Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2015, 12:05 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The TLR Twin Lens Reflex thread

The threads about TLRs seems to be quite old, segmented and spread out so I start this one to bring together TLR love. There gotta be some TLR users on here.

My Voigtländer Superb and a Brillant

From my two latest developed rolls

TMAX400 - D76
Epson V600

11-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Thanks, I was totally unaware that they made TLR (on tablet so can't cut and paste the name). For 30 years I shot some with a Rolleichord but stopped all together when I got my Hasselblad. Perhaps I should take it out again. I may get around and scan a couple of those shots too.
11-15-2015, 05:36 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
Thanks, I was totally unaware that they made TLR (on tablet so can't cut and paste the name). For 30 years I shot some with a Rolleichord but stopped all together when I got my Hasselblad. Perhaps I should take it out again. I may get around and scan a couple of those shots too.
As a fact Franke and Heidecke worked at Voigtländer before founding Rollei. According to the late Claus Prochnow the rumor says that when Heidecke, who was a mechanic, presented the idea of what came to be the Rolleiflex/Rolleicord line to the Voigtländer management but got rejected with words that the marketing department comes up with the concepts for him to design. He then joined with the businessman and former colleague Franke and the rest is history.

There must have been a lot of pride put in the Superb when it was designed to stick it to Rollei, but it was too little too late even though it got a lot going for it. The Brillant line was the one selling in large numbers later but only the Last focusing model, the one in my pic, can really be really be counted as a TLR.
11-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I have two TLR's, both bought new many years ago. My favourite is my Mamiya Pro 220f. I have the 55mm wide angle, 80mm normal and 180mm super telephoto. My other TLR is my Yashicamat 124G.

11-16-2015, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a Mamiya C2 and a C22 which I like to take out from time to time. Having two cameras makes it easy to convince another person to come along. Here are a few pictures. The first is a photo of my Mamiyaflex (C2). The second and third are from a shoot at Echo Park with my little sister.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-16-2015, 11:00 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really enjoy my Yashica Mat 124G whenever I use it, but it's rare due to being a cheapskate and slave to digital convenience... My current roll has been in the camera for so long now (since March) that I can't remember for sure which type of film I have in there!

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm going to subscribe and hopefully can get back to shooting with it again at least to burn the film I have in there and the couple rolls I have sitting in the fridge!

From my last developed rolls of Portra 400 in March:

11-16-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I tried a couple, a Yashica 124G and Sawyer Mark IV (Topcon Primo Jr).
Though I love the idea of a TLR I never warmed up to either one.

Composing looking down at a reversed image was disconcerting to me.
OTOH that's exactly why TLRs are so well-suited to candid portraiture.
The subject somehow doesn't correlate the TLR with being photographed and acts more natural.

Some love the square format. Since I prefer to fill standard 5x7" or 8x10"
paper without trimming I always ended up cropping too much of the negative.
I also couldn't afford a 6x6 cm slide projector...

Chris

11-16-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I tried a couple, a Yashica 124G and Sawyer Mark IV (Topcon Primo Jr).
Though I love the idea of a TLR I never warmed up to either one.

The subject somehow doesn't correlate the TLR with being photographed and acts more natural.

Chris
I think I like the square format the best of all the aspect ratios. I print the image about 6 to 7 inches square on a 8X10 paper leaving more white space at the bottom that the top of the paper. Sounds like for medium format film that the 645 is a better fit for you.
11-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

Chris
You're right that it's a pretty stiff challenge with the reverse image... I am still far from used to it, but I've only developed four rolls through my TLR over the last couple years... I'm already so particular about what I shoot with it trying to get as much out of each exposure as possible (considering that each shot costs about $2 or $3), and then the additional slow down that happens thanks to that reverse image... It's a lot of work for each shot, but then it makes for an interesting experience at the same time...

I like square format, but if I thought I'd use it enough, of the available MF dimensions I know of, I know I'd most like to shoot with a Pentax 67 and the 105/2.4 lens... I love just about everything I ever see with that combo...
11-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
You're right that it's a pretty stiff challenge with the reverse image...
I learned photography with a Yashica TLR in high school (year book photographer). We shot everything with the TLR, including sports. The reverse image became second nature when used everyday.

Tim
11-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Years ago my uncle gave me his old Rolliflex TLR. It is a lot of fun to use, but I haven't used it in a long time.
11-17-2015, 11:40 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
We shot everything with the TLR, including sports. The reverse image became second nature when used everyday.
You'd run up a nice film bill really fast then if you were shooting a TLR.
11-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
You'd run up a nice film bill really fast then if you were shooting a TLR.
We shot 100% B&W and developed our own film.

Tim
11-17-2015, 12:59 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I also shoot B&W and develop myself, anything else would be financial suicide in the long run.

Two more shots from my Superb:

Another bike in Uppsala. There are bikes around every corner here and sometimes finding an empty spot in a bike rack can be harder than a parking lot for cars.

A simple self-portrait in front of the cathedral, I had to run quick for the selftimer.

11-17-2015, 01:00 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
and developed our own film.
I regret not trying out photography in HS. I was involved in just about everything else and remember being curious... Got any of your shots from back then?

QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
develop myself
nice work! I'm trying to develop myself too! Now if I could just develop to the point of being willing to try developing my own film!