Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2015, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
UAV DRONE CLUB-All Makes Photos and Videos

Hi Guys,

I recently picked up a DJI Phantom 3 Standard-Sale price $549 at Sam's Club. Anyway I searched the forum and I didn't see an existing thread and this seemed the logical place so let's see who is flying drones!

This is a short composite video I've had about 10 flights so far.

I can't figure out how to embed the video lol here's a link.

11-22-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Got my daughter interested in drones, and we picked up a lower-priced one to learn on. It has a video/still camera that attaches, but we haven't flown the drone with the camera yet. Rather go through the crashes without the camera onboard. But soon we'll start taking photos and videos, and we'll be back on this thread. Thanks for starting it.
11-23-2015, 05:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
we haven't flown the drone with the camera yet. Rather go through the crashes without the camera onboard. But soon we'll start taking photos and videos, and we'll be back on this thread. Thanks for starting it.
That is a good idea, I bought a cheap $25 SYMA to learn on, after learning to fly that little thing I got all the crashes out of my system. The DJI is so much easier to fly with the GPS and smarts it's a dream!
11-23-2015, 07:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We were thinking of updating, when the time comes, to a Bebop Parrot. It's highly tempting. But, new drones are coming on the market regularly, so we'll see what we end up with and when.

11-23-2015, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh yeah!
I love my DJI P3P!

---------- Post added 11-23-15 at 10:36 AM ----------

Long because so many people were in the video.

A nice afternoon with a friend

I got permission to fly the pumpkin patch!

Eye candy for where I work.

Testing low flyng and some abstract

My first day with the Phantom 3

Last edited by LaurenOE; 11-23-2015 at 08:42 AM.
11-23-2015, 10:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Oh yeah!
I love my DJI P3P!

Looks really Nice Lauren! That eye candy for work is great, and I also like the pumpkin patch. I'm a bit leery of flying near trees still, but I'm sure I'll get more confident with practice. Are you flying that walkway in the oracle video free hand or are you using a mode like coarse lock or home lock? Great stuff again!
11-23-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ToyTank Quote
Looks really Nice Lauren! That eye candy for work is great, and I also like the pumpkin patch. I'm a bit leery of flying near trees still, but I'm sure I'll get more confident with practice. Are you flying that walkway in the oracle video free hand or are you using a mode like coarse lock or home lock? Great stuff again!
Everything is free hand.
No way can I trust automation flying that close to stuff.

The P3P is very delicate and it will fall like a stone.

I LOVE my P3P.

11-24-2015, 04:29 AM   #8
Pentaxian

So ... don't let the thread die already?!

I don't own a drone but has considered buying one. I would be curious to see what you use, as I'm not ready to bleed the cash for a Phantom yet. Personally, I consider buying a drone and mount a camera (I have access to a GoPro but would rather prefer something along the line of the WG line)
11-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
SYMA makes the X11C or X5C models that are pretty cheap and have a low quality camera. Good way to get your feet wet. Learn to fly one if these cheap quads and a P3 will be a cake walk.

I also considered the "Aries Blackbird X10" When it was $299 but it only has single axis stabilizer(up down) and some reviews state recording fails to start.

The Parrot Bebop is another option, I don't know much about it.

The Phantom gives a ton of functionality for the price, you get Bird, Cam, Gimbal, Radio, FPV, GPS, 22 min Flight time, etc even on "cheap" $600 Phantom 3 Standard.

I was being an Idiot and almost backed into a power line yesterday, in fact I threaded the needle between upper and lower lines. I'm and idiot, did not see them.

11-24-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Close call with those power lines! It looks cool though.

I know getting the Phantom would probably be the wisest thing to do, but I have so many expenses right now (and I'm not even counting Christmas into it) I plan to go to Morocco on a bike trip in the new year and having a drone with me in the Atlas mountains and Sahara would be cool ... and a pain. I think I'll see if I stumble upon a good offer on something cheap.
11-24-2015, 12:23 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SYMA makes the X11C or X5C models that are pretty cheap and have a low quality camera. Good way to get your feet wet. Learn to fly one if these cheap quads and a P3 will be a cake walk.

I also considered the "Aries Blackbird X10" When it was $299 but it only has single axis stabilizer(up down) and some reviews state recording fails to start.

