Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2015, 12:21 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
No point playing with your health esp if its tendon and bone as it gets really slow to recover with age.

Consider converting your 50-135 to screw drive (if you can find a fellow Pentax user where you live with a K5/K7 and can live with the sound of the screw drive AF).
Lots of guys here in Singapore have done this and are very happy with the AF speed on the K3.
In fact, they are having a conversion session tonight,

Sticking to a Nikon setup does have another advantage in that if the lens AF motor fails on the field, you can MF.
With an electronic lens for Sony, there will be nothing that can be done.

Why not just apsc and downsample to hide the noise?
ahhh screw drive conversion! I never thought of that. I do have a K5.

11-18-2015, 01:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I talked to someone who does fashion runways who I know recently switched to Sony. he told me actually kept his D750 and 70-200mm f4 for runway shooting because of the lag issues with the viewfinder. I guess the A7ii is out. :P
11-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
quite a few wedding togs have dropped the D3s in their arsenal for the D750 - they feel that the D750 is equal or if not better at high iso and the same for its af accuracy and speed - and in a much smaller and lighter package
11-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #19
Pentaxian

This might be of interest: Compact Camera Meter

Unfortunately they don't have the Nikkor 70-200 f4. But I still think an 85mm f/1.4 is worth considering, especially in the studio. And I'm actually particularly fond of the Nikkor 85 1.8G. I think it's a very unique lens that renders very beautifully.

11-24-2015, 03:56 PM - 3 Likes   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went an manhandled a lot of cameras last week and over the weekend did an event shooting with my new tool..... Here are my findings and test procedures:

- I went in with my laptop so I could instantly upload images to take a closer look.
- I brought a small white ball that we rolled down the counter to see how focus tracking works
- No hand strap, brace, or other support device
- Brought my own K3 and D810 with DA*50-135 f2.8 and 70-200mm f2.8 VR to compare AF accuracy and tracking abilities

Sony A7ii w/70-200mm f4 - This was heavier than I expected, it felt very awkward too compared to the rest. It actually triggered pressure points while I was holding it that I didn't know I had, so it got put down pretty quickly. It didn't help that this copy seemed to have a major white balance or color issue. Even after doing a factory reset the colour rendering gave everything a Matrixy green wash. Body wasn't the best for build quality either. They didn't have another copy to try, but I wasn't hurt by that either. AF was inaccurate as well. Big let down overall.

Nikon D750 w/70-200mm f4 - Saves a solid kilogram off the D810 combo I normally shoot. Very pricy though to go through root. Performed exactly as I expected... fantastic. The weight differences between the D750 and D810 bodies were not as noticeable to me compared to the mirrorless kits or Pentax kit.

Fuji X-T1 w/50-140mm f2.8 WR OIS R - I love this camera, always have, but always found it too redundant with the Pentax kit. Truth be told it is an excellent performer. 6400 iso is very usable and needs minimal noise reduction. it retains a ton of detail compared to even the K5 in my opinion. The AF is not the fastest, but after loading firmware 4 it improved and it did decently using the ball test. Once it locked on it was fine. Images are so very pretty. VSCO camera profiles are arguably better than the Fuji inbuilt ones for film simulation as the contrast it more balanced. Some quirky things though, like AF point selection requires a double tap. I ended up setting all the dial function buttons to AF point selection to get rid of the feeling of having to play Contra to select the AF points. Flash wont fire in the continuous modes... yea its quirky. But feels great! Battery grip is inexpensive to, has a pretty decent lens lineup with lenses that remind me most of the Limited series.

Olympus EM-1 w/50-150mm f2.8 - What a zoom range! It's kind of incredible really, but all artificial due to the 2x crop factor of m4/3. Autofocus was pretty quick, but I would not consider iso 6400 usable aside from in an emergency. The EVF was the biggest disappointment however, while large, bright, and detailed with a better refresh rate than my old EM-5, it felt as if I was looking through a submarine's window. Very nauseating and it actually made me sick to my stomach using it. I didnt' even both tracking and panning because of that...

Olympus EM5 mk2 w/50-150mm f2.8 and dual grip - There is now way to use that lens on the EM5 without the grips attached. But one they are on the handling is just as good if not better than the Em1. The viewfinder was smoother and not as "floating" as the Em1 which I really enjoyed. Tracking and AF speed was the best of the mirrorless crew, and by a long shot. At the end of the day iso 6400 is not very detailed and can start looking spongy very quickly when you start applying noise reduction.

