Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sony A7 users - opinions please

I'm thinking of grabbing an A7II more and more lately and I'm looking for some opinions. This will potentially be replacing a lot of Pentax gear. I'll still be keeping my K3 and DA*55, DA*50-135, FA Limited, DA Limiteds, DA10-17. But the rest will probably go (a lot of M lenses, old film bodies, K5, DA*16-50, maybe more....).

My main setup is a Nikon D800/D810 with 16-35, 24-70, 70-200, 135 and 50mm lenses with Profoto strobes. My main reasoning for going with nikon was the need for full frame (low light), and the extra resolution (I was shooting K5 only at the time) but most of all the flash sync speed. I'm usually around 1/250" most of the time, which is the A7II's limit. I'm not looking to replace the Nikon kit, but instead use it only for my fashion photography and studio portrait work which is the bulk of my shooting.

Lately I've been using my Pentax kit only for event shooting, but the AF speed has been a big issue for me as has the limited flash sync speed. I'm using it less and less and been relying on my D810 for pretty much everything since August. My K3 has been used twice since I got it. That being said, the Nikon kit is way to heavy and I'm getting arthritis issues and muscle spasms from hand holding that much weight for sometimes 2-3 hours straight. Since event shooting has become a main element of my income I need to look at alternatives. A lot of it is lower light and the Pentax doesn't work very well for that either.

So I'm looking for opinions of the noise at iso 6400 on the A7 when editing raw files. I'm also looking for opinions on the AF speed using the native lenses.

Essentially the kit I'm looking at getting just after Christmas depending on available funds and how my Pentax stuff sells is:

A7ii body
battery grip
Sonar T*55mm f1.8
FE 70-200mm f4

I'm not worried about the f4 aperture as I have been shooting most of my events on the D810 with my 70-200mm f2.8 set to f4 anyways. I don't know the last time I took my 70-200 off my camera when shooting an event so I'm sure thats all I would need for now....

Also how is the weight of this compared to a K3 with DA*50-135 or D800 with 70-200 f2.8 VRII?

thanks friends

11-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Can't comment on usability as I have none of the above lenses/cameras mentioned but you can see the size difference Sony vs Nikon:
Compact Camera Meter
11-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
KDD
Veteran Member

A7 ii or a7r ii or a7s ii???????
11-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The camera size didn't have the 50-135 lens, but the DA* 200 is about the same size. 77x136 (50-135) vs 83x134 (200)
Here's the comparison with the three systems:
Compact Camera Meter

11-17-2015, 03:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You can adapt all your Pentax lenses to the A7II, the manual lenses will work better then the digital stuff (aperture control etc.), but it will all have some functionality. You may want to rethink dumping the older lenses. YMMV obviously.

Sorry I can't help with your questions, I'm still shooting my 5N with rangefinder lenses.
11-17-2015, 04:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KDD Quote
A7 ii or a7r ii or a7s ii???????

24mp a7ii

would consider the 36mp a7r because I don't need 42mp, but I hear the AF on that model is kinda crap.
11-17-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
Pentaxian

3 systems? You are a pro. Do what you need to do. If the Pentax gear isnt cutting it and you dont want to wait for the FF then sell all the Apsc stuff including the K3 that you dont use. And keep the M glass and any other FF glass to use with the A7ii. That is what I would do.
Or just buy any really good Nikon glass that you dont have yet. Or maybe a lighter body. Like a d750 with an 85mm f1.4.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 11-17-2015 at 04:31 PM.
11-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
3 systems? You are a pro. Do what you need to do. If the Pentax gear isnt cutting it and you dont want to wait for the FF then sell all the Apsc stuff including the K3 that you dont use. And keep the M glass and any other FF glass to use with the A7ii. That is what I would do.
Or just buy any really good Nikon glass that you dont have yet. Or maybe a lighter body. Like a d750 with an 85mm f1.4.

It would ultimately just be two systems. The Pentax I would be keeping for family and travel. Nothing beats it for size vs ability and that's the truth.

For my fashion and portrait work 80% of my time is spent without a camera in my hand. So the Nikon is fine and there is no glass left for me to get that I need for what I do.

The event stuff is where I need to shed weight. For example, at a fashion runway event (I do one monthly lately) I'm in shooting position for 2-4 hours (depending on the event) straight. The Pentax doesn't track models fast enough and after handling the new 70-200 which would more than do the job as the AF is amazing...but the weight of it would probably kill me just the same.

