Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
D610 first impressions

Just got mine the other day, with Pentax (K-50/K-3) being the only other DSLR I've ever owned. I was a little worried about taking a step back from the K-3, as that camera was pretty awesome from a feature standpoint, and was so solidly built (especially after my K-50) that the bar was set pretty high from my standpoint. I know the D610 is an entry level camera, so kept my expectations on build quality and stuff pretty reasonable. I have to say I'm really liking it so far, with just a couple very minor quibbles. I picked up a Tamron 90mm Macro VC, Nikon 50mm 1.8G, a Tamron 70-300mm (the nicer model), and a Nikon 24-120mm F4. I already knew the Tamron would be great (used one on my old K-3), and am impressed so far with the two Nikon lenses. The 50 is really good wide-open, and the 24-120 is pretty sharp stopped down to F5.6. Just got the 70-300mm today, so we'll see how that is. A few things that have stood out to me:
  • I like the larger camera body -- feels good in the hands. Reminds me of the K10D I cut my teeth on
  • The lenses are a lot bigger. While it doesn't bother me, I can see why people that hike migrate to smaller systems
  • I miss the dedicated back-button AF button. I remapped the A-EL button, but it sits pretty far to the left; just need to get used to it
  • I push the DOF button every time I want to change a lens; old habits die hard (I also twist the lens and caps the wrong way, too -- lol)
  • Forgot how reliant I was on the battery grip (I have a generic one coming in the mail; genuine is really expensive...)
  • I had heard a lot about the "plasticky" Nikon bodies, but it feels fine to me. Between my old K-50 and K-3. To be expected for entry level.
  • I miss the D-pad for easy ISO and WB changes, and I also liked it better for changing the shooting mode (the underneath dial on the D610 is a little funky to get to; not like you change it a lot, though)
  • I dove in and set up the auto-ISO, and have been using it pretty much exclusively. I was always pretty conscious of the noise pattern above ISO 800 on my old K-3, but feel really good with ISO 3200 so far on the D610
  • I especially love the parameter you can set before any ISO is used (correlates to shutter speed) -- love that feature
  • The silent AF on all of my new lenses is taking some getting used to, in a good way. I was always too fearful of the Pentax SDM failures to spend money on that glass (though I really liked Sigma's HSM lenses). People say that those SDM failures are a thing of the past, but too much coin for me to risk finding out
  • Don't really see the point in the quiet mode on the shutter (not much difference than the standard mode}
  • Love the longer battery life (never understood why my old K-50/K-3 got so much less out of their batteries; probably some electronics I don't understand)
  • Most of the reviews say the tracking AF on the D610 is one of its downfalls (why I briefly considered the D750) but it seems really good to me, especially compared to my old K-50, and at least as good as my old K-3
  • I haven't tweaked any of the in-camera JPEG processing, but I already like what I see much more so than what my old K-3 gave me. Just a matter of taste, but like the colors better for sure
  • The VR is going to take some getting used to. Feels weird how it kind of "snaps" into affect at longer FL's. I was nervous not having IS on the 50, but that lens is great wide-open, and the extra ISO capabilities give me plenty of shutter. Worst case -- gives me reason to work on technique

Just a few thoughts after a handful of days using it. I'm taking some casual engagement pictures tomorrow for my brother and his fiance, and am looking forward to seeing how the 50 does. I think the biggest thing for me will be how the lenses feel once I learn what they can/can't do. I was pretty spoiled with my old 100 WR, FA 43, DA 21, and Sigma 70. Truth be told, I was a coin flip away from picking up the DA 16-85, and just sticking with my K-3, but I'm pretty certain I won't be able to afford Pentax's initial FF offering, and I like new toys/gear -- so the time to move was right for me. I've never been a distance shooter, so I don't miss the extra crop reach, and while I read that APSC is great for macro work (magnification and pixel density), the kind of macro work I do (primarily what I shoot) is more of the artsy/bokeh style, so the shallower DOF is a nice little extra to have with the D610. I also love the abundance of glass choices. I got into Pentax for the MF stuff, but I lost some close-up vision when I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, so MF was hit and miss unless I was on a tripod, and using FP + 6x mag (not always practical). So with all of that great legacy glass out of my use range, I was left with just what Pentax had to offer, and older 3rd party designs (since they all backed so far away from the K-mount). Lots of nice lenses, for sure, but I like having more choices, and it's cool to get to use the modern designs (like my new Tamron macro, for example; internal AF is great). You can drop some serious coin on these FF lenses though, so I'm hopeful I got the LBA out of my system with my Pentax gear -- lol.