Compared to the K3 the AF on the both the Fuji and Olympus are faster by a long shot. They are not as accurate or as quick as the D810 or D750 but that was to be expected. The wider array of AF points that cover the entire frame is nice to have compared to both systems, but really focusing in the outer corners is kind of silly isn't it?

At the end of the day I took the Fuji combination home along with the 35mm f2.0 WR prime and a pair of extra batteries. The system reminds me so much of shooting a Pentax LX with the FA Limited line of lenses that it is really second nature, but digital. The quirks are easy to adapt too and so far this has been the happiest I've been with the Fuji, being the third time I've taken it home. I did use it for an event on Saturday and felt much better the next day, in fact good enough to shoot a small afternoon even that I was asked to do last minute. Battery life does suck, but it's mirrorless and that is to be expected. It performed very well at both events and the image editing process was a little faster. The skin tones are outstanding. Unfortunately both were private events and hired functions so I cannot post images due to my agreement until the event producers do so themselves. However, I do some pretty cool shoots coming up over the next week so I should be able to get some wicked images there. Going back to 16mp is a bit scary after having so many to play with for two years now. But it was fine in my K5 days

Comparing the Xt1 and 50-140 to the K3 and DA*50-135

- X-T1 is much better at focusing overall. I'm starting to think that for the $1000 camera range Pentax may have the worst AF out there...I have not tired a K3 ii, so I will reserve judgement
- the DA*50-135 is incredibly slow compared to....pretty much everything other pro series lens I've touched. That's not to say it's not brilliant optically... but it needs an update for the mechanicals.
- K3 still wins ergonomically. such a well laid out camera. its hard to fault Pentax's physical design.
11-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great write-up, Wired. Thanks for posting it.

re Fuji X-T1, I'm curious about your feelings regarding it's exposure accuracy relative to other cameras. As I'm sure you know, there have been accusations that Fuji fudges it's ISO ratings, so that, for example, a photo shot at 1/250s f/4 ISO 100 will be darker on a Fuji X-T1 than on an APS-C DSLR. Did you get this impression?
11-24-2015, 06:39 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Even after doing a factory reset the colour rendering gave everything a Matrixy green wash.
Sony White balance is easy peezy

11-25-2015, 11:37 AM   #23
Pentaxian

That was a great post telling about your tests of these different systems, Wired. Thanks.

I hope someone at Ricoh reads this and sees that they need to get a better tracking AF system like, immediately. The brand suffers because of that. Hopefully, it's coming with the full frame, and can be trickled down to the APS-C system.
11-25-2015, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
That was a great post telling about your tests of these different systems, Wired. Thanks.

I hope someone at Ricoh reads this and sees that they need to get a better tracking AF system like, immediately. The brand suffers because of that. Hopefully, it's coming with the full frame, and can be trickled down to the APS-C system.
AH HA! But it has been addressed I do believe. I tried out the new 70-200mm f2.8 DFA* lens and the AF was lightning quick. But it's a big, heavy lens. If the new full-frame increases the number of AF points, coupled with that lens, it will be killer. the biggest issue for the AF speed with Pentax is 100% in the lens motors.

The biggest drawbacks for Pentax in my opinion:

1) Flash system
2) AF system

But the pros are:

1) amazing egronomics
2) fantastic glass
3) great color and rendering
4) good value for the money
5) amazing build quality
6) above average performance

They are trying, I do honestly believe that. I think the full-frame will spurr them. Unfortunatley for me, I think my move is now into mirrorless.

---------- Post added 11-25-2015 at 02:41 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Great write-up, Wired. Thanks for posting it.

re Fuji X-T1, I'm curious about your feelings regarding it's exposure accuracy relative to other cameras. As I'm sure you know, there have been accusations that Fuji fudges it's ISO ratings, so that, for example, a photo shot at 1/250s f/4 ISO 100 will be darker on a Fuji X-T1 than on an APS-C DSLR. Did you get this impression?
I haven't tested that as of yet to be honest. I probably won't have a chance too.

I got shoots Friday, Saturday, and Tuesday where I plan on using the X-T1 as my primary with my D810 in my bag just in case. These are all pretty big deal shoots for me so I don't know if I can get away with "hold on a sec and let me take the same photo with three cameras" comparison.... but I promise it will be something I do in the new year.

---------- Post added 11-25-2015 at 02:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sliver-Surfer Quote
Sony White balance is easy peezy
Custom White Balance Sony - YouTube
i don't think it was a white balance issue as it seemed to affect all white balance settings... even after a factory reset. I think it was a bad copy overall. I had that with an A7 last year too. it doesn't give me much hope for the product.
11-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't tested that as of yet to be honest. I probably won't have a chance too.