The other thing I could try is a Nikon 70-200 f4 with the D750.... That's not a bad idea.
11-17-2015, 06:28 PM   #9
osv
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
That being said, the Nikon kit is way to heavy and I'm getting arthritis issues and muscle spasms from hand holding that much weight for sometimes 2-3 hours straight.
when i shot video for a living i had to use portable support systems similar to this: VariZoom VZ-LSP Pro Shoulder Brace VZ-LSP B&H Photo Video and this: Dot Line DLC V9 HDSLR Camera Support DL-V9 B&H Photo Video

sony will save you a bit of weight, but supporting your gear like that will make a huge difference.

A7ii body
battery grip
Sonar T*55mm f1.8
FE 70-200mm f4
i'd try the support system first, but if you must, i think that the a7rii is reputed to have better af than the a7ii... if nothing else, there are more pdaf receptors, that cover a bigger area of the sensor.
11-17-2015, 07:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I'd say 'No' based on how often you mention cameras don't fit you for one thing or another here.
This is purely based on your postings here on PF, so as internet things go, I may be entirely off key on this.

There will always be work arounds and ways to work with the camera to get what we want.
I even use the A7 w/ manual lens and manual flash for weddings and concert events.
But its the "What I want to compromise?" that you'd have to decide if the issues are alright for you.

Reasons :
1. There will be a lag in a dimmer studio for the EVF.
2. The AF while faster now, will still 'hesitate' in dimmer places.
3. In dimmer places, the CDAF can often get confused and focus at something else that is within the same AF box, but more contrasty. (eg. On the head, it will go for the more contrasty ear>hair area rather than the eye)
4. 1/250 max sync speed is a half truth imo. Sometimes, I do see the shutter in a part of the pict. So often, I end up using 1/200, 1/180.
5. Sony flash system isn't that good at all (its more like the Pentax one than Canikon)
6. f4 lens, in a darker studio, the gain on the EVF will start to go up, affecting focus judgement.
5. You may need to set 'Settings affect EVF=OFF' via menu digging when doing strobe work if your camera/flash is on manual.

I'd think a Nikon D610, DF, D750 will perhaps be better, but you won't get away from the encumbrance.
11-17-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I'd say 'No' based on how often you mention cameras don't fit you for one thing or another here.
This is purely based on your postings here on PF, so as internet things go, I may be entirely off key on this.

There will always be work arounds and ways to work with the camera to get what we want.
I even use the A7 w/ manual lens and manual flash for weddings and concert events.
But its the "What I want to compromise?" that you'd have to decide if the issues are alright for you.

Reasons :
1. There will be a lag in a dimmer studio for the EVF.
2. The AF while faster now, will still 'hesitate' in dimmer places.
3. In dimmer places, the CDAF can often get confused and focus at something else that is within the same AF box, but more contrasty. (eg. On the head, it will go for the more contrasty ear>hair area rather than the eye)
4. 1/250 max sync speed is a half truth imo. Sometimes, I do see the shutter in a part of the pict. So often, I end up using 1/200, 1/180.
5. Sony flash system isn't that good at all (its more like the Pentax one than Canikon)
6. f4 lens, in a darker studio, the gain on the EVF will start to go up, affecting focus judgement.
5. You may need to set 'Settings affect EVF=OFF' via menu digging when doing strobe work if your camera/flash is on manual.

I'd think a Nikon D610, DF, D750 will perhaps be better, but you won't get away from the encumbrance.
You bring up great points.

I'm going to look into the weight savings of a 70-200 f4 lens and maybe a D750 as well. If I can save enough weight that may do it there.

Your right, I'm very picky and have used a lot of cameras with the only constant being the D800/810 and K5/K3. The truth is the Pentax kit works just fine for weddings and that's all I've used it for, but I only do one or two a year now since I've changed my focus. It would be fine if the AF of the DA*50-135 was faster and the camera handled noise better. But unless Pentax plans on updating that lens with the same drive as the new 70-200 I think I'm stuck...

I guess the other question is, I'm ramping up my low light event shooting now. But where will I be in 6 months time? Is it worth the damage to my body that it's doing now to wait 6 months to see if I'm still enjoying these assignments?