The Parrot Bebop is another option, I don't know much about it.

The Phantom gives a ton of functionality for the price, you get Bird, Cam, Gimbal, Radio, FPV, GPS, 22 min Flight time, etc even on "cheap" $600 Phantom 3 Standard.

I was being an Idiot and almost backed into a power line yesterday, in fact I threaded the needle between upper and lower lines. I'm and idiot, did not see them.

Between the lines - YouTube
For the most part, we are in an age, where too many dronetards have paved the way for prejudice towards them. As a drone operator we have to make up lost time and show that drones are a valid camera platform for the masses.

When a drone screws up, it affects all of us.

I've had several times where I get the "Drones are not welcome here" so I do my best to be the perfect operator.

A couple of things I've learned.

1) Humans have evolved to see things move in the sky. Not much is perfectly still in the sky, and when something like the P3P hovers motionless - and I mean motionless as the P3P can, it freaks people out.

2) The P3P, once about 150 feet away gets VERY small and hard to follow. Since I use my P3P as a camera platform, I am not comfortable losing line-of-sight control or not knowing the attitude of the aircraft.

3) The signal of the P3P (like any drone) is not guaranteed, so if you fly it out of sight, you're being an idiot.

4) The P3P is delicate.

5) Buy a landing mat or something for the drone to take off from. Less debris.

6) Knowing the flight characteristics are vital. Things like ground effect and down wash, rotor vortex and prop suction when close to things, are invisible and not common sense.

7) Play video games to get muscle memory with the controller. I invert my "stick" on the P3P to match flight sims I have played over the years...it has saved my butt on a few occasions.

8) Stay away from people that might not like drones, and pets. It appears that the ultrasonic positioning of the P3P freaks dogs out.

9) Be aware at the speed of your drone. They are FAST.

10)Respect the airspace and don't be a dronetard.

11-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Great thread, very interested in this new area of photography(so whats my Xmas pressie?...4K tv..new laptop,...DRONE!).

Just recently, the second version of the Parrot Bebop was announced, similar to initial model but a battery life to match the Phantom.

Plenty more options will come sooner rather than later, Alfred Hitchcocks "the Birds" has gone hi tech!
11-24-2015, 01:24 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
Great thread, very interested in this new area of photography(so whats my Xmas pressie?...4K tv..new laptop,...DRONE!).

Just recently, the second version of the Parrot Bebop was announced, similar to initial model but a battery life to match the Phantom.

Plenty more options will come sooner rather than later, Alfred Hitchcocks "the Birds" has gone hi tech!
The Phantom is just awesome with how much tech they packed into it.
It is *the* drone to beat.

I sure hope that GoPro's will be good, as 3DR is just not cutting it.

The integration of the DJI is just too good.
It's light years ahead of the competition.
11-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here's the AMA safety code- joining isn't a bad idea comes with some insurance and being a member grants a veneer of respectability. If you found a local chartered club you could probably get some lessons, some flight time, and maybe check out some used drones for sale.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
The Phantom is just awesome with how much tech they packed into it.
It is *the* drone to beat.

I sure hope that GoPro's will be good, as 3DR is just not cutting it.

The integration of the DJI is just too good.
It's light years ahead of the competition.
I agree DJI really future proofed the P3P. I could see upgrading from the standard, just to get lightbridge! I always fly line of site, but at several hundred yards FPV can be helpful for avoiding things like power lines
11-24-2015, 02:58 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's the AMA safety code- joining isn't a bad idea comes with some insurance and being a member grants a veneer of respectability. If you found a local chartered club you could probably get some lessons, some flight time, and maybe check out some used drones for sale.

https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

I agree DJI really future proofed the P3P. I could see upgrading from the standard, just to get lightbridge! I always fly line of site, but at several hundred yards FPV can be helpful for avoiding things like power lines
Yep...I think people who have not flown a P3P/A do not realize just *how* good they are. When I show people how the Phantom just sits in the air, they are astonished.

The ultrasonic position and visual (VPS) are amazing indoors.

The "Create" Video above...towards the end, from about - 03:46-04:01 - those are internal shots...that look like the camera was on a crane. Mind-blowing stability even inside.

The Phantom is a paradigm changer.