I got shoots Friday, Saturday, and Tuesday where I plan on using the X-T1 as my primary with my D810 in my bag just in case. These are all pretty big deal shoots for me so I don't know if I can get away with "hold on a sec and let me take the same photo with three cameras" comparison.... but I promise it will be something I do in the new year.
That would be . I've always been a Fuji fan and have owned a number of their cameras. If they had an ILC with IBIS I'd probably be shooting Fuji right now, a great match for my legacy glass.
11-25-2015, 04:26 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That would be . I've always been a Fuji fan and have owned a number of their cameras. If they had an ILC with IBIS I'd probably be shooting Fuji right now, a great match for my legacy glass.
I know the XT-1 gets great press, but that's a lot of money for the K-30 16Mp sensor with a Trans filter slapped on it!

Last edited by clackers; 11-25-2015 at 04:38 PM.
11-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I went an manhandled a lot of cameras last week and over the weekend did an event shooting with my new tool..... Here are my findings and test procedures:
Thanks for that, very interesting. I went for Olympus for my mirrorless. I like the size/weight saving, the IBIS and being able to shoot wide open with very decent results. I tried a Fuji X-T1 and liked it very much, especially their lenses, but found their system so similar to Pentax that it seemed like a side-grade rather than a new experience. And some of those Fuji lenses are really quite large. I guess it is all horses for courses and my needs are pretty simple. For example, I've almost never shot at above 1600 ISO even on Pentax because I am interested in better results than 3200+ is going to produce on smaller sensors. I just walk on by ... But I hope you really enjoy your new Fuji! Apologies if this is off topic and not about Sony. I can see the attraction of the Sony A7 series but something about it doesn't quite do it for me.

Last edited by mecrox; 11-25-2015 at 04:50 PM.
11-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Lot of money for the K-30 16Mp sensor with a Trans filter slapped on it!
That X-Trans sensor isn't a selling point with me. It's the EVF. More and more I'm shooting with old glass, and a good EVF would be a boon.

I'm still content with Pentax. If I were starting out on my photographic journey again, I would consider Pentax, Fuji, Oly. All 3 have mostly strengths and few weaknesses for my use.
11-25-2015, 04:41 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That X-Trans sensor isn't a selling point with me. It's the EVF. More and more I'm shooting with old glass, and a good EVF would be a boon.
I have an A7 and find the EVF not up to an OVF, especially with a split focus screen, but as I understand it, the XT-1 EVF is really good for what it is.
11-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Thanks for that, very interesting. I went for Olympus for my mirrorless. I like the size/weight saving, the IBIS and being able to shoot wide open with very decent results. I tried a Fuji X-T1 and liked it very much, especially their lenses, but found their system so similar to Pentax that it seemed like a side-grade rather than a new experience. And some of those Fuji lenses are really quite large. I guess it is all horses for courses and my needs are pretty simple. For example, I've almost never shot at above 1600 ISO even on Pentax because I am interested in better results than 3200+ is going to produce on smaller sensors. I just walk on by ... But I hope you really enjoy your new Fuji! Apologies if this is off topic and not about Sony. I can see the attraction of the Sony A7 series but something about it doesn't quite do it for me.
Yea, the olympus is for sure the better option for size and weight saving. I'm totally with you on the X-T1 feeling redundant to a Pentax system. I felt the same way. The AF is where the improvement for me was enough, and as a working paid photographer, I need a tool I can rely on without destroying the health of my body like the D810 kit does. If I wasn't getting paid I'd probably just stick with the Pentax because it is a lot of money to spend on something that is very similar to a Pentax system and only better in a few areas.

I'm still content with Pentax. If I were starting out on my photographic journey again, I would consider Pentax, Fuji, Oly. All 3 have mostly strengths and few weaknesses for my use.
The EVF is amazing. it really is. I'm impressed every time I look through it.

I have an A7 and find the EVF not up to an OVF, especially with a split focus screen, but as I understand it, the XT-1 EVF is really good for what it is.
Yup, it's that EVF!

I know the XT-1 gets great press, but that's a lot of money for the K-30 16Mp sensor with a Trans filter slapped on it!
the K30's 16mp sensor has always been really good. I'd like to see a source on that info, but I'm pretty impressed with it so far. There are other elements to a system other than the sensor though. If it came down to the sensor less people would buy Canon lol. I have an emotional attachment to Pentax, but I look at my Nikon and Fuji kit's as professional tools the same way an automotive technician would look at a wrench. I get what is the best tool for the job for the demands of the job I'm doing at the time. For me, the Pentax's lack of AF points and AF speed/accuracy are not going to get me paid and the Nikon system is going to destroy my body.