability is a problem, then this is a plus for Pentax in not having them. If for instance you had 5 lens with OS, then there are 5 times more likly to fail then just having one in the camera. Assuming a similar failure rate, which in itself is unlikely.
But on the other hand when it fails for Pentax it's on 100% of the lenses, instead of on 20% of the lenses. And if failing in a way that no images can be captured you can't capture any images on Pentax, instead of 1 in 5 lenses can't be used.
11-06-2015, 08:00 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
But on the other hand when it fails for Pentax it's on 100% of the lenses, instead of on 20% of the lenses. And if failing in a way that no images can be captured you can't capture any images on Pentax, instead of 1 in 5 lenses can't be used.
I would make an educated guess that a reasonably robust SR system based on magnets (I think it is?), is going to be far more reliable than a lightweight system that moves glass. This is also based on that I have never heard of many complaints of SR failure. I am sure this forum would be red hot if SR failure was a significant problem.
11-06-2015, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fb_penpho Quote
I would make an educated guess that a reasonably robust SR system based on magnets (I think it is?), is going to be far more reliable than a lightweight system that moves glass. This is also based on that I have never heard of many complaints of SR failure. I am sure this forum would be red hot if SR failure was a significant problem.
I don't think there is a significant amount of problems on either system, but when it fails on a camera it can be a more significant problem than if IS fails on a lens (if you use more than one lens).
Some prefer to have a backup cameras to be able to still capture images if a camera break down, but I don't think that many users have two copies of every lens they have in case a lens break down.

11-10-2015, 08:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
"* The strangest thing they've pulled out of a lens recently? A spider" <= this is creepy, hope it's not a poisonous one !!!
Bonus points if they pulled it out of a "hot" Takumar and it bit some nerdy guy.
11-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Bonus points if they pulled it out of a "hot" Takumar and it bit some nerdy guy.
Only if he chooses a life of virtue over a quick buck.