Time to do some math

---------- Post added 11-17-2015 at 09:52 PM ----------

A D750 without grip and the 70-200mm f4 will save me over a kilogram of weight... how interesting. I dont' think it's that much lighter than an A7ii and the Sony 70-200 f4. which will be made up in extra batteries I'm sure.

In addition, if I just drop the grip from my D810 and goto the 70-200mm f4 it will save me about 900 grams or so. which still isn't nothing to cry about.

Last edited by Wired; 11-17-2015 at 09:54 PM.
11-17-2015, 10:11 PM - 1 Like   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You may be better off preserving the best lenses from your Nikon and Pentax collections, Wired.

It's your health and your income, the rest of us can have our opinions on your situation, but at the end of the day you have to do what's best by you. That can also mean spending more money, going Sony and f4 as you say.

As a rank amateur, though, I find the Pentax system fantastic for events. The K-S1 is tiny, the DA*50-135 and Sigma 17-50 give me the small and light f2.8 zooms I need, everything is at low cost, and I don't have trouble with sync speeds, autofocus or flash, day or night, moving or stationary subjects. It all goes in a small backpack I keep in the car (thieves, don't read this!). Just from the last few weekends:

Last edited by clackers; 11-17-2015 at 10:40 PM.
11-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

So I'm looking for opinions of the noise at iso 6400 on the A7 when editing raw files
I have shot a couple of wedding now with my A7II. Firmware is coming out tomorrow to open up uncompressed RAW and some AF improvements.
The 55mm F/1.8 is a special lens. Perfect blend of size and IQ. Sharpness and subject separation is really good with the bokeh you expect from a sonnar.

AF in low-light is pretty average.
Eye AF is something you need to try if you shoot a lot of models and portraits. You will really like it.... Really like it. The A7rII offers it in C-AF. A7II doesn't track.
ISO 6400 cleans up pretty well, but it depends on how dark it is. Rarely go that high. I keep it at 3200 or below. Colors and skin tones hold up better than the K-3 at higher ISO.

The 24-70 F/2.8 FE is coming soon. The 90mm FE macro is a really sharp lens. Love the colors.

Size and weight of the A7 line is great. AF is still not up to the D810 for speed, but AF accuracy is better and they eyes are practically always in focus. I'm holding out for an A9 option over the A7rII. The A7II is an excellent value and I don't need 42 or even 36MP for portraits. I just want faster/better AF and tracking.
11-17-2015, 10:34 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I like may a7 for events. Keep in mind the 5axis stabilization in A7ii is claimed to give you 4.5 stops of correction.
iso5000
11-17-2015, 10:37 PM   #15
Pentaxian

You bring up great points.

I'm going to look into the weight savings of a 70-200 f4 lens and maybe a D750 as well. If I can save enough weight that may do it there.

Your right, I'm very picky and have used a lot of cameras with the only constant being the D800/810 and K5/K3. The truth is the Pentax kit works just fine for weddings and that's all I've used it for, but I only do one or two a year now since I've changed my focus. It would be fine if the AF of the DA*50-135 was faster and the camera handled noise better. But unless Pentax plans on updating that lens with the same drive as the new 70-200 I think I'm stuck...

I guess the other question is, I'm ramping up my low light event shooting now. But where will I be in 6 months time? Is it worth the damage to my body that it's doing now to wait 6 months to see if I'm still enjoying these assignments?

Time to do some math

---------- Post added 11-17-2015 at 09:52 PM ----------

A D750 without grip and the 70-200mm f4 will save me over a kilogram of weight... how interesting. I dont' think it's that much lighter than an A7ii and the Sony 70-200 f4. which will be made up in extra batteries I'm sure.

In addition, if I just drop the grip from my D810 and goto the 70-200mm f4 it will save me about 900 grams or so. which still isn't nothing to cry about.

No point playing with your health esp if its tendon and bone as it gets really slow to recover with age.

Consider converting your 50-135 to screw drive (if you can find a fellow Pentax user where you live with a K5/K7 and can live with the sound of the screw drive AF).
Lots of guys here in Singapore have done this and are very happy with the AF speed on the K3.
In fact, they are having a conversion session tonight,

Sticking to a Nikon setup does have another advantage in that if the lens AF motor fails on the field, you can MF.
With an electronic lens for Sony, there will be nothing that can be done.

Why not just apsc and downsample to hide the noise?