When I made this move, I figured I couldn't really lose. If I hated the output from the Nikon system, I could just sell my gear, and rebuy my old Pentax gear (or try the Nikon crop stuff) for the money I spent on the FF gear. If these past few days are any indication, I don't think I'll be needing to do that. Pretty happy so far

Here are a few images I shot today. Just some minor PP tweaks.

Last edited by esrandall; 11-06-2015 at 09:11 PM.
11-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are happy with the new camera and system, that is all that counts.

I use Pentax because the first SLR I bought was Pentax and I could upgrade bit by bit rather than in one big plunge. I still have the Pentax M42-K adapter and I own the S-M-C Tak 55/1.8 that I will try out one day.

I would have been really upset if I had a Minolta D system when they went Maxxum. I had a friend with virtually the identical kit I had when they did, and he was instantly obsoleted. His gear was worth nothing. I would have been even more upset if I bought Canon and had it done to me twice. Nikon does allow you at least use the AI lenses on their top of the line bodies.

So I use Pentax because I was lucky in the pawn shop where I bought my original Asahi Pentax in 1961.

Show us more of your D610 images; your starter set looks really nice.
11-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words. That SMC Tak 55/1.8 was my favorite MF lens hands down. I cheaped out and used one of those $3 M42 adapters, and pretty much got it stuck in my old K-50. That K-50 became my designated M42 camera for quite a few months (until I finally got the adapter off). I've been pretty lucky to just lose some vision from the diabetes, but I'm definitely missing the fun/quality of all of that old SMC glass. I do still have my ME Super, and a nice copy of the M 50/1,4 though...not ready to let them go just yet
11-06-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
KDD
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good Luck!!!

11-07-2015, 08:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think your comments are spot on. I too like the ergonomics of the K-3 better than my Nikons (and I've been a Nikon shooter for 30 years now). I shoot with a D800 which is a slightly more programmable camera than the D610. I've gotten used to shooting with both at the same time, so it no longer is an issue for me to carry both a K-3 and D800 on a shoot. Nikon has a slightly different philosophy about lenses than Pentax does. Increasingly, Nikon lenses are getting bigger and bigger. My hope is that Pentax refreshes all their 49mm lenses making them WR, HD, and perhaps with updated optics. I'm totally happy with screw-drive lenses if the result is a package that is lighter/smaller. The last thing I want from Pentax is bigger lenses -- I already have Nikon for that.

YMMV

Michael
11-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
Closed Account

Original Poster
Agreed Michael. My photography adventure is only a couple years old. Who knows, I may get tired of the extra weight, and by the time that happens, there may be a consumer level Pentax FF that I can afford, and some refreshed primes to play with. Like I said, I feel like I can't lose either way, and I'm definitely enjoying the 610 now ☺
11-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #7
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I would have been really upset if I had a Minolta D system when they went Maxxum. I had a friend with virtually the identical kit I had when they did, and he was instantly obsoleted. His gear was worth nothing. I would have been even more upset if I bought Canon and had it done to me twice. Nikon does allow you at least use the AI lenses on their top of the line bodies.
i own lenses in all those mounts, and they all work on sony e-mount cameras, including the 42mp a7rii body... the maxxum lenses even have functional af and auto metering, just like they used to back in the day.

pricewise, both the sr and maxxum lenses are some the cheapest lenses on the market today, along with fd mount... old pentax and oly lenses cost more... nikon is always overpriced

Last edited by osv; 11-07-2015 at 02:34 PM.