Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was shooting with the Olympus E-3 before switching to Pentax. I really loved Olympus glass. If Olympus made a FF body, I would probably be shooting with Olympus. Very well made products and I prefer the 4/3 aspect ratio.

Fuji makes good stuff. Their bodies a little quirky for my taste and the image quality of the K-3 is just as good. If Fuji does bring a MF mirrorless to market I might be a convert.

The A7II has great image quality. I love the files. The camera itself is decent. I don't really love the camera, but when I open the files and go to work, I love the colors and the look. The face tracking and eye AF is really nice feature for 'togs who work with people. AF accuracy has been excellent. AF speed? Its as good as a K-3 which isn't saying much.

11-26-2015, 04:11 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Winder Quote
I was shooting with the Olympus E-3 before switching to Pentax. I really loved Olympus glass. If Olympus made a FF body, I would probably be shooting with Olympus. Very well made products and I prefer the 4/3 aspect ratio.

Fuji makes good stuff. Their bodies a little quirky for my taste and the image quality of the K-3 is just as good. If Fuji does bring a MF mirrorless to market I might be a convert.

The A7II has great image quality. I love the files. The camera itself is decent. I don't really love the camera, but when I open the files and go to work, I love the colors and the look. The face tracking and eye AF is really nice feature for 'togs who work with people. AF accuracy has been excellent. AF speed? Its as good as a K-3 which isn't saying much.
Coincidentally, I had an email this morning from Olympus announcing a firmware update to my camera which introduces automatic focus bracketing among other goodies (it already has a +/- 40 mpx high-res mode). I do like the way Olympus, Fuji and maybe others keep things fresh with their firmware policy and I rather wish Ricoh would do the same. It all helps to keep your users close and maybe think of buying new things like a macro lens to get the most out of that new focus bracketing feature (er, if it works ...).
11-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Coincidentally, I had an email this morning from Olympus announcing a firmware update to my camera which introduces automatic focus bracketing among other goodies (it already has a +/- 40 mpx high-res mode). I do like the way Olympus, Fuji and maybe others keep things fresh with their firmware policy and I rather wish Ricoh would do the same. It all helps to keep your users close and maybe think of buying new things like a macro lens to get the most out of that new focus bracketing feature (er, if it works ...).
I think we will see this from Ricoh in the near future. The new generation of processors are a lot more powerful and flexible.
11-26-2015, 09:28 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
I'm going to look into the weight savings of a 70-200 f4 lens and maybe a D750 as well. If I can save enough weight that may do it there.
You mean as opposed to a K-3 with the 50-135 ƒ2.8 which will give you the same noise, DoF FoV, and a faster shutter speed, than the D750 with an 70-200 ƒ4?

D750- 750 grams (was it named for it's weight?)
70-200 ƒ4.. 850 grams
1.6 kilos.

K-3 785 grams
DA* 50-135 765 kms with hood.
1.5 kilos.

Cost Canadian $2500 for the Pentax, $4000 for the Nikon, for pretty much the same capability.
The Pentax is cheaper, lighter (slightly) , and less money overall and per kilo.

How do you win doing that?

Last edited by normhead; 11-26-2015 at 09:38 AM.
11-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You mean as opposed to a K-3 with the 50-135 ƒ2.8 which will give you the same noise, DoF FoV, and a faster shutter speed, than the D750 with an 70-200 ƒ4?

D750- 750 grams (was it named for it's weight?)
70-200 ƒ4.. 850 grams
1.6 kilos.

K-3 785 grams
DA* 50-135 765 kms with hood.
1.5 kilos.

Cost Canadian $2500 for the Pentax, $4000 for the Nikon, for pretty much the same capability.
The Pentax is cheaper, lighter (slightly) , and less money overall and per kilo.

How do you win doing that?

DA*50-135mm f2.8 SDM motor is too slow to keep up with runway models. My hit rate during the last runway I shot with that combo was very low. even using back button focus methods. While my Nikon kit had a 99% hit rate.

Usually what happens is I got the girl at the end of the runway, I turn to get the next girl at the start of the runway and the AF system racks like crazy and doesn't lock until shes now out of frame. If it does lock it doesn't track reliably and I miss the shot. Seeing as how I'm getting paid for this, not acceptable. If it was for fun I'd just be disappointed.
11-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Now that is just truly disappointing....
11-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
too slow to keep up with runway models
What do they use to light these runways, flaming torches?

11-26-2015, 11:35 AM   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
It probably doesn't make much difference, it is what it is. You gotta go with what works in the environment you work in. They aren't going to change their lighting just so you can use a K-3.
11-26-2015, 02:23 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
It probably doesn't make much difference, it is what it is. You gotta go with what works in the environment you work in. They aren't going to change their lighting just so you can use a K-3.
it's not the lighting. It's the physical speed of the AF motor.

granted, at the "big show" here every 6 months the lighting is pretty good when it comes to fashion shows. I'm usually setup on my D810 for 800 iso 1/125-1/250 depending on my angle of attack (more light on the left side vs right side of the stage), and fstop is usually f4. My K3 I sit iso 1000, 1/125-1/250 at f2.8. This is for us roamers though. When I was sitting in the pit I had no problem with the K3.

There have been fashion shows I've shot where I have been at 1/125, f2.8, and iso 128,000 and still have to push a stop in lightroom so you can see the dresses. at that point its a choma garbaled mess though.
11-26-2015, 10:27 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Increase your usable images with the Sony A7ii | Justin Myers Photography
"Increase your usable images with the Sony A7ii"